This is ejafus's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    20:51

Select ALL Units, Everywhere

Heya,

Something that has been frustrating me for some time is a couple of the unit selection methods, or lack thereof. Please let me know if any of you know of a command or other way to do the following:

a) select all units of your empire, everywhere (not just in your city or square), and be able to do things with them (ie. delete, promote, move)

b) select all units of the same type in your empire, everywhere (not just in your city or square), and be able to do things with them (ie. delete, promote, move)

c) when "selecting all" in a city, being able to actually select all. If there are sea units, selecting all only selects sea units (even if there are 20 units in the city and 18 of those aren't sea). Same thing for the air units (if no sea units).

-----------
    A search of this site & the Internet hasn't helped me, but if it's already out there, please redirect!

Thanks in advance!

Lancer
    Oregon Coast, USA! or Bohol, Philippines!
    Country
    This is Lancer's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time

"Select ALL Units, Everywhere"

So YOU'RE the one that's been moving my units around!
    Moderator @ WePlayCiv
    Moderator @ BRR Games
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

rah
    Country
    This is rah's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:51
    B) select unit, hold alt key, select promote option done.

I like this one because it tells you how much it costs to promote all units of that type so you can decide if you want to do them all or if you have to cherry pick them since you don't have enough money.

C) right click and choose selection option.
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

ejafus
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by rah
    B) select unit, hold alt key, select promote option done.

I like this one because it tells you how much it costs to promote all units of that type so you can decide if you want to do them all or if you have to cherry pick them since you don't have enough money.

C) right click and choose selection option.
    Yeah, the second one (b)) is great and I have used it for some time for upgrading.. but unfortunately it only works for upgrading all units... everywhere. Now that they are upgraded, what if I just want to promote them all at the same time instead of choosing one-by-one (I want to avoid the long delay between going from one unit to another).

I could Fortify them all as you specify in c) but that's all I can do via the right-click menu (that would be useful to 'shut them up'. I could also wake them all up, but what if I now wanted to move them all to the same location or delete them?
    Last edited by ejafus; April 16, 2008 at 14:21.

Supr49er
    Country
    This is Supr49er's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    12:51
    Originally posted by ejafus ... Now that they are upgraded, what if I just want to promote them all at the same time instead of choosing one-by-one (I want to avoid the long delay between going from one unit to another)...
    Well, you could always group all units on the same tile, Swordsmen for instance by using the 'Same Unit Type' button, then give them all the same upgrade.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

rah
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Yeah, [control] click on unit will group all the same type together, for upgrades and other things. (since I always confuse same type and all units buttons)
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

ejafus
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Supr49er

Well, you could always group all units on the same tile, Swordsmen for instance by using the 'Same Unit Type' button, then give them all the same upgrade.
    True, however this would mean you would a) have to go to each city to get them there (unless they are new units going to a rally point....but my need is more for units that stay stationed in cities), and then you'd have to divvy them up into smaller groups to send back to each city one by one.

The outcome I'm trying to achieve is to diminish a large part of the micromanagement involved in units management. In larger empires it can be a bit of a pain.

For example, if I have the whole empire creating units, let's say 20 cities create a unit at once. I'd have to go to each of the units and a) wait for the unit to be fully highlighted/registered by the application, b) promote it and wait for the app. to register the promotion, c) Fortify and wait for the app to fortify the promotion, then wait for the app. to cycle to the next active unit. That's crazy and unnecessarily time consuming.

ejafus
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by rah
    Yeah, [control] click on unit will group all the same type together, for upgrades and other things. (since I always confuse same type and all units buttons)
    Yeah, this is great however unfortunately it again only selects the same unit type in that one tile or city.

I like to think more on the empire level than the micromanagement level (though each has its obvious uses).

rah
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Since I vary promos, it's rare when I would need this feature. But I can see some value to it.
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

Tattila the Hun
    Country
    This is Tattila the Hun's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    22:51
    Personally, I'd love to be able to activate, or de-automate all of my 30+ automated workers, for example, when I discover railroads.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

rah
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    If they're all already on build network option and just sitting in a city since they ran out of things to connect, won't they automatically wake up and start building railroads?
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

Ming
    Country
    This is Ming's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    You are correct...
    Lessons in Christianity.

Keep on Civin'
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

rah
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    I noticed this when a well was sabatoged later in a game and a whole slew of workers showed up to fix it.

I really wish there was an automation order to REPAIR sabatoge. If it's a resource they will but if it's a regular mine that isn't on a resource it would be nice to get the same service. You see those messages that another farm was sabotaged, and I'm usually to lazy at that point to see where it was, find where workers are resting and assign them to fix it. (at least till the city starves a pop point and I wonder how the heck that happened)
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

ejafus
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by rah
    Since I vary promos, it's rare when I would need this feature. But I can see some value to it.
    Yeah, I prefer a faster-paced and more en-masse type of game; I know I should pay more attention to promotions but to me they are annoying. I think if you could setup some kind of unit management where you could create all units using a particular promotion (if you qualify for one) of your choice would be good. Also it really irks me that I cannot control my units from the military overview screen.

I a still mostly playing a CivII type of game with culture which is likely a crime of some kind but there it is.

======
    Still no one have any ideas though on how to select all units, everywhere?

Hauptman
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    13:51
    There is an option to automaticly promote units, but I wouldnt recomend it...

If you really want to speed up the game because it takes too long to select units... upgrade hardware...

My empires are incredibly huge in most games on huge maps, and I have no issues with lag delay... But I had an extra $600 bones to spend and I also happen to prefer micromanagement.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

ejafus
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Hauptman
    There is an option to automaticly promote units, but I wouldnt recomend it...

If you really want to speed up the game because it takes too long to select units... upgrade hardware...

My empires are incredibly huge in most games on huge maps, and I have no issues with lag delay... But I had an extra $600 bones to spend and I also happen to prefer micromanagement.
    I agree that that is an option; my system is a bit dated but not THAT bad. AMD Sempron 3200 w/1.25GB RAM.

It also has to do with the built-in lag time that it seems to have. I think the most evident place would be in the 'end turn' button/signal. It also has to do with repetitive behaviour. For someone who works in IT for example, the last thing you want to do for fun is do the same thing more than once.

--------
    I did see that option in the options menu but I do not think it gives you much control over what promotion a unit receives. You might, for example, want a different promotion on a jet than you would on a defensive infantry unit.

rah
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Or even from my military city, I'll be cranking out inf. with the same promotions but one in every 7 or 8 I want a double medic to send to the different fronts.
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

snoopy369
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    15:51
    Don't forget about the Rally Points... I don't recall specifically how to do them (something around select city, ctrl+click somewhere else?) but I'm fairly sure you can do a general rally point also for all cities. Then you have all created units coming to one place, and you can do things to them there
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Krill
    Country
    This is Krill's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by ejafus

I agree that that is an option; my system is a bit dated but not THAT bad. AMD Sempron 3200 w/1.25GB RAM.

It also has to do with the built-in lag time that it seems to have.
    ...Yeah, it really is THAT bad...I'd be suprised if it can play anything other than small map sizes...
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

ejafus
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Krill

...Yeah, it really is THAT bad...I'd be suprised if it can play anything other than small map sizes...
    Ok.... That seems a bit mean.

Especially since the game requirements are for an 80% smaller CPU with 500% less RAM and the exact same video card.

But ok....

...I know I'm getting old and no longer willing to getting the latest in gaming technology.... sigh....

...oh the humanity!...

Tattila the Hun
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by rah
    If they're all already on build network option and just sitting in a city since they ran out of things to connect, won't they automatically wake up and start building railroads?
    Certainly, but they build what they want, not the RR from my main unit production city to where I most likely need those units, or that one city, which is building a wonder, and could use the extra shields from mines and lumbermills.

wodan11
    Country
    This is wodan11's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    I'm with Tattila. The first thing I want to railroad is a network between my most at-risk cities and my potentially-needed reinforcements, the second are mines in cities that need the production, the third is a network between all my other cities, and fourth is everywhere else.

If you just leave them on automate they tend to do that #4 priority intermixed with everything else, which is pretty bad in my book. When you consider it might even cost me a city or two (if I am DOWed at the wrong time), then it's a pretty hefty risk to leave them on auto.

Wodan

MyOlde
    Prince
    Country
    This is MyOlde's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    What are the shortcut keys to upgrade one kind of unit around your empire?

Are these shortcut keys set out somewhere? I've tried to look in the Civilopedia "Hints" but my eyes start to water about the tenth line down.
    Jack

Garth Vader
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Select one of those units, Hold down alt while hovering over the upgrade button and you will see how much it will cost, click and it will upgrade all units of that type.
    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

snoopy369
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    15:51
    Originally posted by ejafus

Ok.... That seems a bit mean.

Especially since the game requirements are for an 80% smaller CPU with 500% less RAM and the exact same video card.

But ok....

...I know I'm getting old and no longer willing to getting the latest in gaming technology.... sigh....

...oh the humanity!...
    Unfortunately the gaming requirements are not ... useful. Minimum real specs are 2GHz processor, 1GB ram, and a much better video card (hopefully you don't have the exact min spec video card, in which case this is 100% definitely your problem). Even that won't run a HUGE map smoothly due to massive memory requirements for such a large map...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Tattila the Hun
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    December 20, 2014
    Local Time
    Talking about videocards, I had two 7600Gt's on an SLI setup, and the game was smooth a silk. Now I have one 9600 gt, and it's a bit jittery. Wonder what gives? Drivers not yet up to task?

And I still run out of grfx-memory on occasion, which is annoying...