Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Select ALL Units, Everywhere

Heya,

Something that has been frustrating me for some time is a couple of the unit selection methods, or lack thereof. Please let me know if any of you know of a command or other way to do the following:

a) select all units of your empire, everywhere (not just in your city or square), and be able to do things with them (ie. delete, promote, move)

b) select all units of the same type in your empire, everywhere (not just in your city or square), and be able to do things with them (ie. delete, promote, move)

c) when "selecting all" in a city, being able to actually select all. If there are sea units, selecting all only selects sea units (even if there are 20 units in the city and 18 of those aren't sea). Same thing for the air units (if no sea units).

-----------
    A search of this site & the Internet hasn't helped me, but if it's already out there, please redirect!

Thanks in advance!

"Select ALL Units, Everywhere"

So YOU'RE the one that's been moving my units around!
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

B) select unit, hold alt key, select promote option done.

I like this one because it tells you how much it costs to promote all units of that type so you can decide if you want to do them all or if you have to cherry pick them since you don't have enough money.

C) right click and choose selection option.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
        B) select unit, hold alt key, select promote option done.

I like this one because it tells you how much it costs to promote all units of that type so you can decide if you want to do them all or if you have to cherry pick them since you don't have enough money.

C) right click and choose selection option.
        Yeah, the second one (b)) is great and I have used it for some time for upgrading.. but unfortunately it only works for upgrading all units... everywhere. Now that they are upgraded, what if I just want to promote them all at the same time instead of choosing one-by-one (I want to avoid the long delay between going from one unit to another).

I could Fortify them all as you specify in c) but that's all I can do via the right-click menu (that would be useful to 'shut them up'. I could also wake them all up, but what if I now wanted to move them all to the same location or delete them?
        Last edited by ejafus; April 16, 2008, 13:21.

Comment

Originally posted by ejafus ... Now that they are upgraded, what if I just want to promote them all at the same time instead of choosing one-by-one (I want to avoid the long delay between going from one unit to another)...
          Well, you could always group all units on the same tile, Swordsmen for instance by using the 'Same Unit Type' button, then give them all the same upgrade.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Yeah, [control] click on unit will group all the same type together, for upgrades and other things. (since I always confuse same type and all units buttons)
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er

Well, you could always group all units on the same tile, Swordsmen for instance by using the 'Same Unit Type' button, then give them all the same upgrade.
              True, however this would mean you would a) have to go to each city to get them there (unless they are new units going to a rally point....but my need is more for units that stay stationed in cities), and then you'd have to divvy them up into smaller groups to send back to each city one by one.

The outcome I'm trying to achieve is to diminish a large part of the micromanagement involved in units management. In larger empires it can be a bit of a pain.

For example, if I have the whole empire creating units, let's say 20 cities create a unit at once. I'd have to go to each of the units and a) wait for the unit to be fully highlighted/registered by the application, b) promote it and wait for the app. to register the promotion, c) Fortify and wait for the app to fortify the promotion, then wait for the app. to cycle to the next active unit. That's crazy and unnecessarily time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                Yeah, [control] click on unit will group all the same type together, for upgrades and other things. (since I always confuse same type and all units buttons)
                Yeah, this is great however unfortunately it again only selects the same unit type in that one tile or city.

I like to think more on the empire level than the micromanagement level (though each has its obvious uses).

Comment

Since I vary promos, it's rare when I would need this feature. But I can see some value to it.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Personally, I'd love to be able to activate, or de-automate all of my 30+ automated workers, for example, when I discover railroads.
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

If they're all already on build network option and just sitting in a city since they ran out of things to connect, won't they automatically wake up and start building railroads?
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You are correct...
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I noticed this when a well was sabatoged later in a game and a whole slew of workers showed up to fix it.

I really wish there was an automation order to REPAIR sabatoge. If it's a resource they will but if it's a regular mine that isn't on a resource it would be nice to get the same service. You see those messages that another farm was sabotaged, and I'm usually to lazy at that point to see where it was, find where workers are resting and assign them to fix it. (at least till the city starves a pop point and I wonder how the heck that happened)
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                            Since I vary promos, it's rare when I would need this feature. But I can see some value to it.
                            Yeah, I prefer a faster-paced and more en-masse type of game; I know I should pay more attention to promotions but to me they are annoying. I think if you could setup some kind of unit management where you could create all units using a particular promotion (if you qualify for one) of your choice would be good. Also it really irks me that I cannot control my units from the military overview screen.

I a still mostly playing a CivII type of game with culture which is likely a crime of some kind but there it is.

======
                            Still no one have any ideas though on how to select all units, everywhere?

Comment

There is an option to automaticly promote units, but I wouldnt recomend it...

If you really want to speed up the game because it takes too long to select units... upgrade hardware...

My empires are incredibly huge in most games on huge maps, and I have no issues with lag delay... But I had an extra $600 bones to spend and I also happen to prefer micromanagement.
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Working...
                              X