Speaking ill of the dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking ill of the dead.

I've noticed that right wing bloggers are all up in arms after Tony Snow died because some people took that occasion to point out Tony Snow's involvement in the invasion of Iraq and the routine distorting he did on any number of issues. Some of the comments progressives have made were definitely mean spirited and inappropriate but others were good critiques of the man's actions. Personally, I haven't gotten involved in this at all but it does raise a question.

Is it bad to speak ill of the dead and how much time must pass before people can actually start examining a person's life including their misdeeds? Here at Apolyton we frown on people dancing in death announcement threads but what do you personally think? Is there anyone who you think would make the world a better place simply by him/her no longer being in it?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Speaking ill of the dead

It's no good. They're not even listening.

Comment

A simple rule of thumb for me.
      If I'd say it when the person was alive, why should it matter if they're dead now.
      Otherwise at least a month after they've been put in the ground.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have no problem with speaking ill of the dead. I do have a problem, however, with making judgments about people - alive or dead.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Once the official mourning is over.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

What good does it do to beat a dead horse in hindsight.
            Doing either is a lack of balls. Doing both is totally ball-less.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Can I Godwin now?
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                Can I Godwin now?
                It's bad taste to speak evil of dead persons.

Dammit, you stole it from me
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Comment

Re: Speaking ill of the dead.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    I've noticed that right wing bloggers are all up in arms after Tony Snow died because some people took that occasion to point out Tony Snow's involvement in the invasion of Iraq and the routine distorting he did on any number of issues. Some of the comments progressives have made were definitely mean spirited and inappropriate but others were good critiques of the man's actions. Personally, I haven't gotten involved in this at all but it does raise a question.

Is it bad to speak ill of the dead and how much time must pass before people can actually start examining a person's life including their misdeeds? Here at Apolyton we frown on people dancing in death announcement threads but what do you personally think? Is there anyone who you think would make the world a better place simply by him/her no longer being in it?
                    Why not? I was speaking ill of Jesse Helms when they buried his racist ass.

It's just something people are trying to hide behind.
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                      Speaking ill of the dead

It's no good. They're not even listening.
                      The same could be said of the Bush admin while they're still alive
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

I've noticed that right wing bloggers are all up in arms

And, of course, how many of them where all dancing around when Saddam was killed?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think people can at least wait until he is in the ground. Hippies have never ben known for their manners or taste
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                            Can I Godwin now?
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Did they say anything worse than what was said when Kennedy was diagnosis with a brain tumor?
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X