Tectonics script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tectonics script

How do people feel about the tectonics script? I've only tried it a few times (70% water) and I seem to get a lot of pretty small landmasses. Like the internal consistency of the landmasses however. Other people have any thoughts? I'm sick of the "continents" two big blobs of land script.
    The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

I like tectonics, but I play 60% water b/c otherwise land runs out too fast. I've had games on 70% where my capital was surrounded by other capitals.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
      I like tectonics, but I play 60% water b/c otherwise land runs out too fast. I've had games on 70% where my capital was surrounded by other capitals.
      Me 2, on all counts. Also, you can choose other elements (e.g., "rocky") for further variation. Big and small is also a good script at 60% (low seas).
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

B&S is definitely a solid script to play... any sea level, really. It has a lot of variations, also, especially in regards to the island sizes...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Tectonics

It is a nice script that has good variety.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I usually play fractal but for a change I'll give tectonics and big and small a go.

Comment

I usually play fractal as well. But, as noted above, these other two provide some nice, genuine variety.
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Never played Fractal. What does that do?

Before tectonics I would play B&S almost exclusively. Switched back to continents for awhile b/c Sid's became overpowering on B&S.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I like the mountain chains in tectonics Suddenly a part of the land is blocked of or only available through a bottleneck. Last I tried, was 70% water. I started alone on a fairly large island and it looks like the other civs are on to continents far away.

Comment

Fractal's pretty unpredictable, everyone could be on one large continent or scattered over 4 smaller ones, you don't know until you've explored.

Comment

I was about to start a tread on tectonics too.

I have found playing tectonic really interesting - revitalising my CIV.
                      - the mountain chains mean you really do have natural boundaries which separate off nations - like the Himalayas, which increases the interest and strategic options.
                      - the grouping together of terrain is more realistic (you do get the 'russian stepe') but also has forced me to rethink my improvements, because you need to use the improvements to ensure your city gets the balance of food/resources etc. it needs
                      - the resources also are more interestingly distributed it seems. Maybe this is a feature, maybe its just the effect of the grouping together of terrain types, but i have found myself with fewer different happiness or health resources in my lands, which has require more clever play, and has meant international trade is omre important.

The other thing I have found is that both times I have played tectonics at Emperor I was on the a continent with one other civ, and not on one of the main continents. This made it very difficult - which is fun too.

Comment

Long snaky continents that may or may not be connected. As noted above, this can give you isolated continents or everybody strung together. Lots of coast, which especially works in favor of many of the leaders in the later two sets.

Comment

Tried Earth 2. It's okay but everyone starts in the old world. No setting to prevent that as far as I can see. Still like fractal, but tectonics is a great change up.

Comment

Archipelago, snakey continents with low water level is brilliantly unpredictable for land shape and continent size.
                            www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Working...
                            X