This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Guidelines for Tech Tree Design" by Maniac

The two-hundred-and-twenty-eighth edition of "The Column" is now online. Written by Apolyton Civilization Site forum user 'Maniac', he tells Civilization IV modders that when designing a tech tree to have it revolve around key themes in their work.

Comments on this piece are welcome in this thread and/or via email in communicating directly to the author.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

I totally agree on Divine Right. Techs which are dead ends are worthless if you're not certain they can give you something all the time. If it provided a national wonder instead of a world wonder, it could be worth researching more often.
    There's one thing that's been overlooked, which is the ability to research other techs. Although it's not particularly flashy, a tech whose sole effect is to be a prerequisite for 4 other, more interesting, techs. Such a tech is often very precious and is worth trading, even though it doesn't do anything 'per se'.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
      There's one thing that's been overlooked, which is the ability to research other techs. Although it's not particularly flashy, a tech whose sole effect is to be a prerequisite for 4 other, more interesting, techs. Such a tech is often very precious and is worth trading, even though it doesn't do anything 'per se'.
      That's indeed a good point, and that (most techs being absolute requirement for further techs) is a big reason why the Civ4 tech tree doesn't suck, despite many techs not providing a universal benefit.

However one could raise the question:
      "If the only use of a tech is that it leads to another tech, what's the point of making it two seperate techs?"

I can give the answer myself:
      "Because sometimes you're in a strategy where you want one or more of those specific or first researcher benefits, but you don't want to spend the extra time researching what it leads to in order to get them."

Still, while a tech tree where many techs' only universal benefit is that it is required for other techs, isn't a bad tech tree, the tech tree would IMO be more interesting and the tech in question more fun to research if it also always directly provided a universal benefit. Eg while I rationally know Paper leads to other important techs, I never feel particularly excited when I get it. Rather disappointed or bored in fact. And for a good civ game I guess you want a player to feel happy with every new achievement made, to encourage "one more turn!".

But yeah, a tech leading to other techs should most likely be added to the list of universal benefits.
      Last edited by Maniac; April 28, 2008, 06:45.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Gift them to another player, declare war on that player, and then you can conquer and raze the city.

Comment

404 Not Found
          The requested URL /misc/column/228_design.shtml was not found on this server.

Comment

Originally posted by bluetemplar View Post
            404 Not Found
            An archived copy can be found at the address below:

PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Evolves into Manic Eraser Cat when obtained from the Tank Maniac Stage and is level 20 or above. ... Mason for all your office supply, ink and toner, furniture, technology, break ... control of annual and perennial weeds, woody brush and trees. ... Our unique erasers topper comes in 8 different baby animal designs:.
              The short answer is Antlr produces a parse-tree, so there will always be cruft to ... grammar by Positive Technologies. h files to figure out the capabilities of tree.
              In this blog, I attempted my best to give all of you the insights regarding TalkToApplebee's. You can take this survey via www.talktoapplebees.com and get the opportunity to win a $1000 cash prize.

Comment

Working...
              X