X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The victory anouncement

BEING - TEAM ALPHA CENTAURI
    for immediate publication

TEAM ALPHA CENTAURI DECLARES ITSELF THE ONE TRUE RULER OF THIS PLANET AND THE -AS OF YET UNDISCOVERED- UNIVERSE

880AD - We have scouting parties all over the world.

We know the diplomatic people who call themselves "Gathering Storm". We know the whereabouts of their cities and the location of their most important resources. We have much experience in diplomatic contacts with them, and we know how to get them to do what we want (just do what they want). In recent times this diplomatic experience has been neglected a bit and we are know getting to know their military defenses. It's a tough defense. We had some succes at the beginning of our war, mostly due to the surprise effect, but GS re-organised themselves and held off our attack at the next city. This was a severe setback, but from this experience we knew we had to focus on surprises. We loaded up some of our troops on galleys and started pinching at strategically important, but relatively undefended spots along their coast. Some of these attacks were very succesful, some others made us lose small parts of our army. All of them however, made it necessary for GS to spread out their defensive army instead of concentrating on one city at a time. This is where we stand now, we don't claim a millitary victory over GS -yet-. We are sure though, that in the long run, we will win this war.

We also have some scouts roaming about on a different continent. We discovered the three tribes of "The Horde", "The Mercenaries" and "Sarantium". Between each of these three, there is some area of wasteland, as a reminder of some violent wars they must have fought between each other. Now everything seemed peaceful there and our scouts didn't notice any direct hostillity towards team AC. However, they could feel very clearly the trust between these tribes themselves is gone forever. Our galleys are on the way to pick them up again, because we think the wastelands between those territories won't be a peaceful place for much longer.

We have sailed around the globe and didn't find any other tribes. It seems there is no real peaceful place anywhere on this planet and that's a pity. The population of this world is constantly declining. Several hundred years ago, our scouts used to encounter lots and lots of friends from different tribes while walking through the woods. Now however, it seems as if we could walk up to the center of these territories without encountering anyone. All vibrant cities have become empty ghost towns. We have started to see this happening in team AC too and it's not a pretty sight. The things our people used to do for fun, seem to have become a chore now.

If we want to survive as a species and not become the food or slaves of some wild animals, we have to unite. The only solution we see, is to start living together. All of us. We will encounter new interesting people, we will be able to exchange stories and experience. The ghost towns will be revitalised and morale will rise again. This is our vision.

We welcome all of you to move to our houses and unite under the glory of The One Yang! While it might be seen as arrogant by some, we really do believe team AC will be the best home for all of us. To quote an influencial member of the government :
    We are far and away ahead on all aspects of the Demographics screen an our industrial and technological might mean we can easily absorb 2:1 losses in warfare with GS, thus our victory over them is inevitable.

Team Alpha Centauri

[end role-play]

We would like to welcome any guests in our forum, wheter they were part of any team or just visitors who don't even have a login on apolyton. We want our forum publicly open, because we think it's the best way to encourage new visitors to participate in (new) demogames.
    Last edited by PJayTycy; September 2, 2008, 15:44.
    no sig

peacefull -> peaceful
    successfull -> successful
    pitty -> pity

(Just trying to do my bit as the token native english speaker

It's really good. I say post it.

Comment

PJay, does that mean you'll have some free time for Planetfall?
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Lacero, thanks for the corrections, I edited the text...
        no sig

Comment

I'd add that we are far and away ahead on all aspects of the Demographics screen an our industrial and technological might mean we can easily absorb 2:1 losses in warfare with GS, thus our victory over them is inevitable.

I've basically stopped looking at the forum as things have been soooo slow, I'd support ending the game if we have no committed turn player.

P.S. The turn has been sent to us by PLATO
          Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

The turn has been played 99% (just one question remains : do we move in our main force or not)

The text has been updated with impaler's suggestion and a non-roleplay part about opening the forums.
            no sig

Comment

Leave the main force ware it is, we would be sending it not for a real attack but as a message. But the message is clear to GS already. If by some chance the game should continue we want to have played in the optimum fashion which we know is to build up and bide our time.
              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

So, any post-game analysis why team AC grew so much faster than the other teams? Was it the luck with Metal Casting from a goodie hut, or are the other teams really crap at playing civ??

Comment

I would say, same reason as why the spartans won the last ACDG : I think we had the most active members.

When you write down the possible options for a report on the forum, it makes you think more about them than if you just play by yourself. I really think this alone makes a big difference.

Also, when I was keeping track of foreign intelligence data, I noticed a big difference between Team AC and Team Mercs vs the other teams: we didn't grow to population 2 for the first ~20 years. We built a worker first. The other teams quickly went up to a population of 4, and only then started on a worker / settler.

That, together with the Metal Casting pop and the fact we are better players ofcourse :-)
                  no sig

Comment

Originally posted by PJayTycy
                    I would say, same reason as why the spartans won the last ACDG : I think we had the most active members.
                    Yeah. When will people ever learn that a DG should only have a small number of teams if you want them all to stay active until the end.

Comment

Originally posted by PJayTycy
                      I don't think that is quite true. Data Angels still had a significant number of active participants until near the end.

Spartans won for a combinations of reasons but more active members wasn't one of them.
                      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Looks like GS and Mercs are happy to concede. If the others don't we'll be fighting all the way until the end

Comment

We did more micromanagement and generally took the game more seriously, I would say.
                          Definitely I was taking it too serious.
                          So serious I managed to seriously annoy some of the players , my gf and my business partner (by not doing some stuff I promised to do over weekend / evenings and instead planning, discussing and playing AC).

Anyways, this was a great game, my first real demogame and I liked playing the turns and micromanaging a lot!
                          Thanks to everyone who was in, it was great!
                          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
                          X