Oblivion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivion

I loved Oblivion and have tried a number of other RPGs in the hope that I would enjoy them as much with no luck. Can anyone recommend one that is worth trying?

Have you tried Assassin's Creed? Also, the Thief series (of which the newest is the worst, but still quite good) is excellent. Finally, the Vampire:The Masquerade series is interesting for people who like open ended games.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Morrowind, if you haven't played it yet. Overall, its better than Oblivion, IMHO. Deus Ex is great if you haven't played it yet. Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is also pretty good.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Knights of the Old Republic.
        Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys. Have had a look into those and they all look like good games.

Assassin's Creed and Thief might be too linear for my liking? Though I think the combat in AC looks great.

Vampire may be the one I get, it looks like the world's quite small though?

Deus Ex has had fantasic reviews but has it stood up to the test of time?

KotOR looks almost perfect but don't know if I'd like the turn-based combat system. Kind of prefer the fantasy setting to the futuristic too (swords > lasers).

I already own Morrowind!

I guess I'm just tough to please. I probably won't get one that I really enjoy until the sequel to Oblivion's out but I'll certainly have a go at some of those.

Comment

KoToR is also very linear, you can explore the world around you to some extent but you must follow the plot entirely linearly (there are very few side quests that are not an element of the plot).

Vampire I didn't play much, but my GF, who loves open ended RPGs like Oblivion/Morrowind, loved it (more than TES).

Thief is linear, in that it is mission oriented (technically it's an FPS, I guess?), but it is highly flexible inside that - you can complete the mission usually in different ways, and you do have some choices that affect the plot. It's a non-RPG that appeals strongly to RPG fans.

Deus Ex - it depends on your graphics preferences. I personally can play it somewhat, but am definitely affected by the poor graphics quality; some folks (LOTM, for example) are fine with it because they don't care about graphics. The gameplay is amazing, regardless.

KOTOR in terms of setting - if you prefer fantasy, then get Jade Empire, which is KOTOR set in China without the star wars stuff. (Strictly speaking, KOTOR is a fantasy setting that happens to have spaceships, but whatever.)

Comment

The Witcher is another good choice, especially now given that next month, the devs are releasing a pretty big (and free update). It's also moddable, much like TES games and there are a few fan-created ones floating around already.

The offical website of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Your number one source for news, latest videos and screenshots from the upcoming RPG developed by CD PROJEKT RED!

Comment

Depending on where you live, you may want to wait a bit on that one. I played The Witcher, and I liked it a lot. The "Enhanced" edition comes out next month, and is supposed to be available both as a boxed version and as a downloadable patch. I'd imagine the patch is going to be quite large, so if your bandwidth can't handle it, wait for the box.
                Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Half of the games mentioned so far are not RPGs per se. The winner is of course Knights of the Old Republic which I defy any sane person, fan of the genre or not, to dislike.

Do not play Morrowind or Oblivion - they are for a special group of people for whom openendedness is more important than having an actual game to play.

Comment

"

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      Half of the games mentioned so far are not RPGs per se. The winner is of course Knights of the Old Republic which I defy any sane person, fan of the genre or not, to dislike.

Do not play Morrowind or Oblivion - they are for a special group of people for whom openendedness is more important than having an actual game to play.
                      You read the OP, right?

Comment

Yes, but I don't feel that he is beyond help.

Comment

I'm playing Deus Ex right now and I'm having fun. Great game.

The Witcher sucked...
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                            Amazing what a terrific story can do. Makes you wonder how amazing KOTOR 2 would have been if they hadn't been rushed at the end.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

KOTOR and Mass Effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X