No announcement yet.

Did you play the original Colonization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you play the original Colonization?

I played the original Colonization back in the day, but stopped doing so years ago. I picked it up again shortly after this remake was announced (albeit now the Windows version for easy multi-tasking) and I have to say I'm having a blast with it, it really holds up well

And that's something that in my experience you can't nearly always say of these old games (I tried the old Pirates and Railroads when their remakes were announced but just couldn't get into them anymore).

So what about you guys?
    No, never played it originally
    13.33%
    No, never played it originally but I will (or already have) try it while waiting for Civ4: Col
    0.00%
    Yes, I used to play it but don't anymore
    33.33%
    Yes, I used to play it and have/will pick it up again while waiting for Civ4: Col
    26.67%
    Yes, I'm still playing it today, even before I heard about Civ4: Col
    26.67%
    I only ever played the special Banana edition -- oh, how overpowered those banana plantations were...
    0.00%
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Oh, I rather play the old Pirates on my C64-emu these days than Col. When it comes to RRT, i tend to go with ´III´ these days - it just lacks good scenarios so badly and i cant even find any good ones on the net...

Comment

"Yes, I'm still playing it today, even before I heard about Civ4: Col"

Love it more than Civ.

Comment

Never played the original: I was up to my kneck in diapers and midnight feedings during that timeframe (2 kids in 15 months). Last game I played was Star Legions in '93, and then I picked up gaming again with Deadlock in '96.

D

Comment

Only a couple of times - a mate had it.

Looking forward to the new version.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I have been playing it on and off for 14 years now.
            «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

I still play it...or rather I play FreeCol which is near enough the same.

Love the game, though it has a distinctly "old" feeling to it. Í am very much looking forward to the new version

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I played it throughout the 90s and loved it. After several moves I can't find my copy anymore, though.

Comment

I played it from the CD version, although possibly not when it first came out, because I think that would have made me seven at the time!

I still play and actually found out about the new version by complete accident, hence I found this place, trying to find information about it!
                  Those who should have power do not want it, and those who seek power should not have it - Plato

Comment

I played it in the 90's. No longer have floppy drive and haven't seen the discs in years.

Now playing FreeCol and it is about how I remember the game... Probably wouldn't have played it again if the new version wasn't coming out.

Good concept - I just hope there is breadth to the game like in Civ4 series, that keeps you hooked for a year or two... there is only so many ways to master the conquest of a new nation with 4 leaders.... or so, it would seem.

Very much looking forward to it and from what I have seen, it will be great.
                    Live your life - as an Adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Kathandrion
                      I played it from the CD version, although possibly not when it first came out, because I think that would have made me seven at the time!

I still play and actually found out about the new version by complete accident, hence I found this place, trying to find information about it!
                      Welcome to Poly.

Comment

I voted Yes, but don't anymore.

I have a previous version of FreeCol, but didn't play much. I may update and play more, but that would cut into my SMAC time.
                        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                          Only a couple of times - a mate had it.
                          Same here.
                          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

BTW, did any of you guys use a hex-editor to play multiplayer-games ? Those lastet forever, since the ´unofficial´ players would get no reports (like ´building finished in colony X´, ´Ship arrives in Europe´ and so on), thus they were forced to check every couple of turns. Or maybe i didnt edit right... Anyways, just to be able to MP when it was not in the game really kicked ass...

Comment

No ... I was in my SP (translate to: I didn't know anyone else to play with) phase during Col
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X