Alpha Centauri IRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha Centauri IRL

I know this is Off Topic to the game, but...

Just bumped into an interesting article

Nearby star should harbor detectable, Earth-like planets

Reading it they are talking about Alpha Centauri B star.

So maybe we are gonna have some day AC IRL

That's a great news!
    and I think very much In Topic.
    So far the research of extraterrestrial planets gave nothing for AC, but maybe in 5 years of the project they mention we will know there is or even are rocky planets.
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Totally on topic!

I've read speculation on AC, but this is the nearest I can remember that said detection rocky planets is do-able.

Hydro

Comment

SMAC will come to pass. All shall hail the glorius chairman who is currently living a quiet life in China.
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

BTW This is great news! If it only turns out to be true.
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I hope that they will find something that is for sure!
            What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

This is good news for humanity. I think a planet with the appropriate gravity in AC (if it isn't like Venus) would increase the odds of humanity surving.

Since being a solar system away from the rest of humanity has a whole range of advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                SMAC will come to pass. All shall hail the glorius chairman who is currently living a quiet life in China.
                According to his bio, he is 9 years old this year.

Cheers,

Dai

Comment

SMAC will come to pass.
                  Gawd, I hope it not. I'm not particularly fond of dying horribly and I even like to think that, maybe, mankind will perhaps find some way to not screw up the planet so bad we have no other option but to leave.
                  "I'm too young and too male to be the mother of a seventeen year old female me!"

Comment

I'm concerned that Morgan and Yang will be the only ones on the mission.

Comment

Originally posted by sir_schwick
                      I'm concerned that Morgan and Yang will be the only ones on the mission.
                      Nah, Miriam will also be there.

Comment

Originally posted by WotanAnubis

Gawd, I hope it not. I'm not particularly fond of dying horribly and I even like to think that, maybe, mankind will perhaps find some way to not screw up the planet so bad we have no other option but to leave.
                        Hey at least the humans of the SMAC unvierse have at least abandoned the tribal mentality of nations.

Also they aren't wiped out by their own actions or by the AI overlords. You see the glass half empty, I see it half full.

Comment

Hey at least the humans of the SMAC unvierse have at least abandoned the tribal mentality of nations.

Also they aren't wiped out by their own actions or by the AI overlords. You see the glass half empty, I see it half full.
                          Abandoned the tribal mentality of nations? Hmmm. In SMAC we call them factions, and they have much the same function - ideology, self interest, territory. I'm not sure I see much difference.

In the SMAC history we most certainly came oh so close to wiping ourselves out on Earth through a combination of war and environmental degradation. For me the way SMAC plays out we took those same proclivities and applied them on to a new battleground - Chiron.

Eventually we'll have to leave Earth or be burned to a crisp as the sun's outer edges expand toward Earth in a billion or so years hence. That is a long time, and with the lifespan of an average species measured in millions of years (at best) we will have long since passed from the scene.

Cheers!
                          Hydro

Comment

What a nice thing. We'll all be long gone before we have to worry about the sun.
                            Speak for yourself though, I intend on sticking around some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gremnon
                              What a nice thing. We'll all be long gone before we have to worry about the sun.
                              Speak for yourself though, I intend on sticking around some time.
                              You intend to 'stick around' for a few billion years?

I suppose you believe in reincarnation or something.
                              "I'm too young and too male to be the mother of a seventeen year old female me!"

Comment

Working...
                              X