Too much pork in Whitehall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much pork in Whitehall?

Hundreds of pig farmers will demonstrate in Westminster in protest at falling pork prices.

The farmers claim their jobs are under threat by lowering pork prices and higher feed costs.

The National Pig Association claims it has collected over 10,000 signatures for a petition against the falling costs and will hand it in to Downing Street during the march.

Farmers believe they are losing more than £20 on every pig that is raised to slaughter.

They also say they are losing out on EU farming subsidies and are forced to meet stricter welfare regulations than other EU countries.

A nine-year-old pig named Winnie will lead the demonstration today.

And a related article

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

RIP Winnie

Comment

The National Pig Association claims it has collected over 10,000 signatures for a petition against the falling costs and will hand it in to Downing Street during the march.
      A nine-year-old pig named Winnie will lead the demonstration today.
      Blah

Comment

"We shall fight them in the feed pens.
        We shall fight them in the slaughterhouses.
        We shell fight them in the butcher shops.
        But we shall never be defeated."

...Winnie

Comment

That's just bad. But
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Nice thread title.

Comment

Consolidation would be good for the European farming industry as a whole. Squeeze the small inefficient operators out of the market.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They should just sell their pork to China, where prices are rising.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  Consolidation would be good for the European farming industry as a whole. Squeeze the small inefficient operators out of the market.
                  Well, sort of... Squeezing out of the market sounds inhumane for those who''d been used to that job for a life but there's still a point to it all - European farmers are the last that I'd pity when it comes to a deterioration of their economic situation. The European farming (de-facto) nobility is the one class that benefits most from subsidies etc so I have no ear for their whining.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy

Well, sort of... Squeezing out of the market sounds inhumane for those who''d been used to that job for a life but there's still a point to it all - European farmers are the last that I'd pity when it comes to a deterioration of their economic situation. The European farming (de-facto) nobility is the one class that benefits most from subsidies etc so I have no ear for their whining.

QFT
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Cheap bacon.
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                      X