Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cold War is Back, can we Make Lemonade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know what I find interesting?
    There's a lot of old-ish American movies and comic books where the citizens of the Soviet Union are routinely dehumanized and massacred by American superheroes.
    I can't think of a single one doing the opposite. Granted, we did not have comic books or men who wore capes and tights in the Soviet Union, but we had a lot of books and movies for children. Spies and tycoons were probably the most dehumanized characters, but common citizens and common soldiers were always portrayed as very similar to us.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
      And destroying a democracy and bringing fascists to power is better how?
      Because they were OUR tin-plated dictators, not THEIR tin-plated dictators.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

It is a fundamental responsibility of the Poly political system, for people to criticize the site's policy. In fact, it is the only reason why our fan site works. If people didn't criticize the administation (and thus affect some change in policy), we would just be ... CivFanatics.
        FIXED!
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

Sorry, but this is simply not true.

You could not have produced atomic weapons on a scale sufficient to take over the world fast enough before the other powers got nukes.

Even if they didn't the UK and USSR would have responded by using Chemical weapons vs. the US, not a pretty sight.

Assuming you would have tried to take over the world militarily, you would never have had the manpower. Best navy in the world or not, Eurasia + Africa can only be conquered by land.

And even if you could do this in just a few years, before other nations got nukes, your empire would collapse in a few decades.
          Wrong!

We only need 3 or 4 nukes. Say... Russia...(insert and major country here) fails to do our bidding. We nuke Moscow. Now we have their undivided attention, and we would be acting like the Germans, Russians and Japanese in WWII, France during Napoleon, GB during colonialism and Spain with its rape of the new world. Regarding the manpower, the US was the last of the industialized nations with vast reserves untapped. Sure, what empire survives? My point is we never even thought of this course, we elected to help the world back on its feet. That's the USA.

USA! USA! USA!
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: Re: Re: The Cold War is Back, can we Make Lemonade?

Originally posted by Felch
            Look at how we've allowed Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bolivia and Ecuador to be leftist without crushing them and overthrowing the regimes. No power on Earth would stop us from doing what we want in our own backyard, but we are restrained by our own sense of enlightened self-interest.
            You really do live in a fantasy world.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

The only reason Allende didn't murder thousands of his own people is because Pinochet beat him to the punch.

Do you actually believe this?
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

You really do live in a fantasy world.
                So we rolled tanks over Havana and had over a million of our soldiers parked there for 40+ years?
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by ramseya
                  And at least when we do it, we have good intentions
                  Every power claims to have good intentions. It really doesn't mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

So we rolled tanks over Havana and had over a million of our soldiers parked there for 40+ years?
                    I just have one question. Do you know other people who think like this, or is it just you?

Comment

I just have one question. Do you know other people who think like this, or is it just you?
                      The reality of the Soviet occupation of Eastern Europe? I image there are several dozen million Eastern Europeans who REMEMBER this just fine.

So let me get this straight, you are (serioiusly) maintaining that the US was more draconian with Latin America than the Soviets were with Eastern Europe?

Hey, HEY, everybody! Come and watch this!
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

To say our policies in Latin America were better than the Soviet Unions' in Eastern Europe is damning with faint praise. It's true, but doesn't warrant much celebration, IMO.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

The reality of the Soviet occupation of Eastern Europe? I image there are several dozen million Eastern Europeans who REMEMBER this just fine.

So let me get this straight, you are (serioiusly) maintaining that the US was more draconian with Latin America than the Soviets were with Eastern Europe?

Hey, HEY, everybody! Come and watch this!
                          You really don't understand your own country at all, do you. Russian culture is very different from ours and the USSR was totalitarian. That allowed them to occupy foreign lands like that. That said, we impose control over foreign lands in our own way. Occupying foreign lands like we are in Iraq requires that we become totalitarian.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            To say our policies in Latin America were better than the Soviet Unions' in Eastern Europe is damning with faint praise. It's true, but doesn't warrant much celebration, IMO.

-Arrian
                            agreed. Better but not something to brag about.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You really don't understand your own country at all, do you. Russian culture is very different from ours and the USSR was totalitarian. That allowed them to occupy foreign lands like that. That said, we impose control over foreign lands in our own way. Occupying foreign lands like we are in Iraq requires that we become totalitarian.
                              So you are agreeing then that the Soviets were far, far, FAR more heavy handed with their vassals than the US?

Its okay Kid, you can say it.

Comment

But it's there nature so it's really ok and not as bad. DOH
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X