video card shopping question number 1 - ATI/AMD(?) line vs Nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video card shopping question number 1 - ATI/AMD(?) line vs Nvidia

Assume Im gonna get a video card, to upgrade from IG. Assume it will be soon (though it probably in fact wont be) Assume I will be spending less than $80 US.

The IG on my machine is ATI Radeon Express 200. I read SOMEWHERE that IF I get an ATI card, it would somehow synergize with the IG, and would perform better, all other things being equal, than an Nvidia card.

Is this true, or hogwash (assuming Im not misremembering)?

Other than that, which kind of vid card do you prefer? (at this point Im asking ATI vs Nvidia - I would like to start a seperate thread on "clones")
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

The IG/video card synergy thing sounds like hogwash. A game only uses one display device so the IG won't even be used.

Sounds like you're in the Nvidia 6xxx series price range. I don't know what ATI's cards are like in that generation but I have a 6600 and it should suit your needs based on the games you play. You might even be able to get a 6800 at that price, if there's still any AGPs available.

Comment

Originally posted by LotC
      The IG/video card synergy thing sounds like hogwash. A game only uses one display device so the IG won't even be used.

Sounds like you're in the Nvidia 6xxx series price range. I don't know what ATI's cards are like in that generation but I have a 6600 and it should suit your needs based on the games you play. You might even be able to get a 6800 at that price, if there's still any AGPs available.
      I dont need AGP, I have a PCI-E slot.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I've always trusted Nvidia, despite their "commercialness" ego oozing out recently.

But in reality, the two cards are fine, it all depends on what kind of games you want to play. For example, if you want to play Civ4, then 6600 would be fine, if you want to play Crysis... umm... buy a PC, ok if you want to play hmm.. maybe Half Life 2, you would be better off with a 6800.

Also, that synergy idea discomforts me, I don't trust it and you probably shouldn't either.
        be free

Comment

Adding another ATI card along with an IG would result in such a potent graphic card combination you'd probably be able to play Crysis maxed out. It has only been attempted in labs however so hold onto your yamakas folks.

Comment

Wiglaf

LOTM: The synergy is bull**** (for now). Upcoming ATI/Nvidia graphics chipsets and IGP can work together, but current ones do not.

The kind of IGP you have doesn't impact the kind you can get with PCI-E.

Show us the ones you are looking at I can tell you which will be best for gaming.

I've no idea what you're talking about re: "clones"...ATI/NVidia are your only choices for a gaming card.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ok, forget the AGP then; you didn't specify that. Same recommendations, but you may even be able to squeeze into a 7600GS since PCI-E is cheaper than AGP for equivalent models.

Comment

He said less than $80 - so to be most helpful you would suggest the best gaming solution for that (rather limited!) price range.

Comment

Then he needs to give me stores he's looking at.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Newegg offers customers an awesome experience shopping for computers, hardware, electronics, networking solutions, and more. Upgrade your shopping experience today!

Those are the stores he should be looking at. Well, I think that's it. Order away.

Comment

I would strongly recommend the ATI 2600 XT 256MB for $75: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102700

It's the best card for <$100.

Review: http://www.thetechlounge.com/article...2600+XT+256MB/

Comment

That's a good deal. Hopefully their coolers have improved since the 2 Sapphire cards I had to toss. Those were 9800s so I would think so.

Comment

Just noticed it's only $59 after the mail-in rebate...really good deal.

Comment

heres where I got the synergy idea - this quote from ATI-AMDs website

"Best-in-class PCI Express performance
                            The Radeon™ Xpress 200 incorporates an architecture built around the new PCI Express standard. The PCI Express interface for graphics delivers double the bandwidth of AGP 8X. A dual channel system memory interface supporting DDR or DDR2 memory at speeds up to DDR2-667 ensures best-in-class system performance. The addition of a discrete Radeon™ PCI Express graphics card allows Radeon™ Xpress 200 platforms to scale to even higher graphics performance for the most demanding multimedia and digital entertainment applications."

I read "scale to even higher graphics performance" to mean there was an advantage to combining them, but from what Asher says, it doesnt have anything to do with the brand of card or IGP, and maybe isnt that solid even in general?

So to sum up this thread, either Nvidia or ATI is okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              I've no idea what you're talking about re: "clones"...ATI/NVidia are your only choices for a gaming card.
                              I see "verto, PNY technologies"

"Visiontek Radeon, BTC USA"

"Chaintek GeForce, BTC USA"

"E-GeForce, EVGA"

etc, etc. At Microcenter
                              Shop mechanical, ergonomic, RGB, and wireless keyboards at Micro Center. We carry the best keyboards for Mac and PCs.

What are these?

Comment

Working...
                              X