This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Space colonization mod?

It would be a very very entertaining since the economic model of col is better suited for this kind of game than that of BtS.

Also the concept of the motherland is very much appropriate.

I think there was a mod called Song of the Moon which already did a lot of the needed graphics for a lunar colonization mod.

There would be some problems like the fact that there are no
    natives on Mars or the Moon. But perhaps this could be ameliorated by having more civs compete?

Would the colonization of an extrasolar planet which would have "natives" be a better project?
    Last edited by Heraclitus; August 20, 2008, 02:46.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Sure, why not. It would be a lot of work (ie Final Frontier), but given that was possible, I imagine this would be also.

SMACCOL...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hmm, to be honest I don't quite see why this would be a lot of work compared to the many extreme mods done for Civ4.

1. Most of the graphics (units, terrain) are already available
      2. Wikipedia provides enough info on space & its potential exploitation

Question: Do the homeland plots need to be on the edge of the map? If not, we can have a "spaceport" plot next to the starting spot of the civ on the Lunar/Martian surface.

Also, the problem of natives can be resolved with an appropriate back story. Perhaps robots that where supposed to colonize Mars/ the moon went "wild" and split into "hives" (=tribes) and now the goverments of Earth are sending expeditions to reestablish production of Helium 3 or whatever.

Or perhaps, the "natives" are more or less space pirates who lived off the land and occasional raiding the ships that brought material from the asteorid belt to Earth.

Speaking of that an asteroid belt Space Colonization mod seems ridiculously simple:

Think of a cool name

Ocean/Water= Space
      Land= Asteorids, Dwarf Planets, Planets

Rename everything, change graphics, write a map script voila a stable playable space game that can be easily upgraded into something unique.

Ok, setting the mod in 2075-2275:

Civs:
      Russia (=France works better with the illegal pirates/robots/corporations )
      America (=Holland, corporations are at the forefront of the endeavor )
      Europe (=England)
      China (=Spain, has no problems with "nationalizing" space pirate/robot/corporate holdings)

Or should we drop Russia since it isn't going to be a major power in 2075?
      Last edited by Heraclitus; August 20, 2008, 07:55.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

The biggest problem is no tech tree.

Will it be possible to add a real tech tree to col?

Comment

*yawn*

Given that final frontier was one of the most boring thing ever created I'm wondering why this would even be considered.
          «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

FF was fairly interesting, actually... just not YOUR cup of tea I'd guess.

Hera, it's a lot of work because anything using a fully distinct tileset, and presumably a significantly altered ruleset, is a LOT of work to implement, even if the entire tileset is importable (which it probably is not). If you think it's not a lot of work, go write this mod yourself...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: A Space colonization mod?

Originally posted by Heraclitus
              It would be a very very entertaining since the economic model of col is better suited for this kind of game than that of BtS.

Also the concept of the motherland is very much appropriate.

I think there was a mod called Song of the Moon which already did a lot of the needed graphics for a lunar colonization mod.
              I think you browsed the CFC COL forum the last few days.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

But on a more serious note:

If in this sort of mod Heinlein's concept of a Lunar society is followed, you already have a native kind of people. Also, a tech tree isn't really necessary (infact, its outright superfluous) if the timeline of the mod is kept in increments of months or so. The "Founding Fathers" can serve as a sort of social/industrial/scientific wizzkids improving the society with their gizmo's/ideas as they come along.

But as Snoopy already said, the main problem would be the graphics department. Song of the Moon had a fair number of graphics/audio, but there's no guarantee these will work in the COL game. IIRC, it was said in the latest PolyCast that graphics can't be ported as they are between the two games.
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Re: Re: A Space colonization mod?

Originally posted by GeoModder

Actually I never go to CFC. Is there a similar thread there? Link?

Comment

IIRC, it was said in the latest PolyCast that graphics can't be ported as they are between the two games.
                    C***, missed that. Yeah graphics will be a lot of work then.

Still do you think people would be interested?

Comment

Also, a tech tree isn't really necessary (infact, its outright superfluous) if the timeline of the mod is kept in increments of months or so.
                      This is not really realistic. It will need to spand decades if not centuries.

The good news may be that, from the little experience we have so far, it seems that the costs of space exploration & colonization can't be skipped or markedly reduced by advances in other fields. As far as technology goes space travel is practically stagnant. I mean look at Orion, its been 50 years since we went to the Moon and now we are going back with basically the same design.

Maybe the founding fathers could be mostly "inventors" and would basically be techs. By investing into exploring and colonising the Lunar surface you learn how to do stuff.

Other advances don't need to be modeled. I mean is it actually relevant to the colonization effort that computers get faster every year? Especially since software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster.

Also events could be used to simulate advances made on Earth that have spread to the Moon.

Comment

This reminds me, is there a online rundown of all the resources in colonization and the products that can be exported?

I think a backstory could be crafted so that the resources exported from the Moon will be basically analogous to the resources of Colonization.

Comment

Colonization of the Moon

The real problem is how to deal with the sea. Is it possible to put the "sail towards homeland tiles" anywhere on the map?

Comment

Originally posted by Niptium
                            *yawn*

Given that final frontier was one of the most boring thing ever created I'm wondering why this would even be considered.
                            Ehhh this is not a FF like mod, this is a SMAC-like mod.

In any case FF was one of the more interesting ones actually. It was only held back by the poor AI, it is also a base for many mod projects.

Comment

Re: Re: A Space colonization mod?

Damn you beat my by a day!

Interested in starting a mod team?

Comment

Working...
                              X