Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Road to War - Ultimate Edition!

The Road to War: Ultimate Edition!

With a recorded 200,000+ downloads (to 1st August 2008 from all sources) the Road to War has become the second most popular mod for Civilization IV!

A HUGE thankyou to all the fans of RtW for helping to form the best World War II mod available for Civ4!

Join the war and rewrite history today!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Notes:

The current version is RtW-UE v1.1 and is dated 6 August 2008.

The current version is for Beyond the Sword 3.17.

Please ensure you use the latest version and BtS patch for compatibility and support.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER:

THIS FILE IS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH FIRAXIS GAMES OR 2K GAMES IN ANY WAY. USE OF THIS FILE IS AT THE USER'S DISCRETION AND FIRAXIS GAMES, 2K GAMES AND THE MAKERS OF THIS MOD ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES.

BY DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING THIS FILE THE USER ACCEPTS THESE TERMS AND ACCEPTS THAT USE OF THE FILE IS AT THEIR DISCRETION.

Installation:

Please follow these instructions to obtain and install RtW-UE:

1. Download RtW-UE http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=10229
    2. Delete the existing RtW Mod folder ..\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War
    3. Unzip the downloaded file to the same Mods folder as step 2 ..\Beyond the Sword\Mods\.
    4. Start BtS, the RtW and play!

Summary of changes from Add-on Pack 2 to RtW-UE:

1. Updated to BtS Patch 3.17.
    2. Added Solver's unofficial patch.
    3. Added Global Assault scenarios.
    4. Fixed save game bug.
    5. BattleEffects only accumulate to 10 turns (but further battles in later turns will also increase BE to a max of 10).
    6. UnitInfos completely redone (thanks Chamboozer et all).
    7. Culture effectively elliminated.
    8. All factories require Goods Factory.
    9. Goods Factory not buildable in real event modes.
    10. BitterWinter controllable via GlobalDefinesAlt.xml (default is 1 == on). Change to 0 (zero) to turn BitterWinter off.
    11. DCM components updated to DCM v1.6.
    12. Can Port Airbomb ships in forts.
    13. Minor bug fixes and tuning.

Other:

Please post any comments, suggestions, bugs or anything else to do with RtW in this thread.

I hope you enjoy The Road to War - Ultimate Edition! RtW-UE marks the conclusion of a two-year development cycle.

It also marks the conclusion of my three and a half year involvement in the development of Civilization IV Vanilla, Warlords & Beyond the Sword. RtW-UE is the Mod I imagined when creating Desert War for Civ4: Vanilla. But due to development limitations (ie: not having a fully stable game in Dev terms for a long time) the Mod had to go on hold till Beyond the Sword and Desert War was developed instead by myself, Locutus & Isak.

I wish to thank the team at Firaxis, especially Jesse, Soren, Alex, Jon and the others. I also wish to thank Tony & Dave for helping with the initial retail version of RtW. I wish to thank all of RtW's fans, for all of their suggestions, debates (sometimes heated) and discussion. I thank you all, and whilst I respect your passion to make RtW better, the Mod had to still remain within my initial design goals: Bringing World War II to the average player! I believe RtW-UE fully accomplishes this goal, whilst leaving a very stable base for Mod-Mods to start from. To all of those who suggested ideas that I did not implement, I apologise for that, but remember that the Mod had to remain simple enough for the average player, yet complex enough to encompass the complexities of World War II.

Finally I wish to thank my wife. You shouldn't have let me continue after I snapped the Dev CD in March '05.

Dale

PS: This will be my final work for Civ4. I invite all of you to try my new Mod: Age of Discovery II for Civ4 Colonization (in development) when it gets released.
    Last edited by Dale; August 6, 2008, 00:25.

RtW-UE updated to v1.1 to fix an AI problem.

Thanks

Comment

EEk! Dale we will miss you. Good luck.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I am way into my first game, playing as Eva Braun of Grossdeutchland on noble level (if you wan't to conquer the entire world, you must be an evil personality).

Some comments:
        * The Noble level is too easy, it's early 1944 and I have already completed the entire tech tree. I own Europe from Ireland to beyond Ural, several towns in Africa and India and a bridgehead in North America. Total air and navy superiority wherever I go. And I have yet to see an enemy tank, the AI sticks to building cavallery and tank destroyers.

* Nukes are to cheap to build and carries to little environmental and political penalty.

Anyway, it's a great mod and I will play some more rounds of it when I've finished the current. But then on a higher level or as a weaker nation. Perhaps playing Finland and trying to roll all the way to Kamtjaka?

(I may edit more comments into this post after further playing.)
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
          RtW-UE updated to v1.1 to fix an AI problem.

Thanks
          Any chance this is related to making use of transports, to, say, have Norway recapture Copenhagen from their SOD city of Oslo?

Also: Does the mod do away with the aircraft stack caps from the base game?

Comment

Road to War is a ton of fun! I've been playing the Pacific Theater scenario which starts in 1936, after Japan had invaded Manchuria and pacified it, but before Japan or China went to war. I've played as China, Mao's rebellion, Japan, and the US.

It is, for example, very hard to keep Mao alive for more than a few turns. The US can play rather close to historical events, and has to use an extremely cautious, mainly defensive, game in order to win. It helps not to have any ships at Pearl, though.

One great thing about this historical mod, is that all the countries have to spend a long time being defensive, in order to win later. This seems unusual for Civ 4 scenarios.

The best great thing is that you can try extreme variations on history and see what eventuates. My most fun games have been playing Yamamoto or Hirohito, and testing theories. To start with, I didn't attack China or anybody else. I waited till Russia or China attacked Japan, then defended while developing Manchuria as an industrial powerhouse. By mid-game, the Japanese homeland almost doesn't matter. That's where I hold the Japanese nukes(!) though.

From the point of view of Japan, with slow defensive strategies, having a big surface fleet doesn't really get you anything. It's better to build almost all submarines. They're much cheaper and can take down a battleship most of the time. You can leave them sitting on the sea floor all over the Pacific, undetectable except by destroyers.

In this iteration of this strategy, I'm taking over the whole Pacific world. I was able previously to lick Russia, China, and the US, more or less one at a time.

This is a blast!

I know I'm talking over a dead phone line, kinda, but I think the early submarines are a little too powerful versus surface ships. I don't recall that the scenario starts with diesel subs. It seemed to me that we started building nuclear subs very early. Dale, if you are still listening, what do ya think?

Comment

Are you using the Ultimate Edition 1.1 as posted at the top of this thread? Unit building and tech research should be slower than the retail version.

Also, by 1940 surface naval combat had undergone a massive transition. Battleships were not the dominant unit type on the waters, cruisers were and by the end of the war so to would carriers and subs. Sub strength is representative as if you remember the Germans used U-boats to extreme effectiveness to severely hamper UK and US trade in the Atlantic.

Also too, the techs are setup so that any modern unit type could be gotten early, but to the detriment of other unit types. EG: You might have nuclear subs, but crappy aircraft and tanks.

Comment

No, I'm using the beta version still, which I imagine is nearly the same as the UE.

It does appear that Japan's aircraft are definitely inferior to the US's.

Great scenario! Much more realistic than other Civ 4 scenarios I believe.

I will try out the European scenarios now.

Comment

Will this patch fix the no oil for the United Kingdom? I play the UK and couldn't make anything from the cities on the Island.

Thanks!

Comment

Yep, fixes that one.

Comment

Documentation

Is there any extra documentation somewhere about some of the RtW specific stuff like propaganda? What's in the civilopedia isn't very clear.

Comment

I really haven't found anything specific to RTW.

Comment

Too bad about the documentation. I'm still not very clear on the whole propaganda thing.

I just finished my first game of the full world war scenario and it was great. I was playing the USA and got beaten by the ITALIANS of all civs. They crushed the Brits in the med and then took out most of western Russia. I had just finished off the Japanese and moved my units from there to what was left of Russia to help out and in a massive air battle lost 39 of my 40 well trained P51s (the German airforce actually did most of the damage).

Anyway, there was an odd period where research basically shut down. It happened just after the US joined the war. Even with the help of all the allies it was taking 40 turns to research new tech. Then in 1945 when Russia joined in I got like 10 techs in a row. Kinda weird.

Oh, and another weird thing was the Falklands. Obviously planning for the eventual Falklands War against Argentina the UK kept 10+ infantry and a bunch of cavalry there the whole war. ???

I think that fighters are too effective at ground attack. I had to restrain myself from just using them to eliminate all enemy units thus avoiding ground combat.

Comment

Originally posted by BillSeurer
                            Oh, and another weird thing was the Falklands. Obviously planning for the eventual Falklands War against Argentina the UK kept 10+ infantry and a bunch of cavalry there the whole war. ???.
                            In the normal game, the AI often can leave some units on an island after an assault, trying to settle (but an other civ build city before it) or something similar. Those units will stay there. I've never seen the AI send a ship to collect those units.

Comment

Range of aircraft

Does anyone else think the range of aircraft is waaayyyyy too high in the Ultimate Edition? Zeroes (for instance) can bomb most of the US mainland from Hawaii and reach well into the Mediterranean from India.

Comment

Working...
                              X