Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead
    armadillos.
    -- Jim Hightower, Texas Agricultural Commissioner

I'm not positive, but I think it's Berz that has, or had, in the sig line. The reason it comes up is that it was one of the While Waiting quotes. It's not a bash on the person, Berz on not. It's a Jim question.

I'd like to discuss this point.
    For starters, what does it really mean? Surely, I'm not the only living person that has views on both left and right side of issues.
    Now this is my counter point in Mr. Hightower's statement. If a person has the both sides views, would that not become balance, middle of the road?
    If that's what it's supposed to mean, that you either believe in all from one side or the other, or you're an armadillo, I don't buy it, and I think that's ridiculous.

I think this could be a poll, don't you think? All your head.
    You pick one side and stay with it, by gawd; or your're armadillo.
    18.75%
    I don't see a problem with agreeing with both sides. No, to the 'dillo theory.
    56.25%
    I really am an armadillo, carved from a banana.
    25.00%
    Last edited by SlowwHand; May 12, 2008, 21:51.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Is there something wrong with being an armadillo?

Better than the sheep...

Comment

Wrong other than being dead? I've seen more along a road than I have at night moving around. They're pretty shy.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Well it can't be as bad as being on the fringes, as the only things there are ditches and garbage.
        Last edited by Ben Kenobi; May 12, 2008, 22:00.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You can find some cool stuff on the side of the road.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Re: There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            If a person has the both sides views, would that not become balance, middle of the road?
            Balance, maybe, in some odd kind of way. Centrist, not likely. Just because you have some wildly right wing views and some wildly left wing views doesn't put you in the middle. It just means you're prone to extremes.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Indeed... being in the middle of the road is not exactly the same as believing in views from different sides. After all, the political spectrum doesn't exactly encompass all parts. Not even the political square does that.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I didn't say radical viewpoints. Maybe I was unclear.

Comment

I don't think he just meant radical viewpoints... he was just using them to make a point.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sometimes you have to cross the line.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yes, Jr. I think if you're just one side only, all the time, it's called brainwashed.

Imran, are you saying that there are "weighted" issues? Some count more than others?
                      +6 added to -6 is what? And if these hypothetical weighted issues, what if in the end the same balance exists? That's middle of the road. That is true independent. I don't consider it armadillo. I call it seeing both sides of issues. I don't think either party, any party, is correct on all things, all the time.

Comment

I think he didn't necessarily mean people who believe in points on both sides, but people who try to please both sides - ie, politicians who are 'moderate' and try to get votes from both sides of the aisle. I'd say that he's encouraging people to stick to what they believe in, and not try to be 'moderate' just to get votes.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You're not a dead armadillo, you're a yellow stripe... so Jim infers. It's a 'stick to yer guns' kinda message.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I have that book around somewhere. Haven't read it in years.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I remember when I was growing up in Jersey the speed of cars on the streets got faster. We didn't have armadillos. The squirrels didn't know how to deal with cars when crossing the road. They would see a car coming and start running to one side, then turn round and start to the other only to reverse again and continued doing this until finally they got run over. If they had just stuck to their guns they would have been fine.

That's my take on the situation.

Towards the end of my stay in Jersey this seemed to happen less somewhat. A girlfriend of mine ran one over once and came home feeling miserable. I told her she was contributing to evolution, that some sunny day all the indecisive squirrels would be dead. That made her feel alot better, but I don't really understand girls.

That squirrel thing really doesn't apply to people I don't think. Well then again maybe it does...but nah.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X