No announcement yet.

Did you play the original Colonization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about it, i have a hard time trying to understand, why MP wasnt in the game officially back then... Anyone any ideas ?

Comment

A lot of games back then didn't really have MP. Remember. Civ only got MP with the MP Gold edition.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Well, but in Col, in order to play MP (hotseat of course), all you have to do is change a byte for each player in a save game.

Comment

Play regularly (SP).
          This is the first game I get working when I get a new computer......
          An old friend is often better than a new pretty face.

Comment

But an old friend with a pretty face (and better AI, better modding facilities, and an overhaul) is better than an old friend with an ugly face.

And welcome to Poly.

Comment

Of course I played the original...and I will play the sequel...
              Still having the original box stored (bought 1994) just 1,5 meter away from my computer...
              Played it last year from beginning to the end.
              And after CIV4:Colonization was announced, I played it again.
              And then I remembered, that I have a CD with different tools on it...maybe someone is interested in "Colcheat.exe".
              It's possible to change every colonist to your prefered profession...Funny to build a colony with only experienced people. (just for testing...)

http://apolyton.net/upload/thumb/400/79605_Colcheat.rar

Comment

Awesome find! Might have to have a play around with this one.

Comment

Sounds pretty neat Livingston.
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I am playing Colonization right now. The discussions here have put me in the mood to start this game, but I have played two or three games each year since my last heavy Colonization phase in 2001 (I think).

Playing Colonization always reminds me of how much micromanagement I can take as long as it is relevant for the goal. The prospect of having to fight the redcoats (or whitecoats?) in the endgame keeps me motivated to get my colony in top shape.

It is also impressive how much the designers succeeded in encouraging colony specialization. The last-minute decision to scrap the radius expansion is an important factor, but the entire economic system leads you there. It is unfortunate that trade automation - which is quite decent by design - is ruined by bugs. (In my DOS version, editing trade routes almost always causes a crash.)

I really look forward to Colonization II ... after the recent reports I consider it safe to use that term in spite of what the marketing gurus might think. However, if my hardware - which is well above minimum, but below recommended requirements for Civ4 - prevents me from playing Col2 after release, it's good to know that after all these years I can still enjoy the original.

Comment

I played the Dos original, and over the last year have played a bit of freecol.

I'd love to play a version where the automated trade routes work.

Comment

Yep, I sure did, I think I fired a game up about 2 or 3 months ago.
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

PC Gamer CD version July 08 has the full game for download. I still have the original CD version on my shelf behind me.

Comment

CD? Pleb.

I still got the disks here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                              CD? Pleb.

I still got the disks here.
                              The date on the CD is 1994. I had the 3.5 disk and in 92 I brought a 486 with a CD drive, so when the CD version came out I got it. I'm not sure where my 3.5 disk are now.

Comment

Nope, never played it. I tried, but after ~15 turns then game always crashed on my Amiga

I tried playing it again a few years ago, but realized it's very difficult to get into an old game that you've never played before
                                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X