Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to be a motorized vehicle owner.... yay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to be a motorized vehicle owner.... yay.

Are Jeeps good? I might buy a 90 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

What's a good older model car?
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

You might wish to invest in a vehicle that gets good gas mileage. Say no to SUVs unless you really need one.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I like to camp, also I don't plan on driving it that much, but I'm not sure yet, I guess I could end up driving it a lot depending on where my next job will be.

Good advice, this one supposidly gets 25 mpg.

Comment

Re: I'm going to be a motorized vehicle owner.... yay.

Originally posted by Kidicious
        What's a good older model car?
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Sadly, 25MPG is considered 'good' nowadays (I'm always shocked when watching commercials for cars that claim good gas milage and then say '22 MPG highway'... )

MPG is not constant over the life of the vehicle though, an 18 year old vehicle with (probably) 100k+ miles will not have the same MPG as a new vehicle (especially if the engine or other significant parts were replaced).

1990 really seems quite old to be buying a car - especially a first car where you don't have the experience of knowing a lot about them (is it your first?) Mileage matters, but so does actual age.

The best choice for 'sometimes camping' is generally considered the Subaru Outback, a station wagon like vehicle that has many of the advantages of the SUV without some of the bad elements (like mileage). Its MPG is in the low 20s, which is good for SUVs, and it's fairly reliable. The entire state of Vermont seems to own one according to one of my friends who moved there, for what that's worth
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I want to pay cash. No more than 1500, hopefully less. That's why I don't want to drive it very much. Vehicles that old wear out if you drive them around everywhere.

Snoop,

This is not my first vehicle. My other vehicle was stolen and then after I got the stearing wheel column fixed I couldn't get it started so I sold it to the junk yard. I was moving out of state anyway.

I haven't had a decent car in about 5 years though.

Comment

90 Jeep Cherokee? wow. how many miles?

i got rid of my 97 Jeep Cherokee Sport last year-it was rapidly falling apart in various ways, after hitting ~175k miles. Loved it, though, miss it

90 is pretty old though, I'd run it through car fax (I've never used the service personally)

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                90 Jeep Cherokee? wow. how many miles?

i got rid of my 97 Jeep Cherokee Sport last year-it was rapidly falling apart in various ways, after hitting ~175k miles. Loved it, though, miss it

90 is pretty old though, I'd run it through car fax (I've never used the service personally)
                The guy said it has 100,000 miles on it. That does seem too low. Also, he said it was rebuilt 2 years ago.

I do plan on using car fax. After I get off work I'm going to go get the VIN.

Comment

Also, he better have reciepts to back up his claim that the engine was rebuilt. About the only other thing to worry about is the transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    Sadly, 25MPG is considered 'good' nowadays (I'm always shocked when watching commercials for cars that claim good gas milage and then say '22 MPG highway'... )
                    Really? I get annoyed when my mileage is under 30mpg.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Cheap used cars with good gas mileage seem hard to come by these days. People buy them as second cars a lot.

Comment

CARFAX is $30 for unlimited reports. Does anyone have an account with them that can do a check for me?

Comment

Buying one of those new-fangled horseless carriages?

Those contraptions will never get you anywhere reliably.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Dang. Someone is across the street looking at it, and it looks like they are calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                              Also, he better have reciepts to back up his claim that the engine was rebuilt. About the only other thing to worry about is the transmission.
                              The engine was rebuilt before 100K miles?

I find this troublesome.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X