Civ4 Complete missing scenario maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4 Complete missing scenario maps?

I've just purchased the Civilization IV Complete package, and am puzzled by the apparent absence of two map files that (by all reports) were originally included in the vanilla Civ4 release.

The maps are the ones for the Desert War and American Revolution mods.

The mods themselves are present in the Mods folder for vanilla Civ4. That is to say, along with the Tutorial and Greek World mods (which work just fine), there are folders titled "Desert War" and "American Revolution" in there, and each of these contains an Assets folder, an .ini file, and Readme info. Both mods can be loaded without problem using the "Load a Mod" command, but neither of them can be played as neither folder contains anything resembling a map file.

Looking at the files installed with the game, I count a total of four mods with vanilla Civ4, eight with Warlords, and eleven with BTS. Every one of these mods (except for the two in question) consists of an Assets folder, an .ini file, and a PublicMaps or PrivateMaps folder containing the map(s) used by the mod. And all of them (except for the two in question) load and play just fine.

So I'm assuming that the two map files in question were either not included on the Civ4 Complete DVD, or they were not installed for some reason. I suppose a third possibility is that the maps for these two mods were installed in some odd location and can't be found now.

I'm posting this in the hopes that some Apolyton member has the Civilization IV Complete package and will be able to verify whether these maps should have been installed in the mod folders, and whether the mods work. (I've contacted Take 2 about the problem, and they've been singularly unhelpful.)

Desert war and American Revolution mods maps are in the games PublicMaps folder, not in the mods folder.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Dale.

Hmmm, yes, I see the GreekWorld map in there too. I guess the mods included with vanilla Civ4 didn't use the same packaging scheme as those included with the expansions.

But I don't see the other two maps in my PublicMaps folder. So either they didn't get installed, or I've deleted them for some reason and have failed to remember the fact.

I suppose the latter is possible, I'm getting old enough that that sort of thing is likely to happen. Still, I'd like to ask for confirmation that Civ4 Complete does actually install the mods ... I get the impression that Dale's speaking in general terms and not from direct experience with the Civ4 Complete package. ;-)

Comment

Okay, I just bit the bullet and deleted, then reinstalled the entire Civilization IV Complete package.

The maps for Desert War and American Revolution aren't there. They aren't in the mod folders, and they aren't in the PublicMaps folder.

As far as I'm concerned, this is CONFIRMED. These two maps were left out of the Civ4 Complete package.

Comment

Unzip to \Sid Meiers Civilization 4\PublicMaps\
          Attached Files

Comment

Dale,

Thank you so much! I've downloaded and unzipped, and now both scenarios load without a hitch. I haven't had a chance to play them yet, obviously, but I'm looking forward to giving them a shot.

There's so much to dig into in this complete package, I know I'll be playing Civ4 for the next few years at least! (Now all I need to be truly ecstatic is a SMAC mod. What Civ4 really needs is some Gaians!)

Thanks again!

Comment

hey thanks dale, i had the same problem too. but i was a chump and i had gold version. thanks for the maps

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post
                Unzip to \Sid Meiers Civilization 4\PublicMaps\
                Thanks Dale

Comment

I start in with smaller maps and more limited scenarios.

Comment

Working...
                  X