Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So What Happens to Astronauts if the World is Taken Over By Zombies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So What Happens to Astronauts if the World is Taken Over By Zombies?

So I have "I am Legend" sitting on my desk at home waiting to be watched, and this thought crossed my mind:

What happens to those on the space station or shuttle in the event of a plague/nuclear armageddon/zombie attack that reduces civilization to rubble?

Assume that the control center in Houston and backups are offline.

Can the shuttle/station function without contact for a period of time? Can the shuttle be landed without earth guidance, what about the space stations pod?

If its a plague, would you try to wait for it to burn out before returning? Obviously, the shuttle can't stay in space for an extended period of time...

I went to space camp and academy many moons ago, but I am ignorant on these pressing matters.

Read Y: The Last Man.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Even if you were able to completely replace the Oxygen you´re breathing (and have enough power thanks to solar cells) you´ll finally die by hunger when your food stockpiles are depleted.
      The only factor for survival would be a moon colony on which you could grow food oin greenhouses so that you might reproduce and survive until you´re able to recklaim earth again (somehow similar to the setting in the game "Millenium 2.2" )
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

no of course you can't survive indefinitely in space, you have to come back to earth, but can you and where do you go?

Comment

The last episode of Moonbase 3, "View of a Dead Planet", dealt with this concept. In it, the earth is doing some sort of major project that ends up causing a chain reaction, and we see how the people on moonbase deal with being the last remaining humans who have no hope of surviving for long.
          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Tricky,
            if the Shuttle has similar navigation instruments like normal planes (i.e. means for VOR navigation) they might perhaps (with a lot of luck involved) be able to navigate to appropiate landing sites on their own.
            (Assuming that the VOR network on earth still works ands wasn´t destroyed by the zombies)

If not (and their whole navigation depended on Houston) they´re most likely dead meat (as I assume you cannot land on any runway but need extra long ones that only a few sites have)
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
              Even if you were able to completely replace the Oxygen you´re breathing (and have enough power thanks to solar cells) you´ll finally die by hunger when your food stockpiles are depleted.
              The only factor for survival would be a moon colony on which you could grow food oin greenhouses so that you might reproduce and survive until you´re able to recklaim earth again (somehow similar to the setting in the game "Millenium 2.2" )
              Moonbases or Mars-bases wouldn't help. Before you knew it, some gateway to Hell would open, spelling Doom for us all.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I wonder what Zombies would do after they had taken over the earth. I mean there's no more brains to eat, so do they just stand around for eternity?
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                  I wonder what Zombies would do after they had taken over the earth. I mean there's no more brains to eat, so do they just stand around for eternity?
                  Bob the Zombie: I dunno. What do you want to do?
                  Ted the Zombie: I dunno. What do you want to do?

Comment

The shuttle is very unlikely to be able to survive i'd say. The space station people might be better off - they can wait out the zombies with any luck (probably 6 months to a year, IIRC, supplies on board, and extended a bit), and then I believe they have ballistic re-entry systems, so they don't have to worry about navigation.

It's just a matter of getting out before it sinks in the ocean (or landing on land, I'm not sure if that is safe or not but they certainly don't aim for it when they have the ability to aim).
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

This, like most zombie related scenarios, is covered (to an extent) in World War Z.

They nearly starve, then they starve.
                      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Re: So What Happens to Astronauts if the World is Taken Over By Zombies?

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                        So I have "I am Legend" sitting on my desk at home waiting to be watched
                        Don't. You might as well watch paint dry...

Good, now I saved two hours of you're life for you.
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

But what if the non-theatrical version that was too controversial to show in theatres is actually good???
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I've seen the alternate endings. They all suck...
                            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                              This, like most zombie related scenarios, is covered (to an extent) in World War Z.

They nearly starve, then they starve.
                              Kind of getting in some practice for the actual event?
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X