Disabling Mr. Nimoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling Mr. Nimoy

I was wondering if it was possible to selectively turn off the technology voiceovers while still leaving the unit response voices active. If I turn off all voices, the game seems a bit barren, but when I leave them on, I get annoyed every time I earn a new tech!
    Mmmmm.... brains....

Well you could replace all the sounds in Assets/Sounds/Tech with blank MP3s, though that would involve a fair amount of work. Other than that there's no way. The two are tied to the same control.

PS: I've actually never tried to just delete them. You should back them up first though before you try that or you might screw up your game and have to reinstall.

Comment

I think there is an option to disable tech splash screens in the ini. That would probably stop the voice overs as well.

Comment

Great, found em. As much as it pains me to have to censure Mr. Spock, he just doesn't bring the right atmosphere to the game for me. Thanks for your help!
        Mmmmm.... brains....

Comment

Censor*

Comment

Originally posted by Wormling
            Great, found em. As much as it pains me to have to censure Mr. Spock, he just doesn't bring the right atmosphere to the game for me. Thanks for your help!
            So have you tried deleting them and did it work? Though I don't really mind Leonard's voice, I've heard all those blurbs so many times now I've become a bit sick of them myself. The novelty of hearing Mr. Spock in my civ game has more than worn off.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
              Censor*
              Ha, I just inadvertently learned the real meaning of censure. Thanks! :P

There's just something about Lenny's deadpan delivery that just seems out of place with the decor of the game. I dunno... maybe I'm just yearning for the flair of SMAC's tech blurbs. For a brief moment, I was considering renaming the SMAC files for use in Civ, but that'd be quite a bit of work for just a little nostalgia.
              Mmmmm.... brains....

Comment

But but but... I like Lernard Nimoy's voice...
                My identity is of no consequence save for the epitath of your grave.

Comment

I love Nimoy's voice, but the new Sid voice overs in BtS are annoying and produce a displeasing disunity to the experience.

Next time, Firaxis, may I suggest just getting a pleasing female voice over artist, who will readily agree to any new technology voice overs as needed. Or better yet, bring back domestic advisers and have them each read quotes for their various genres.
                  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Let us train more soldiers, so they may sheeth their swords in the beating hearts of our enemies!

Isn't there an option to turn the voices into simple "You have discovered astronomy"-blurbs?
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I found Sid's voice overs for the BtS techs to be quite jarring at first but I got used to him pretty quickly.

The main problem is that the first time you are most likely to hear Sid is when you research Aesthetics and IMO the Aesthetics quote is pretty bad. A professional actor would have a hard time making that sound good let alone poor old Sid. So everybody gets a bad first impression of him.

Comment

I've never even heard Sid tell me about the new techs. Had Nemoy disabled from about my third game of vanilla and he's only made a brief reappearance when I've installed Warlords and BTS. He was disabled pretty soon after that as well. He just seems to mumble on for too long for me.
                        Random signature generator - Press Ctrl & W to see more!

Comment

Say it ain't so! Heresy!
                          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Well, unfortunately... he's dead, Jim.

However, in their place, my significant other has offered to re-record all of the tech blurbs using her own voice. If that ain't love, I don't know what is! To spice them up, I'm planning on taking tech-related sounds and splicing them in at the beginning of each sound file.

"Moooooooooo! Blessed shall be the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep."
                            Mmmmm.... brains....

Comment

Well, unfortunately... he's dead, Jim. ...
                              Is this true? Leonard Nimoy died?
                              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Working...
                              X