Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any clues how score is calculated?

A couple of issues here:

First, I played my first game on Warlord. Things were looking pretty bleak (2nd last place) for me up into the late 1800s until I finally decided that if I wasn't going to get the irrigation technology I needed, I might as well put some cottages up and my progress spiked. (The CE light bulb finally came on!) Come to about 1975 and I'm in a three way heat for first place. It obvious its going to a time victory, its just a matter of who. Anyway, now I have to make choice - do I put my resources in technology or culture? I chose technology for two reasons. One - you actually see your score jump when you get a new tech (whether researched or traded) and two - tech lead to wonders which also have a more easily visible jump in score. So here is the question - does generating heaps of culture do anything for your score? If so, how?

Second, I was kind of bummed to get a "Dan Qayle" despite winning the game. But what I noticed as well is that lower raw scores on lower difficulty settings were getting higher adjusted scores than higher raw scores on higher settings. I suppose it doesn't really matter as I'm happy if I beat the AI, but it still seems frustrating that I'm having to learn how to up my game against a better AI but getting a lower score for it. So does anybody have the 411 on how raw score is supposedly "normalized?" Below are my actual numbers for references. (All are ancient starts at normal speed.)

Normalized Score Victory Difficulty Size
    13500 6792 Diplo Chieftan Standard
    12786 5489 Domin Settler Tiny
    8082 7334 Domin Settler Standard
    2735 3412 Time Warloard Large
    1952 3256 None Chieftan Huge

Davy

raw score is a total of population, wonders, technology, and total territory controlled. this is multiplied by a sliding factor, determined by the number of turns that have elapsed before your victory. so early wins result in more points. this scale is NOT linear, so much earlier wins result in exponentially higher scores.

finally, all of that is scaled by difficulty, with higher difficulties granting bigger multipliers.

as far as i know, culture has no effect of score, aside from expanding borders and giving you more territory.

you won your warlord victory by time, meaning there was no multiplier for finishing early. thats why your score is so low.

Comment

Score is a combination of several things, namely:
      Population
      Land (20 turns delayed - a tile you own becomes score after 20 turns of owning)
      Tech (a certain number of points per tech, increasing as you go up in era)
      Wonders (a certain number of points per wonder)

If you hover over your name in the score listing, it will show you what you're getting score-wise in that breakdown. Culture doesn't get you any score, but land does (land inside your cultural borders; and NOT water). There is a delay of 20 turns (relating to a multiplayer exploit involving great artists, don't worry about it except to know that land points are delayed so don't expect land points from your last 20 turns of land). Putting into culture for a few turns is not a bad idea if it pops a few borders, as long as it's >20 turns to the finish.

As far as score multiplier for normalize - I believe it depends on the type of victory as well as the difficulty level, and possibly the year of victory.

Expect to get Dan Quayle at every level below Noble unless you have a fairly early victory.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Snoopy, you forgot Time (what year the game was won).

Wodan

Comment

I wasn't listing final score, but score at any given time... perhaps the former would have been more useful I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            I wasn't listing final score, but score at any given time... perhaps the former would have been more useful I suppose
            Yeah, especially since the whole 2nd half of the OP was asking about that.

Wodan

Comment

Nah. Everybody knows you have to filter expectations by what the client SHOULD want to know, and provide that. SOP.

Comment

Thanks all for the help. I'm sure my score will pop much higher on my new game now that I've gotten used to whipping and CEs and I know ahead of time not to try a last minute culture sqeeze.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  Nah. Everybody knows you have to filter expectations by what the client SHOULD want to know, and provide that. SOP.
                  Oh. Well, yeah. Can't argue with that.

Comment

Working...
                  X