Previous: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=174817

May NPD:

HW
    Wii 675.1K
    PlayStation 3 208.7K
    Xbox 360 186.6K

SW Top 10
    Top 10 SKU's May 2008 Rank # Units
    (includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc.)
    360 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) APR 2008 1 871.3K
    WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2008 2 787.4K
    WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA MAY 2008 3 687.7K
    PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) APR 2008 4 442.9K
    WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 5 294.6K
    WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL NINTENDO OF AMERICA MAR 2008 6 171.1K
    PS2 IRON MAN SEGA OF AMERICA APR 2008 7 130.6K
    WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ WIREACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 8 116.8K
    NDS POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF DARKNESS NOA APR 2008 9 107K
    NDS POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF TIME NOA APR 2008 10 102K

Wii software sales don't look too bad, what with a bunch of big-name **** Nintendo games like Mario Kart and Wii Fit.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Wii is killing 360 across the board.

Comment

Yeah, quite a few solid Wii titles have come out recently. But it'll soon be back to a dry spell. Does Nintendo have any more worthwhile franchises left?

Comment

Are these international sales or just US?

I'm curious to know whether US game players like those cutsie kind of games or not.
        be free

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
          Yeah, quite a few solid Wii titles have come out recently. But it'll soon be back to a dry spell. Does Nintendo have any more worthwhile franchises left?
          Depends on your idea of worthwhile

Wario Land Shake is coming this summer I believe.

Kid Icarus and Animal Crossing are rumored for the fall as well as probably Mario Party 9 and Wii Music.

Kirby will come next probably (it was mentioned in one of their releases a while ago)

Then you have Starfox, F Zero, and Pikmin that will get inevitable sequels after that.

And then I would expect a wii zelda in the fall/winter of 2010.

Nintendo really has a ton of fairly reliable (1.5m+) franchises to trot out.

Mario has barely been whored out-sluggers is out this summer, hoops and tennis are probably next year and the year after.

nintendogs wii is undoubtedly coming.

Fatal Frame IV looks very nice, but very niche of course.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy
            Are these international sales or just US?

I'm curious to know whether US game players like those cutsie kind of games or not.
            NPD is US-only
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
              Wii is killing 360 across the board.
              This month, yes. What's interesting to me is the 360 is up from May '07, even at the same price tag.

I'd imagine a price cut would do wonders for them now.

Comment

I'd wonder about that, actually - the console might be strong enough based on software to have relatively little price elasticity.

Honestly, the best thing they could do would be to have a blu-ray addon ... I don't know that they ever will, of course, but it would be a big boon especially from people like me who don't particularly want an x-box, but would rather get an x360+BR than just BR (or a PS3/BR).
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

the top 20 SW titles
                  1. Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2, Xbox 360)
                  2. Mario Kart (Nintendo, Wii)
                  3. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii)
                  4. Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2, PS3)
                  5. Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii)
                  6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo, Wii)
                  7. Iron Man (Sega, PS2)
                  8. Guitar Hero III (Activision, Wii)
                  9. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness (Nintendo, DS)
                  10. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time (Nintendo, DS)
                  11. Call of Duty 4 (Activision, 360)
                  12. Iron Man (Sega, PSP)
                  13. We Ski (Namco, Wii)
                  14. Mario Kart (Nintendo, DS)
                  15. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, DS)
                  16. God of War 2 (Sony, PS2)
                  17. Game Party (Midway, Wii)
                  18. Guitar Hero III (Activision, PS2)
                  19. Haze (Ubisoft, PS3)
                  20. Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo, Wii)

Of these, 11 are next gen titles (excluding Wii play) Of the 11, 7 are Wii titles. Of those 3 are third party titles.

So of the top 11 next gen console titles, 3 are 3rd party titles for the Wii. Not necessarily the games everyone here would purchase, but still.

Also of interest is the continuing "legs" of many Wii titles. SMG and GH3 both making the top 20 list again (as of course, did COD4 for the 360) Boomblox, which is somewhere in the top 30, is also expected to have long legs, IIUC.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                    Nintendo really has a ton of fairly reliable (1.5m+) franchises to trot out.
                    Reliable, yes. Most of those games will sell moderately well, but nowhere near a SSBB level, with the exception of the next Zelda game. The only other ones that might come close would be Star Fox or F-Zero (helped by the Wii steering wheel).

The 360 has a few guaranteed blockbuster titles that will dominate the charts: Gears of War 2, Fable 2, along with the latest releases in reliable franchises, Soul Caliber IV, NCAA Football '09. More importantly, we've got some new titles like Alone in the Dark, Alan Wake and (new to 360) Banjo Kazooie.

Further, if you look at the Wii titles that are doing well...

Wii Play is obviously selling so well thanks to its packaged controller. This is something I think we've all agreed on. Therefore I don't really bother talking about it.

Mario Kart and SSBB are both established franchises, Mario Kart from SNES, SSB from N64. I would say an overwhelming number of 'traditional' gamers grew up with these games. Said gamers probably own multiple consoles (Wii60, for instance). Given the lasting replay/party-game value in games like Mario Kart/SSBB, this is an instance where the same gamers maintaining the 360's SW attach rate have propelled the sales rate for these two Wii titles. In addition are those who are new to the franchises, such as young kids or new gamers. These make up a much smaller portion, I would imagine. I don't think we'll see another game released on the Wii that will meet SSBB-level sales, though, not for a while anyway.

Wii Fit is an interesting game. This isn't the first Wii title released that was aimed at a 'nontraditional' gamer, but it's the only one with sales worth talking about. We'll see how long these numbers continue, of course, but for now, nearly 700,000 sales is pretty impressive given the target audience. Next month the sales will probably have dropped off significantly, but you never know.

Comment

Snuggles is quite quiet it seems.

Comment

I don't know that Wii Fit will drop off that much. It's still out of stock in a lot of places, meaning there are still people wanting to buy it... we'll see, of course, but it could well keep up 500k+ sales next month (if there is stock to supply that).
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Surprisingly, yes.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                            The 360 has a few guaranteed blockbuster titles that will dominate the charts: Gears of War 2, Fable 2, along with the latest releases in reliable franchises, Soul Caliber IV, NCAA Football '09. More importantly, we've got some new titles like Alone in the Dark, Alan Wake and (new to 360) Banjo Kazooie.

Isnt Madden supposed to be the big summer time release for the 360? Hitting in July?
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Isnt Madden supposed to be the big summer time release for the 360? Hitting in July?
                              re Wii releases - In a week or so we get Rock Band for the Wii, dont we? Given that GH3 has done reasonably well on the Wii, it will be interesting to see how RB does.

Comment

Working...
                              X