Abandoned Baby Doves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandoned Baby Doves

Since yesterday morning I've been looking after dove chicks that have been abandoned by their deadbeat parents.

For the past few weeks a dove built and roosted a nest above a garden hose reel attached to a wall. Well, the mother dove left the nest on Saturday and the two eggs in the nest hatched the following morning. I was out a lot the day they hatched and never saw the mother dove come back. In fact, I haven't seen her anywhere at all.

I really didn't want the dove chicks to starve to death, so I went online and looked up formulas and ways to feed baby doves. I made some food, feed them every few hours. They seem to be doing okay and I guess the food agrees with them since they poop it out.

Anyways, I established the routine and left them in the nest outside and tried to be as non-invasive as possible in the hopes the mother would come back. This morning, I took the day off, set the nest in a basket, and moved them inside my place since a nasty wind storm is approaching.

Still, I'm not a trained professional and I'd rather hand the birds over to a wildlife rehabilitator. I've been calling wildlife rehabilitators in the area since Monday but the assh*les are never there. Does anyone know anything about baby doves?

thread is useless without pics.

also
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

They're sleeping now but okay.
      Attached Files

Comment

Who are you and what have you done to Riesstiu
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

So how does it sounds like when doves cry?
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
            Who are you and what have you done to Riesstiu
            "And what happened then? Well, in Dallas they say that Riesstiu's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Good news. I just had a rehabilitator contact me. Apparently she knows a woman not far from here who specializes in raising doves, and she will happily take them in. As soon as I get directions, I'll probably drive to the center with the dove chicks.

Originally posted by Nostromo
            So how does it sounds like when doves cry?
            Music to my ears.

Comment

I managed to reach the dove ornithologist and give the dove chicks to her. She said they were weak but would recover and fed them while I was there. Apparently you need some kind of special instrument to open their beaks and feed them directly.

Anyways, the two dove chicks will be in good company. There are at least a dozen other doves in her aviary flying around and pooping.

Troll response: I turned them into chicken nuggets and they were tasty.

Comment

I was going to suggest you turn them into tasty snacks. They're bite-sized!
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Congratulations on saving the skyrat species.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Shuold have hand raised them as pets
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I don't think I could. Dove chicks require a lot of time and specialized equipment and food in order successfully raise them.

Comment

It's much more fun raising real chicks as pets, anyway.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                        X