Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 year old Saudi girl asking for divorce.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 year old Saudi girl asking for divorce.

An 8 year old Saudi girl is asking a court to give her a divorce from a 50 year old man who paid her father to allow the two to get married. What do you want to bet that the Saudi religious court denies this poor trafficed girl a divorce on the grounds that Mohammad was a pedophile and so it is ok for modern Muslims to also be pedophiles?

Saudi child 'files for divorce'

A court in Saudi Arabia is reported to be preparing to hear a plea for divorce from an eight-year-old girl who has been married off to a man in his 50s.

The Saudi newspaper al-Watan said the girl had been married off to the man by her father without her knowledge.

The child's mother is thought to be pushing for the marriage to be annulled - though the father opposes the move.

In April, a court in neighbouring Yemen annulled the arranged marriage of another eight-year-old girl.

She had been married to a 28-year-old man.

Child-protection groups say children are often given away in return for hefty dowries, or as a result of old customs in which a father promises his infant daughters and sons to cousins out of a belief that marriage will protect them from illicit relationships.

Activists have called for an end to the practice.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Re: 8 year old Saudi girl asking for divorce.

From the story itself:

Activists have called for an end to the practice.
    I hope they succeed. The practice is sick (and that's perhaps an understatement).
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

It is an understatement. It's totally in their character though. Revolting. Disgusting. Pathetic.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

****ing religious nutters. Throw rocks at them.
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

She'll probably be killed for this.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The advocacy of marriage with children that young should render Saudi Arabia liable to international sanctions. But money talks...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              The advocacy of marriage with children that young should render Saudi Arabia liable to international sanctions. But money talks...
              You got it spot on.
              On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

I hope the marriage is annulled. Sadly, I don't think the practice will end.. This is something that lies deep within the culture, and I think it'll take ages before it changes.
                I fear one day I'll meet God, he'll sneeze and I won't know what to say.

Comment

Re: Re: 8 year old Saudi girl asking for divorce.

Originally posted by DanQ
                  From the story itself:

I hope they succeed. The practice is sick (and that's perhaps an understatement).
                  What a rebel, Dan, what a rebel!
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The court audience will ask themselves, "Does she have a kid sister?"

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
                      She'll probably be killed for this.
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I hope this is not the outcome.
                        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                          The court audience will ask themselves, "Does she have a kid sister?"
                          Damn you, I laughed at that, and now I feel bad. Burn in hell!
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

And I almost went to edit it right after posting. But now I know to always trust my first instinct. If I get into trouble, I'll point to you as my accomplice!

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                              ****ing religious nutters. Throw rocks at them.
                              No! In Saudi Arabia religious nutters throw racks at you!
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X