Finally someone is thinking about the children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally someone is thinking about the children

VANCOUVER -- The federal government has quietly told Canada Border Services Agency officers to allow children to import tobacco products into Canada from foreign countries, an internal document obtained by Sun Media shows.

Anti-smoking advocates and the border officers' union are shocked.

"According to a legal opinion recently obtained by headquarters, federal and provincial laws on tobacco have no provisions to prevent the importation of tobacco products," reads a CBSA memorandum circulated in late 2007.

"Border services officers should therefore no longer seize or hold tobacco products imported by minors for the sole reason that they are minors," the memo concludes.

The directive means children can import tobacco products into Canada, including taking advantage of duty-free exemptions of 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 tobacco sticks and 200 grams of manufactured tobacco if they have been outside the country for more than 48 hours.

The undated memo, signed by Raymond Bedard, the Canada Border Services Agency's Director, Partnerships Division, Admissibility Branch, states that as of May 3, 2007, age requirements on tobacco importation will be deleted.

It adds that the "I Declare" pamphlet given to tourists and Canadian residents returning to Canada "no longer mentions a minimum age for the importation of tobacco products."

The union representing Border Services officers is appalled.

"Ethically and morally it's wrong," said George Scott, a national vice-president of the Customs Excise Union. "All our officers want to do the right thing. Children shouldn't be smoking."

And Scott McDonald, executive director of the B.C. Lung Association, called the change "bizarre" and called for immediate federal action.

"It would be irresponsible of the government not to close that loophole," McDonald told Sun Media yesterday. "It would not be very responsible to allow minors to import tobacco products."

An Ottawa spokesperson for CBSA was contacted and sent a copy of the memo, but has not yet responded to an interview request.

Scott said his main concern is parents travelling with children will use them to increase their tobacco imports.

"Parents who smoke can use their children," he said.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Is it legal to possess tobacco as a minor in Canada? (For that matter, is it illegal in the US, or is the law only regarding purchasing?)
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

What were they smoking?
      Blah

Comment

No, but illegal to sell to them.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X