No announcement yet.

Unofficial BtS 3.17 patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First you need the most recent official patch to BTS; that will include all the prior official patches.
    Then (recommended but not required) you can add the unofficial patch on top of it.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Thank you.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Okay, I'm not very good at this and need some help. I uninstalled my Beyond the Sword and then uninstalled my CivIV Gold Edition then reinstalled the Gold then reinstalled the BtS, then downloaded and installed the Official 3.17 patch and have now downloaded the unofficial patch. My problem is, I've spent the last 3 hours (with many diversions due to interesting content) scrolling through the forums trying to figure out how to "install" the unofficial patch and I can't for the life of me figure it out. I saw how I'm supposed to extract the patch to my BtS install directory but I can't find it and have no idea where to look.

I did this once last year but have since gotten a new computer with Vista instead of XP and now I'm completely lost. There's a good chance I figured it out by accident last year.... Anyway, help!

Thanks!!

Comment

It's the same folders in Vista as it was in XP.

The difference is you may have to enable visibility to your program files directory. And in addition you may have to click "Allow" several times to the User Access Panel.

looking up locations now
          Last edited by joncnunn; June 5, 2009, 17:57.
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Ok, it's not in the top thread and not in the read me file.

But I see an "Assets" and a "CvGameCoreDLL" folder. You won't need the dll folder unless your interested in looking at the source code.

First navigate to your Beyond the Sword instalation directory. Beyond the Sword. Should be Program Files - Firaxis - Sid Meir's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword.

If your replacing the base files, then just copy the contents of the Assets folder found in the ziped file into the Assets folder found in your instalation directory above and it should overwrite the files needed and add any new ones while leaving alone the ones not touched by the unoffical patch. (I'd recomend backing up the .dll file first.)

It looks to me like if you want this as a mod instead, you'd navigate into the Mods directory and create a new directory and then place the contents of the Assets folder in the zip under that new directory.
            Templar Science Minister

Comment

Also of note is that the Better AI project over at Civ Fanatics includes everything in unofficial patch.

Their forum there is http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245
              Templar Science Minister

Comment

Unfortunately, my problem is even more basic than this. You're telling me to "navigate to my BtS installation directory" but I can't find it. All I ever get to is the shortcut. And if I click that it starts the game.

I've been all over my c: drive. I find program files but no folders for BtS in there. The only place I find those files is in my E: drive which is the disk itself, right? In which case, I don't want to touch those files because I could be permanently changing them, right?

I really appreciate the help and thanks for the tip on the Advanced AI. I will definitely install that as well...assuming I ever figure out how.

In the meantime, sorry to bother you but I'm even dumber than you thought...

Thanks!

Comment

Ctrl-click on shortcut icon, choose Find Target. That should reveal where it actually is.
                  EDIT Doh! You're using Vista, so all bets are OFF. END EDIT

Yes, with all three versions of Civ4 in their individual folders within the Civ4 folder, it can be ... messy. Since all I do on my windoze machine is civ, I have select shortcuts of civ locations (e.g. BtS, BtS saves, BtS xml assets, BtS Quicksave).

Comment

I would absolutely love to play 3.17 + Advanced AI. Just can't figure out how. I tried the ctrl-click thing to no avail. Just starts the stupid game again. My next move is to uninstall everything again and install to my own manually named directory? Can I do that? As opposed to just letting it install wherever it puts itself?

I'm not opposed to putting in a little time to getting this thing set up right. The vast majority of games I play are well over 100 hrs of actual game play. It usually takes me a couple of months to finish one. Unfortunately, I rarely make it to the end without crashing. But by that time, the writing is on the wall. I've basically won and all that's left is completely annihilating whoever's left so I'm not too distraught about it.

I also am not too opposed to cheating a little, not with code or anything, but I'll start at a save if I lose an important piece--say a warlord buffed to Medic III and City Raider III. I like to keep them around. Makes cracking cities a little easier. Plus it's fun having them run around with 200+ experience points.

Anyway, I appreciate you guys' effort so far and would love it if you could help me get rolling again. Like I said, I don't want to play another 100 hr game if I don't have the latest and greatest the game has to offer.

Thanks!

Comment

Try asking your question here.

Comment

Perhaps a print screen of the BTS directory would help.

The only thing left of Program Files is "C:\"
                        Attached Files
                        Templar Science Minister

Comment

Working...
                        X