Searching for English speaking people in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for English speaking people in France

Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

I had a French bus driver on the gas station I work at. He had filled some hundred litres of gas and wanted to pay with a French card that required a drivers licence or ID card to be accepted. I used several minutes to tell this french-only speaking guy this, and since I can only speak English and German aside from Norwegian, it was a little bit hard. After 5 minutes I had found out that they didn't have drivers licences in France( ) and that identification was an unknown word, even when I tried to pronounce it identifiqatjon in a frenchie manner. Then suddenly he burst out identification francause or something and went away for some minutes to find it. Silly frenchie.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Just write the word, as it's the same.

Comment

I'm sure they have drivers lisceneces and id cards in France
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
          identification was an unknown word, even when I tried to pronounce it identifiqatjon in a frenchie manner. Then suddenly he burst out identification francause or something and went away for some minutes to find it. Silly frenchie.
          In french 'identification' is mostly used for objects... or dead corpses, things you want to identify.
          If you used the word 'identification', he was probably trying to understand what you were trying to identify.
          For a person you should use the word 'identité', who are you, what is your 'identity'.
          So you should not have asked his 'identification card', but his 'identity card'.
          It's like asking 'What are you? Please show me your identification mark/tattoo', instead of 'Who are you? Please show me your identity card?'.

Silly french, upset that you treated him like an imported piece of meat, without identification...
          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
            I'm sure they have drivers lisceneces and id cards in France
            Me too. But this one didn't understand any word except French ones. And I've never learned any French in my life, except some word here and there from songs and such. I do remember when the song vole vocco che aleqva or something in that direction was so popular. All we kids sang it all the time, unbeknownst of what it meant. We did quit singing it when they were told what it meant though, for some reason.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Silly french, upset that you treated him like an imported piece of meat, without identification...

Very silly, he was mostly fat anyway.

Comment

They hide. They know the native Frenchmen will attack them if they speak English.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Typical French ****s. That's why it makes it into British Media.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                    the song vole vocco che aleqva or something in that direction
                    Holy ****. It took me so much time to find out which one you meant:
                    Voulez-vous coucher avec moi...

Edit: add this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Marmalade
                    The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Don't expect me to know how to write French. Even those I know who had French in school, have problems with the language.

Comment

Dry:

that song was re-done by Christina Aguilera, Pink, Mya, and the rapper Lil Kim. I'm sure thats the version Nikolai was referring to, not the Patti LaBelle song.

Comment

That's correct.

Comment

Working...
                          X