No announcement yet.

serfdom does not apply to lumbermills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serfdom does not apply to lumbermills?

Hi,

This is another one of those questions that I never asked but which always have puzzled me.

It seems like switching to serfdom has no effect for the building of lumbermills. Without serfdom a lumbermill takes 6 worker turns. And after switching to serfdom (which should have my workers build improvements faster by 50%) a new lumbermill still requires 6 worker turns. (This is well after the anarchy has ended and for old as well and new orders.)

At least since BTS has it been like this for me, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled completely a few times already but this never changes.

Any clues, anyone?
    "Can we get a patch that puts Palin under Quayle?" - Theben

Sounds like a bug if there's no effect from serfdom for build lumbermills. I cannot check right now... maybe i'll remember when i get home or someone confirms this before that.

Comment

Re: serfdom does not apply to lumbermills?

Originally posted by guermantes
      Hi,

This is another one of those questions that I never asked but which always have puzzled me.

It seems like switching to serfdom has no effect for the building of lumbermills. Without serfdom a lumbermill takes 6 worker turns. And after switching to serfdom (which should have my workers build improvements faster by 50%) a new lumbermill still requires 6 worker turns. (This is well after the anarchy has ended and for old as well and new orders.)

At least since BTS has it been like this for me, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled completely a few times already but this never changes.

Any clues, anyone?
      I thought serfdom affected city buildings, not terrain improvements, but I've just checked and I was wrong. I've been playing under a mistaken understanding of serfdom for years!

RJM
      Last edited by rjmatsleepers; June 10, 2008, 03:59.
      Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

well that makes no sense.

I usually dont use serfdom. I just built more workers. But I have noticed, that the 50% bonus works wierd, Using stacks of six workers to build my railroads(marathon), serfdom only dropped it to 5. So what you are likely seeing is the turns beeing rounded up, and the bonus doesnt actually apply? Yeh ya got me wondering now, think I'll load up a game and actually try that civic again.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

I play normal speed. There are many cases in which rounding is involved that results in serfdom's advantage being less than 50%. But Lumbermills & Watermills are actualy some of the more noticable drops with serfdom than without.

Roads/Railroads is often no advantage on light terraign post tech that doubles worker speed.

Anyway Serfdom is my normal default pre Emancipation civic in BTS. It has lower maintenance than Serfdom, doesn't have the random slave revolt associated to the Slavery civic, and I just build the buildings for specalists.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Your numbers seem weird to me. At normal speed, I get

8 turns out of the gate
            6 turns with a 50% bonus
            4 turns with 2 x 50% bonus

With 50% bonuses provided by Serfdom, Hagia Sofia, and Steam Power (which obsoletes the Hag).

All of that is consistent with an iTime of 800 for lumbermills, with worker turns valued at 100.

WorkRate seems to be completely controlled by
            CvPlayer.processBuilding
            CvPlayer.processCivics
            CvTeam.processTech

My best guess is that you are inadvertently comparing No Serfdom + Steam Power (or Hag Sofia) to Serfdom alone.

Comment

I checked last night, and it was 12 turns for a lumbermill (epic speed) and it was 8 turns with Serfdom. That's without the HS, or steam power. I am running the unofficial patch.
              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Can I really have been so stupid? I have distinct memories from several games that the numbers don't change. I will have to reload an old save and play through a couple of lumber mill turns....

Comment

Well, what can I say, I stand very much corrected. 8 worker turns before serfdom and 6 afterwards, on normal speed. I wonder what I was thinking? I have been convinced that serfdom has no effect on lumbermills for several months. I seem to have made the same mistake in game after game. Sorry for the mixup....

Comment

Working...
                  X