Having trouble updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble updating

Hi I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm not sure where else.

My problem is that I download the update fine but when I try installing it, it will be almost done then an error will occur saying that I do not have Civilization installed and that a previous version must be installed first.

I have tried reinstalling it and that didn't work.

I have also tried starting from the very first patch and that didn't work.

I tried clicking the check for updates button in the advanced menu ingame.

I also have another problem with the game when it will sometimes flicker and after playing for a while the graphics will start to rip and tear.

I am running vista with 2gb of ram and a 2.33ghz processor

plz help

You probably should post this in Civ4-General ... I'll move it

What version of Civ do you have - CivilizationIV ('vanilla' ie basic), Warlords, or Beyond the Sword?

What patch are you trying to install?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Thanks for moving it.

I am using Warlords and have tried to download all the patches i can find for it.

Thanks for the help

Comment

What sort of install did you have - CD/DVD or Steam or Direct2Drive?

Comment

Install, as in civ install? I installed with a CD

Comment

What version of Warlords do you have now - this is shown on the Advanced portion of the main menu.

Comment

build version: 2.1.3.0

Comment

Wait, isn't the latest patch 2.08?? maybe that's why I can't install the patch...

Well if that's the case I feel a little dumb. But then what do i do about the flickering and tearing of the graphics?

Comment

2.13 is the newest patch, as far as I know.

That could be your graphics card and/or driver. What card do you have (including memory onboard)?

Comment

Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

main driver: igdumdx32.dll

I just updated the driver a few days ago

286mb memory onboard i think
                    Last edited by Ibcabob; May 28, 2008, 16:09.

Comment

At least you aren't having trouble dating.

Welcome to Apolyton Ibcabob.
                      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Lol, thanks no truoble dating.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibcabob
                          Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

main driver: igdumdx32.dll

I just updated the driver a few days ago

286mb memory onboard i think
                          That could be your problem (also when you say 286MB memory, do you mean total system memory, or memory available to the GPU?)

That's not a discrete graphics card but an integrated video chipset that does not entirely support Civ4. It is enough for Civ4 to agree to run, but it uses software to emulate certain things that are supposed to be handled by hardware - which means that if your CPU isn't very, very good, it isn't going to be adequate.

I don't know if you're going to be able to run this all that well, particularly at any reasonably high settings. Try turning settings all the way down, turn off animations, definitely turn off AntiAliasing (AA)... maybe this will fix it If you have a desktop, then upgrade to a discrete video card (ATI/NVIDIA). If not, you may not have much of a choice... If I remember that is a desktop set, though, so that could be good news

Comment

286mb on the card i think i have 2gb of ram and i have tried all resolutions and graphics settings maybe i should call the support number on the 2k site.

Comment

It's not a 'card', for sure, because Intel doesn't make cards. It's a part of your system, integrated, which does not generally have its own discrete memory - it's usually 'shared' memory, using your normal system memory.

Like I said - you may not ever be able to get Civ to run well. It's a matter of hardware; Intel GMA does not support hardware T&S, but rather does it via software emulation, which is NOT good for performance, and is not perfect anyway - it may not behave well with DirectX.

In the short term, what you can do is:

1. Turn off animations and antialiasing
                              2. Allocate as much memory as possible to your graphics card.
                              3. Make sure you have updated to the latest version of DirectX - do that by downloading the current updater and running it, even if it appears you have the latest version.

In the scheme of things, though, getting a discrete graphics card is the best solution, by far. Does your system have an AGP or a PCI-x16 (PCI Express) slot?`

Comment

Working...
                              X