Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's List the Most Misused Words in the English Language

Nope, not "I love you." Not even "I'm the decider."

A comment I made in a different thread got me wondering which words in English are most often used or abused. There's no objective measure, obviously, so I say we nominate our own. My nominees:

1. Literally - The most abused; almost always used to mean it's exact opposite, "figuratively."

2. Ironically - Almost never used to describe something ironic; usually used to mean "coincidently" or "surprisingly."

3. Penultimate - Used as a synonym for ultimate by people who think four-syllable words will make them sound smarter (I'm just messing, with you, Oerdin )

What are yours?
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Due (from "due to")
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Ive never seen someone use literally for figuratively

I agree on ironic/ironically, think of the Alanis song
      I need a foot massage

Comment

loose and lose, here.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

affect/effect. In fact I am pretty sure a lot of people do not even know the word "affect" even exists and just use "effect" for both.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Patriot.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Terrorist
              Quendelie axan!

Comment

Evil.
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.â€
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Impacted.

It is rarely used correctly.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                    affect/effect. In fact I am pretty sure a lot of people do not even know the word "affect" even exists and just use "effect" for both.
                    Ironically, this is the penultimate word whose affect have impacted us greatly (literally).
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                      Impacted.

It is rarely used correctly.

ACK!
                      That's one of my GF's pet peeves.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

What do you mean we can't smoke on top of the petrol tank when the label says it's highly inflammable?

Comment

"war"

Comment

Asher

Originally posted by Barnabas
                            Ive never seen someone use literally for figuratively

I agree on ironic/ironically, think of the Alanis song
                            You have been owned, like everyone else who criticizes that song. The song itself is ironic because the lyrics don't really represent anything ironic despite claiming to. Alanis herself has said this, perhaps you should watch MTV before launching into tirades about menopausal woman music.

Comment

Oh, and before someone gets cute and says "owned" is one of the most misused words in the English language, go try getting some more gamerscore points on Halo and play with your overproduced Warhammer set, I am out of time for your antics.

Comment

Working...
                              X