Non-multiplayer Windows version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-multiplayer Windows version?

OK, I'm interested in FreeCiv, but I don't have a Unix machine. When I try to run the Windows port, it hangs up when I try to connect to the server. Since I just want to play against the computer, is there any way to produce a standalone Windows version that doesn't need to connect to a server?

I realize all the work on this program is done on a volunteer basis, and I may be asking for a lot. But I'm asking nicely...

The same game works for single player and multiplayer. Just

1) start a server (in a DOS window)
    2) start a client
    3) connect the client to the server by pressing "OK" in the connect dialog the client popped up
    4) in the server type "set aifill 8"
    5) in the server type "start"

If this doesn't work please say excactly what went wrong, including error message.
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Thue - When I start the client from a DOS window, it looks like this:
      C:\Freeciv>civcli~1
      1: Could not open file "c:\Freeciv/.civclientrc"

From what I read, I can ignore this error, but I'm including it for completeness' sake.

When I click the "Connect" button in the "Connect to Freeciv Server" window, nothing happens for about a minute. Then, the message "No such file or directory" pops up in the Freeciv window. Subsequent attempts to connect cause the message "bad file descriptor" to appear in the Freeciv window. I tried typing "set aifill=5" and "start" in the server window, and get the message "Not enough players, game will not start.".

Comment

Is the network stuff set up? Freeciv is network based even when running in single player. Ask someone who knows more about windows...

-----------
        The box said win95 or better, so I installed linux
        http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

I asume you use the version from Andreas Kemnade.

Either add "set home=c:\Freeciv" to your autoexec.bat or make a bat file for each the server and the client.
          if you changed your autoexec Restart Windows.

Now start the server!!!!
          With the mouse swich out of the server window.
          Then start the client.
          Logg-in.
          Go back to the server type aifill=8 or what ever number you like then press <enter> type start and press <enter> again.
          Again with the mause swich to the game and everything should work fine.

Using <ALT>+<TAB> to swich out of the server window causes it to wait for a <RETURN> befor processing anything sent by the client.

Hope this solves your problem.

Martin the Dane

[This message has been edited by Martin the Dane (edited August 24, 2000).]
          Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
          Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

Martin - Thanks for the tip on using the mouse instead of alt-tab to switch windows, but that still didn't help. The program is tantalizingly close to running, but seems not to like something in my setup. I am running Artisoft i.Share, which shares a single internet connection over our local network.

Comment

Try disabling some of the things you have running in the background, Artisoft i.Share sounds like an exelent choice for a starter, and then se if the game will run, if not try somethuing else. In this way you might be able to find the cause. If/When you do, write a good description of the problem, and solution and send it to Andreas (if it is his version).

Oh by the way, you don't by any chance use Outlook Express? If so don't run it while playing Freeciv. (I had some strange behavioure that caused by OE) Note that OE has a 'feature' that leaves it in memory after you close it, the only way to get ridd of it is to use ctr+alt+del after closing it down and then kill the process.

Martin the Dane
              Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
              Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

Working...
              X