Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with the SMAC love. Sweet Jesus just buy yourself some Master of Orion game - I don't know. Let it rest SMAC is never gonna see a remake for franchise issues... The best they could do is provide a follow up under a different name... The SMAC luv is choking me to death now... I'll start hating this game I once bought.
    «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Get used to it... there are a LOT of SMAC fans out there
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah and they all need to be SMACed upside the head to put some sense back into them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
          Yeah and they all need to be SMACed upside the head to put some sense back into them.
          «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Originally posted by Dale

You don't know what its like to be a SMAniaC. Its wonderfull, the chairman speaks to you in your dreams... you learn to overcome the crasp demands of flesh and bone, and accept the self of group.

All hail the Chariman! SMAC is the greatest game ever! It will return on the end of days as SMAC 2 and will make all other games obsolete. SMAC Ahbar! Jihad on the infidels!

:calms down and smiles blissfully while thinking of Planet as he is dragged away in a straitjacket:

Also sometimes Dierdre speaks to you in your dreams.

Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Niptium
              What's up with the SMAC love. Sweet Jesus just buy yourself some Master of Orion game - I don't know.
              Master of Orion =/= SMAC

SMAC is a game where you colonize one planet
              MMO is a series

Let it rest SMAC is never gonna see a remake for franchise issues... The best they could do is provide a follow up under a different name... The SMAC luv is choking me to death now... I'll start hating this game I once bought.
              I pronounce a fatwah on you! All orthodox SMAC fanes are obliged by their religion to slap you silly if they meet you!

You can only save yourself by submiting to Ismac religon!

PS Smac isn't my main motivation for making this mod. I'm talking about lunar colonization here.

me to me: "Blasphemy!"

me to me: "No its not what it seems like! I belive in one SMAC and Brian Reynolds is its prophet... honestly! "

me to me: "You are an apostate! Death to the apostate! SMAC akhbar! "

me to me: "Noooo! AHhh, it hurts! "

me to me:
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

I pronounce a fatwah on you! All orthodox SMAC fanes are obliged by their religion to slap you silly if they meet you!

You'll have to forgive the Col fans - their still sore about the results of this Firaxis poll .

Anyways, back in February when Dale first posited the idea of a Col2 I voiced my thoughts on making a FF version of the game, as follows:

I think it'd be pretty neat if someone did a spaced base version of Colonization. The game would begin by you selecting the type of solar system you wish to colonize (i.e. game setup menu options):
                1) Solar system size: the larger the solar system, the more resources that would be available to you (but at the same time this would mean more territory to defend)
                2) Number of wormholes providing access to your solar system: more wormholes means more trade, but also more access for pirates and marauding aliens to pillage your improvements.

Once the game set-up is complete the game begins by dumping your colonization ships out of a wormhole into your newly franchised solar system, and you begin the process of exploring your new solar system:
                1) Colonize habitable planets.
                2) Establish mining facilities throughout the solar system to gain access to resources which you can then trade with your motherland (at an exorbitant trade rate which favors the motherland).
                3) Explore ancient ruins for relics which can then be sold on the open market (which the motherland can then tax) or sell on the black market for greater profit (if you can get the relics by the motherland inspectors).
                4) Sooner or later you would need to declare independence and fight off the motherland’s armada and shock troops.

D

Comment

Re: Re: Re: A Space colonization mod?

Damn you beat my by a day!

Btw, in what format are those YouTube videos? Any chance they can be reformatted in Bik/Bink?
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan

You'll have to forgive the Col fans - their still sore about the results of this Firaxis poll .

Anyways, back in February when Dale first posited the idea of a Col2 I voiced my thoughts on making a FF version of the game, as follows:

D
                    I actually like your idea. It would be fun to try and do.

So is anyone interested on working together with me on any of the mod ideas in this thread?

Comment

So is anyone interested on working together with me on any of the mod ideas in this thread?
                      Depends...
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Question: Do the homeland plots need to be on the edge of the map? If not, we can have a "spaceport" plot next to the starting spot of the civ on the Lunar/Martian surface.
                        My recommendation would be to get into the very accessible DLL and modify ships to be able to depart for earth from any point on the map (this should be as simple as removing a boolean check on the plot). Then the ship will just 'blast off' from ware it is and in X turns show up in the earth screen ware you load. Also you remove the need to put down the 'sail zone' flags on map generation, simplifying your scripts considerably. When you go back you will appear ware you left off (because the game is really not moving anything just hiding the ship from view and flagging it to denote the fact its sailing to/from or in Europe).

If you want to get really fancy you could implement some kind of 'disposable' ship which deletes itself (or turns into X units of 'metal' resource) upon arriving in the world to represent expendable rockets. The cargo will just sit on the map until its picked up by a Wagon Train equivalent.

Also I'd reverse China and Europe in your proposed country equivalents as Colonization England = lots of immigrants = China with huge population and Colonization Spain = attack the natives = England has a long history of fighting pirates (and being pirates too but were going to gloss over that).
                        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]

My recommendation would be to get into the very accessible DLL and modify ships to be able to depart for earth from any point on the map (this should be as simple as removing a boolean check on the plot). Then the ship will just 'blast off' from ware it is and in X turns show up in the earth screen ware you load. Also you remove the need to put down the 'sail zone' flags on map generation, simplifying your scripts considerably. When you go back you will appear ware you left off (because the game is really not moving anything just hiding the ship from view and flagging it to denote the fact its sailing to/from or in Europe).
                          You can do that? Cool! I think that is probably the best way to go. I was thinking of making ships reusable for simplicity and since by 2075 we'll probably get space plane technology right.

Question: Is it possible for to mod the game so that land units can be transports and can leave for Europe?

Since there really is no equivalent to the sea on the Moon/Mars.

BTW Would a Terraformed Mars be a better scenario for colonization? If so the date would have to be pushed several centuries forward.

Also I'd reverse China and Europe in your proposed country equivalents as Colonization England = lots of immigrants = China with huge population and Colonization Spain = attack the natives = England has a long history of fighting pirates (and being pirates too but were going to gloss over that).
                          Hm maybe you are right. In the game England's bonus comes from needing less crosses. China has a large population and its population has lower expectations when it comes to Freedom.

But Europe as Spain? I'm not quite sure Europe will ever become the agressive bunch it once was. Maybe put America as Spain (fighting the terrorists) and change Europe to Holland?

Comment

Good to know such a thing is possible.
                            (I was under the impression a 'homeland zone' had to be designated whatever you mod)
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

This is why Civ is so moddable (and thus Col)... because you can go in and change anything
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Question: Is it possible for to mod the game so that land units can be transports and can leave for Europe?
                                I'm not sure how the ability to sail to Europe is coded, it might be a property of Domain 'Water' or it might be that placing 'High Seas Zone' on land will give any unit the ability, it wasn't my part to code all that. But I'm sure its moddable, EVERYTHING is moddable, the whole game is a enormous mod in the sense that we started with Civ4 and modified it bit by bit into what it is now (in this sense every iteration of Civ is a mod of the last version because thats how their developed), with enough time you could mod it into a FPS

Agree with your Europe as Holland, America as Spain especially considering the present state of the US and EU economies.

I think you should plan for a variety of vehicles and have all or most of them unique to each Power, so Russia has Soyuz capsules (small capacity but very cheap), US has Shuttle (or Orion if the timer periods further out) which is expensive but Big. Would add a lot of variety to the play styles of the major powers.

Lastly if your wanting to have technology I'd recommend an Imperialism model in which tech is not researched (after all you control the colony and would be tasked with getting resources ware as research would be done on Earth). Instead technology becomes available at a particular year +/- a random range. You code in the target year into the UnitInfo or BuildingInfo file along with the spread and at load the game rolls the +/- component and records the hidden true year of availability. From then on its a simple check to compare the current year with that value to see if its valid to build or not. This has the advantage of creating 'Tech' without any new file or data structures or any decisions needed by the player. For UI you just need a simple Python script which will loop all the unit types and if the current turn equals their reveal turn throws up a simple "Such and Such is available to Build" screen.

BTW Would a Terra formed Mars be a better scenario for colonization? If so the date would have to be pushed several centuries forward.
                                Its doable but I like the "Asteroids floating in Space" idea more, Mars colonization is typically depicted as being more self sufficient and we lose any sense of the navel side of things. Ideally both would be available as different map scripts to provide very different playing fields. Normal Colonization gets a very different feel in Archipelagos vs Continental maps.
                                Last edited by Impaler[WrG]; August 23, 2008, 02:26.
                                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X