Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on attributes to alter for rescaled Huge Civ4 BTS Vanilla game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on attributes to alter for rescaled Huge Civ4 BTS Vanilla game?

Hi Guys,

I'm about to start editing my first mod. I'd really appreciate your advice as I don't have any experience of creating mods and also, due to having a family and demanding job, don't have much time to play-test the new mod.

Basically, I'm looking to alter the base attributes of Vanilla Civ BTS so that a game on a huge map is rescaled to accomodate the increase in map size. The modded game will only be played (from my perspective) as a PBEM with 100% human players. I love playing huge maps as it allows a greater amount of cities, large amounts of space to move into as well as greater space for military manouveurs. Downside of huge maps is that, based on the vanilla Civ4 BTS mod, it takes ages to move around the map and get things done.

The main changes I intend to make are around movement and number of cities. Therefore, I intend to increase the following attributes by x (where x is the amount by which the huge map is larger than the standard map):

- unit movement
    - culture generation by civ, building, religion etc. (inc. associated factors such as amount of culture required for cultural victory)
    - number of cities permitted and maintenance
    - time taken to build roads and rail (possibly)

Can anyone think of other things I should change? Are there any issues that you know about with the above changes?

Any help greatly appreciated. I'll publish the mod when I've built it.

Best Regards,

Jid

Sounds reasonably easy (just xml). I'm not 100% sure on how maintenance is calculated but I'd be surprised if it's not in the XML somewhere... for that matter I think the maintenance already somewhat varies by map size, so it's possible it's in that xml file as it is.

Time taken to build roads/improvements is probably in the gamespeed era file ... you could just raise/lower it for whatever speed you play at. It definitely alters with gamespeed, anyhow. They are likely tied together, though.

You'd want to modify unit maintenance if that's not already taken into account, as well as perhaps viewing distance (how far a unit can see - for huge maps, a ship probably should see one extra tile).
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
    X