Civ4: Col - Age of Discovery II Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4: Col - Age of Discovery II Mod

Well, Col2 is announced and all the little plebs are happy. hehehe.

So, I can see them being fairly faithful to the original, which means certain very influenctial areas of this era will be totally skipped or summarised horrendously.

We also know that Col2 is going to be on the Civ4 engine so one can assume a certain level of Modding is possible (at least to the level of BtS, hopefully higher).

Thus I am proposing the beginnings of my Age of Discovery II Mod for C4C (Civ4: Col):

1. Add in Portugal, Denmark, Russia and China. We will assume for the minute that the original nations are in: Spain, England, France and Holland.

2. Allow a native victory: such as "Declare Federation (at which point all natives DoW) and capture and hold for 10 turns 50% of all native villages". This is similar to the game Conquest of the New World (awesome game!). This is assuming there is not already a native victory and that only Revolution is available to the Euros.

3. If not already in allowing the discovering and naming of terrain features, such as mountains, ranges, plains, rivers, etc.

4. Extend the map to Western Africa. This region played a large part in the colonisation of the Americas.

5. A Pirate nation to add a real spin to the game.

This is just a beginning list, and as more information comes to hand and the game's release, this will get extended.

Comments? Suggestions?

Add Ottomans too.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Why the Ottomans? Sure they were one of the causes of the AoD (controlling the overland east-west trade routes) but they didn't exactly follow colonisation prefering land conquest. If there was a middle eastern country to include I would propose Oman, who actually did colonise areas in India and eastern coast of Africa. At one point they were rivals with Portugal for control of large areas of eastern Africa.

Comment

So you want something more complete and realistic than the original Col, but not quite Europa Universalis?

I loved EU2 (havent yet played EU3) and would be happy with the old Col with a modern interface and graphics.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
          Why the Ottomans? Sure they were one of the causes of the AoD (controlling the overland east-west trade routes) but they didn't exactly follow colonisation prefering land conquest. If there was a middle eastern country to include I would propose Oman, who actually did colonise areas in India and eastern coast of Africa. At one point they were rivals with Portugal for control of large areas of eastern Africa.
          Are you saying AoE3 is not historically acurate?
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Comment

Actually, I'm quite happy with the old formula and loved playing it for many many years (even now), but I think expanding it to include a few little extras would make the game totally awesome.

Comment

I want to see religion.

I want to see disease.

Also China or any ME civ should have a sperate victory condition, not revoultion but something like keep the dirty Euros out so we can enslave the natives ourselves.

BTW What about Japan or an Indian state?

Comment

BTW Does this mean no AoD2 for Civ4 BtS?

Comment

What's the point of having an isolationist state in a game about exploration? Is it like a control or something?

Adding in Africa might be a bit interesting. Of course you can't be all PC squeamish if you want it there for what it was...

It will be interesting to see what kind of map randomisation options they have in c4c.

Comment

Anyway to play as the Native Tribes? Maybe create a Federation to fight off settlement?

Some exploration bonuses would also be nice; discovering the Pacific, finding the Grand Canyon, etc.
                      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

How about not adding Russia and China or Ottomans ? Such ahistorical nations did not try their hand at colonization lik ethe big 5 did.
                        «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Sorry to say, but Russia colonized more land area than any other European nation.

Comment

To me, China is the only illogical one - China was anti-colonizing at its heart. Japan would make more sense there.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, China is illogical in the true historical sense (though the Ming Dynasty claims it occured, the 1421 voyage has no evidence of occuring) having a second western start nation would help to stop Russia running rampant on the west coast. An unhindered nation in Col is something you don't want to come up against.

As for Japan, weren't they extremely isolationist during this period? At least till they let the Dutch, Spanish and Portugese in, late 17th century.

Comment

Working...
                              X