Workers won't stop making forts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workers won't stop making forts!

I know I shouldn't put them on Automate, but towards the end-game I have no choice but to, otherwise it isn't fun managing everything. They simply won't stop making forts over important resources, I don't understand why. Is there a way to make them not do it?

That's the standard BtS behaviour of automated workers whenever they come across a resource that isn't within a city radius. There's nothing you can do to stop them other than not to automate.

Comment

The resources are in the cultural borders, if that's what you mean.

Comment

They're inside the borders, but outside the city radius, i.e. the "fat cross" of tiles the city can work. Starting with BtS, a fort built on a resource delivers the resource just like the appropriate improvement does. For instance, a fort on iron gives you iron, just like a mine would.

For a tile outside the radius of any city, building a mine/pasture/farm/plantation delivers no benefit other than giving access to the resource, but building a fort delivers several benefits other than access, like the ability to station planes and enter with ships if coastal, plus the defense bonus if you have a unit guarding the resource. Inside the city radius, obviously, it's almost always more beneficial to build the non-fort improvement since you also get the tile benefits by working it, but outside the only potential benefit over the fort is fewer worker turns spent building it.
        Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Make groups of 2-3 workers and work them manually. Solves the problems of automation, and shortens the time spent moving them dramatically.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Re: Workers won't stop making forts!

Originally posted by sportsfreaklgg
            I know I shouldn't put them on Automate, but towards the end-game I have no choice but to, otherwise it isn't fun managing everything.
            So maybe you SHOULDN'T manage everything; just let it go (and I do NOT mean automate)!
            Either store your workers in particular cities (airports perhaps), or put them in stacks outside your cities (so you can see where they are) in various locations.

If you are expanding/conquering more cities then you only have to micromanage the workers for those areas. Leave the workers at home alone, occasionally perusing the area for needed changes.

My last game I was on a domination run on a foreign continent, having 70-80 cities total. At home it was pretty much no workers working aside from occasional forest chopping or preserving, mostly just queuing up at the airports for a transoceanic flight. Note: I do NOT road or rail every tile.

Comment

Build pastures/plantations and so on over all recourses in your empire (manually) and give workers "don't destroy exiting improvements" command (from options).

Comment

Solomwi, thank you so much for the info, now I'm happy they build the forts. Man and I thought the game was bugged, but really it was just my lack of knowledge of what forts actually do. Ok thanks.

Comment

have them sleep ???
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by TriMiro
                    Build pastures/plantations and so on over all recourses in your empire (manually) and give workers "don't destroy exiting improvements" command (from options).
                    That is what i do.
                    Strength & Honor!

Comment

Originally posted by Addled Platypus
                      have them sleep ???
                      Maybe they're government workers.

Relax, I'm a government union worker myself.
                      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

That's pretty much what I do when they run out of tasks. Usually they'll be waiting around for RR's and after that their jobs are 'phased out'.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by TriMiro View Post
                          That doesn't work. They will destroy a plantation and put a fort on the resource, even with this option enabled.
                          Give a man a fire and you warm him for a day. Light a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life.

Comment

Screenshot or it didn't happen.

Comment

I noticed this too, I was actually glad for a fort they put right on a bottleneck for me. It bought me 5 turns to gather an army and invade Monty. Not to mention helped me level up an archer to Uber status.
                              First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                              Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Working...
                              X