Unofficial BtS 3.17 patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial BtS 3.17 patch

Welcome to the third installment in the series Following Bhruic's 3.13 patch and Solver's 3.02 patch, here's the unofficial patch for Beyond the Sword 3.17.

If you spot issues with BtS 3.17, please report them. Attach savegames when possible, they make tracking down reproducible problems much easier.

The current version is a zip file that should be extracted to your BtS install directory. It's suggested that you back up the original files first manually. The zip also includes several files .cpp files in the CvGameCoredll folder. Those are for modders. Basically, if you don't know what those files are, don't worry - you don't need them.

Currently we have version 0.19, here's the changelog (should be read bottom to top).
    • AI plane/ship retreating logic when city is in danger extended to Forts
    • Vassal's spies no longer caught in master's territory
    • AI logic on banning nukes tweaked to account for AI leader personality and the global situation
    • Non-native collateral damage tweaked (thanks guys)
    • Civilopedia will now display "replaced by" lines for buildings that get replaced by UBs
    • AI guided missiles will lean towards destroying resource-producing tiles as opposed to improvements like Towns
    • Damaged AI attack planes may choose to continue attacking if no defending interceptors are around
    • Rivers running through deserts will result in floodplains
    • Start location tweaks per SevenSpirits
    • Workers not as lazy, per Bhruic's patch
    • Glance screen reactivated
    • AI will try to retreat air assets from endangered cities
    • AI will no longer refuse to retreat damaged planes
    • AI will change civics during Golden Ages
    • Revised collateral damage formula for non-native collateral units, if modded in
    • Fixed bug in the map generator with water starts
    • AI may now try to use Warlords to create super-medic units
    • Fixed bug that prevented random events that target a unit from triggering
    • Access to the Barrage line removed from armored units. If units with access to Barrage and no inherent collateral damage are modded in, they will work.
    • Fixed AI defender bug for newly captured cities.
    • Made the AI more likely to use missiles on cruisers/subs to strike against enemy improvements.
    • Made AI ships prioritize retreating if docked in a city which is in the danger of imminent capture by enemy.
    • Civilopedia and mouseover help for units that cause collateral damage will now show the collateral damage limit (50% for Catapults, etc.)
    • Somewhat experimental AI change: Aggressive AI now considerably less likely to want peace if it poses more of an immediate threat to enemy cities than it currently faces itself.
    • Fixed unavailability of foreign civ demographics if playing with espionage disabled.
    • Barrage promotions made working again on Tanks and other units with no base collateral ability

Okay, here's some information that might come in useful for those unfamiliar with unofficial patches:

To use this unofficial patch, you must first install the official 3.17 patch for BtS. Refer to the general 3.17 thread if you need help or have questions about that patch. This unofficial patch fixes some known issues from the official patch.

About multiplayer games: the unofficial patch will not work in multiplayer if you are playing with others who do not have it. Basically, to play multiplayer, everyone must have the same files. You can play fine with others who also install the unofficial patch, but you'll need to use the original 3.17 files to play multiplayer otherwise.

About mod compatibility: as a general rule, if a mod doesn't have its own CvGameCoreDll.dll file, then it's compatible with the unofficial patch, otherwise it's not.

Download: http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?...patch-v019.zip

An installer courtesy of Grumbler is available: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...o=file&id=9891 (may not be up-to-date right after I post a new version)
    Last edited by Solver; June 29, 2008, 08:33.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Just as a summary of other discussions elsewhere, can you explain the reasoning to removing Barrage from armored units?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

If you read the discussions elsewhere, can't you summarize?

Comment

if removing barrage from armored, why fix this
        Barrage promotions made working again on Tanks and other units with no base collateral ability
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Firstly, the changelog is bottom-to-top, so I did that first Secondly, this is also for modders. Basically, 3.17 broke Barrage on any unit that doesn't come with inherent collateral ability. So Tanks with Barrage did not do any damage in 3.17.

While I removed access to Barrage from them, people may still mod the game to give Barrage to units. Tanks, Destroyers, War Elephants - whatever, the fix is there so that such modding would work.

Comment

Why did you remove it if you fixed it?
            "

Comment

I have not read the discussion in that detail, actually. I just know it was beginning and so assume it exists I figure if you're going to take that step you should explain it
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Okay, here goes the explanation about why Barrage is removed from armored units.

The Barrage promotions were reworked in 3.17 and the fact that tanks were left with it is a holdover. Tanks are powerful enough as it is though, and they're the most flexible unit in the game quite possibly, as they have access to different promotion lines anyway. Tanks with Barrage II used to also do good collateral damage, quite decreasing the need for land units other than Tanks in their timeframe.

Use Mobile Artillery when available if you want a fast-moving collateral unit. Other than that, for Blitzkriegs, rely on air superiority to cause collateral damage through Bombers, those are available when Tanks are. Hint: Tanks promoted with Pinch are actually the favorites in a fight against Anti-Tank.

Removing Barrage from armored units is also the preference of Firaxis, and one of my goals here is to do things that they wanted to but didn't for some reason.

Oh and EPW, it's a different fix, technically.

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 31, 2010, 14:10.
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Well that didn't take long.

Great work, Solver

Now a request: How about including the patch to restore the "Glance" tab to the foreign advisor screen? (Assuming it still works in 3.17, I haven't tried it yet.)

Comment

What's the point of restoring the Glance tab, really? It was a good idea but that display is quite bugged.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                        What's the point of restoring the Glance tab, really? It was a good idea but that display is quite bugged.
                        Bugged, how? I was of the impression that the reason Firaxis removed it was because of esthetics.

Wodan

Comment

I "DEMAND" to know how the Glance tab is bugged, and also that it be fixed.

Why? Because I use it. Other than it not showing an AI's war weariness with the player, I don't know what, if anything, is wrong or misleading with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RP21
                            Well that didn't take long.

Great work, Solver

Now a request: How about including the patch to restore the "Glance" tab to the foreign advisor screen? (Assuming it still works in 3.17, I haven't tried it yet.)
                            Great Work.

I also would use the Glance Tab.
                            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 31, 2010, 14:11.
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                              X