SMAC in XP windowed mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC in XP windowed mode

Although the first thread says under question 10 (How do I get SMAC/X to run in a higher resolution/window?)"

"It isn't possible to run SMAC/X in anything other than a full screen.",

there is still a way to run SMAC in a window.

Try DXWnd.
    You can find it at the end of this article.

The only problem is that you cannot see the cursor.
    Although there are some options to fiddle with, I didn't managed to get the cursor working right.

Any idea about this?

After some search on the topic of windowed mode, I found this thread.

There is this version of DXWnd where the cursor is OK but you cannot see the movies (maybe a setting could do it?).

You'll have to fiddle with the settings and set the window size to 1024x768.

Anyone else interested to find a complete solution to windowing SMAC?

Comment

As you noted, item #10 in the FAQ is outdated. However, did you see item #60?
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

What I do is fire up SMAX, then open up a command prompt, go to c:\games\smax\movies, then type in 'playuv15 whatever.wve'. Quit out of the movie and your screen will return to its original resolution, with SMAX in its own "window". Window in quotes because it's not a true window , you can not drag-n-drop and resize it, but it's good enough for me.

By the way I use XP, and have the movies disabled.

Comment

Right Petek , my mistake.

I've read that entire thread but Q60 might have slipped my mind completely.

The windowed mode is working perfectly (even the movies)

Thanks guys for answering !!!

P.S.
          Now, this thread is useless (due to my not paying enough attention to previous posts).
          Is there a way to delete it?

Comment

Glad to hear that you got it to work!

Only mods can delete threads. You can send one (they are listed at the top of the AC General page) a PM with a request to do so. However, I think that this thread serves a purpose and so should remain.

Petek
            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
            -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
            X