Cats taking over Japanese economy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats taking over Japanese economy....

A loss-making Japanese railway company is back on track thanks to the popularity of a stray cat.

Wearing a black cap and posing for photos with passengers, Tama the tabby is credited with boosting Wakayama Electric Railway's revenue by 10%.

The firm had to axe all staff at Kishi station in western Japan two years ago.

But Tama stuck by her post and was rewarded with promotion to station manager. The pet mascot even has her own office, a former ticket booth.

The feline, who was born and raised at the station in the city of Kinokawa, Wakayama prefecture, is living proof of the Japanese belief that cats are good luck.

Map

"She never complains, even though passengers touch her all over the place. She is an amazing cat. She has patience and charisma. She is the perfect station master," said Yoshiko Yamaki, a spokeswoman for the rail company.

The nine-year-old - who receives cat food in lieu of a salary - won national stardom last year when the firm formally appointed her as "station master".

Since then passengers have been gradually returning, recently rising 10% to about 2.1 million a year.

The cat has spawned a range of popular merchandise, including a picture book called: "Diary of Tama, the Station Master."

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

First hard-working people lose their jobs and are replaced by cats. Next the railway company will stop transporting humans alltogether. Only rich cats are allowed to travel around then. Soon we'll all be slaves of the evil cat empire
    Blah

I, for one, welcome our new cat overlords
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      I, for one, welcome our new cat overlords
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Bow down before the Great Puththy!

Comment

I don't understand what's wrong with Japan.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

WW2 ****ed them up good.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yea, what were in those bombs? Freakin Sony radios?

/Dice

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

No dice.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I question the sexuality of any male who willfully owns a cat.

Comment

All your stations are belong to meow?
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                      I question the sexuality of any male who willfully owns a cat.
                      I love cats, what is there to question? Do you think I'm secretly straight?

Comment

I question the sexuality of any male who willfully calls himself Riesstiu.

Spec.
                        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Cat owner spotted.

Comment

Spec.

Comment

I'm gay too. Er. I mean, I own a cat, too.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X