The dangers of the Paedophile Panic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dangers of the Paedophile Panic.

I was on a tube train last week, sitting next to a family with two small children, and the dad was taking a picture of his daughter.

"I don't know if you should do that" cautioned the mum "apparently some bloke got into trouble with the police recently for taking a photo of his child".

"Why?" asked the child. Repeatedly, for the next five minutes. "Is it because the government think we children are too ugly to have our photo taken?"

"When I grow up and have my own children I'm gonna take a photo of them in front of a policeman to see what he does" added the other child.

"Why is this wrong?" the kids kept asking while the mum awkwardly wondered what she could possibly say to explain this problem to an innocent child: of why an innocent family photo can now be viewed as a possible serious crime.

Obviously this is all down to the near-hysterical climate of fear of child-abuse, where children are being confused, and possibly frightened into thinking that any adult is a potential threat, while perfectly normal family activity is compromised, and many adults are probably too frightened to go anywhere too near children, perhaps leading to children feeling shunned and further problems.

I don't know the details of the alleged case of innocent family snaps being subject of police intervention, or even whether there is any truth in it. However, it is clear that a climate of fear exists, and the consequences of that are profoundly negative.

The Paedophilea hysteria has been around for almost a decade now, it unfortunately shows no signs of weakening.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Re: The dangers of the Paedophile Panic.

I was on a tube train last week, sitting next to a family with two small children, and the dad was taking a picture of his daughter.

"I don't know if you should do that" cautioned the mum "apparently some bloke got into trouble with the police recently for taking a photo of his child".
      She's an idiot.
      May God have mercy on her children.
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Why would 'God' be required to have 'mercy'?

On second thoughts - no, let's not go there.

Comment

there is quite a few of those where family snaps were "actioned" upon by concerned public - and that is wrong, and for that the major blame has general UK retarded legal/police attitude towards photography ... that covers pedophiles and terrorists the most - ie if pedophiles were only taking photos I would not mind that too much...

things like these freak the public out over the prolonged exposure like it has been the case here over last few years...

or this

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

and the parent harassed

but on the other hand the UK law/legal system has totally failed UK public so the fear of pedophiles is unfortunately founded, and more so than in other western societies in my opinion...

the ball is as usual in the "authorities" hands, and they should discourage preying on photographers, and instead fix the laws so that pedos do not get out quickly as they do ... even in the worst cases
          · Goldsmith refuses to allow appeal over 'lenient' term · Ministers hold urgent review of sentence cuts

The attorney general dealt the home secretary, John Reid, a humiliating rebuff yesterday when he refused to refer to the appeal court the five-year minimum term imposed on a paedophile who kidnapped and sexually assaulted a three-year-old girl
          The judge had decided that 18 years would have been the correct sentence if he were imposing a fixed term, rather than life. He deducted one-third for a guilty plea, giving a 12-year term. Then he deducted a further 50% because prisoners given fixed term sentences generally serve only half the term in prison. That brought it down to six years, and the further discount was for time Sweeney had spent in custody on remand.

and not to mention that for good behavior he will get out even sooner... but this is only half the point... the further problem is that they typcially reoffend, but are only smarter for the first experience... compounding this is that kids who go through such sexual trauma are more likely to become the same themselves later on and this going on for generations combined with pretty strong individuality of this culture - UK public space has become pretty unsafe thus getting the general ?overreactions? from the public.

I'd say that the public should be reacting, but they are directing the reaction in the wrong direction, instead of failed legal system they are directing it towards photographers... plain sad, but also a fact driven by the campaigns as the one above... all in all just another point IMHO where England is screwed for good (much more so than the rest of civilized world)...
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

here is one more "fun" snippet from this year

YORK, England (UPI) -- A British man who pleaded guilty to helping organize an Internet child abuse ring could be free within four years, a judge ruled Monday.

While Teesside Crown Court Judge Michael Taylor found that Philip Thompson, 27, was a public risk, he gave him an indeterminate prison sentence with a minimum of three years and nine months, The Times of London reported.

"You have shown that you are a very dangerous individual indeed. I consider that you pose a very significant risk to the public and you are a dangerous offender," Taylor told Thompson.
            The Times said under the current sentence, Thompson could become eligible for parole if he can prove he is no longer a threat to the general public.

if those guys are getting this much, you know that your "average" pedo is out in no time here... and proving "that he is no longer a threat"... check this out

it is the "Sun" but it is just an example of newspaper traced real case from this year

FREED sex beast Lee Porritt has admitted women will be “horrified” he is among them – and said: “They are potentially RIGHT to worry.”

The psychopathic rapist – released from a new Broadmoor unit housing some of Britain’s sickest fiends – openly confessed he is still a danger to girls.
            Dr Taylor’s report – made for the tribunal – said Porritt was deceitful and had shown no remorse, a reckless disregard for others, intense anger, sexual sadism and fantasy-fuelled urges.

She concluded: “These disorders are severe and long-standing and have damaged Mr Porritt’s capacity to form and maintain relationships, to cope with difficult emotions.

“More importantly, they have led to him presenting a grave risk to women. It is my recommendation this detention should continue in light of his disorder.”

Dr Taylor cited a letter written by Porritt in 2000 in which he said he could not control his urges.

He wrote: “The girls I fantasise about are 11 or 12 years old. I abduct them and carry them to a secluded spot, ie a wood, where I rape them.

“After this, I torture them and bury them in the wood and try to forget about it. I have actually been planning these things.”
            Last edited by OneFootInTheGrave; August 20, 2008, 18:15.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Is this a European phenomenon? I've never heard of someone being afraid to snap a photo of his/her own kids before. Maybe I'm just sheltered.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

not European just British, or perhaps even more specifically English...

Comment

I think it's common in Poland. I'd rather be taken for a serial, extremly cruel, killer than a paedophile. People usually express their happiness at that they will be tortured by other inmates at prison, which clearly shows the attitude. But it's a disease. It can lead to great harm for the children, but I believe the society is playing dumb and irresponsible. If You harm a paedophile after he molested a child, You can only "avenge" it, the harm is already done. Profilactic (?) would be better - It would be the best if people surmising they have such inclinations could get help restricting them, to avoid commiting crimes. But it will not happen, because, I think, there's no plan for that, and admitting any such inclinations would mean social death, even if such person never hurted anyone.
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

Thanks for the links, Footsie.

One point I would question though, is the assumptions that victims are likely to become perpetrators. It's bad enough for someone to have been abused as a child without them being accused without evidence of being a nonce themselves.

Comment

The thing about trrrism is indeed another problem. I like taking photos, or rather used to like taking photos, of architecture that interested me in London. Now I don't dare because I don't want a policeman all over me.

Even walking around looking at buildings under the lidless eyes of the omnipresent security cameras could be interpreted as 'suspicious' by a dumb cop / security hack who never understood why buildings might be interesting to look at by people other than mass-murderers.

I feel a genuine restriction of liberty, and a harsh climate of authoritarianism which is passively accepted by too many people who will swallow any crap about 'security' to grant the state arbitrary powers. It's made worse by politicians who, realising they lack any connection to ordinary people, or any inspirational leadership in economic or social progress, latch on to various fears as a way of enhancing their legitimacy and control.

Comment

Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                          The thing about trrrism is indeed another problem. I like taking photos, or rather used to like taking photos, of architecture that interested me in London. Now I don't dare because I don't want a policeman all over me.

Even walking around looking at buildings under the lidless eyes of the omnipresent security cameras could be interpreted as 'suspicious' by a dumb cop / security hack who never understood why buildings might be interesting to look at by people other than mass-murderers.

I feel a genuine restriction of liberty, and a harsh climate of authoritarianism which is passively accepted by too many people who will swallow any crap about 'security' to grant the state arbitrary powers. It's made worse by politicians who, realising they lack any connection to ordinary people, or any inspirational leadership in economic or social progress, latch on to various fears as a way of enhancing their legitimacy and control.

That's it. I'm reporting you; time to lock you up.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Paedophile is a big problem... the issue is that the current focus generally doesn't catch the prime offenders.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                              I think it's common in Poland. I'd rather be taken for a serial, extremly cruel, killer than a paedophile. People usually express their happiness at that they will be tortured by other inmates at prison, which clearly shows the attitude. But it's a disease. It can lead to great harm for the children, but I believe the society is playing dumb and irresponsible. If You harm a paedophile after he molested a child, You can only "avenge" it, the harm is already done. Profilactic (?) would be better - It would be the best if people surmising they have such inclinations could get help restricting them, to avoid commiting crimes. But it will not happen, because, I think, there's no plan for that, and admitting any such inclinations would mean social death, even if such person never hurted anyone.
                              Situation is very much the same here. The one thing all murderers, common rapists, thugs, etc. can agree upon is to give "pedos" some good torture - and most people probably agree with them.
                              In Germany, there was some project of the Charité-hospital in Berlin for prophylactic treatment of pedophiles, trying to bring people - those who already commited crimes, but more importantly those who feared that they could become offenders - to make an anonym therapy. Ask how long it took until some people demanded to catch them at the entry.

OTOH, our judicial system allows for sometimes ridiculously short sentences, plus further shortening by "good guidance", psychological attests, etc. In Austria, after some years there wouldn't be a trail on the criminal past, etc. This fuels popular anger, of course.
                              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Working...
                              X