So I have the Windows version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I have the Windows version

Unzipped it to a folder on the desktop, doubleclick civclient (assuming I want to play single player?), then it tells me it cannot find my home directory.

Now what?
    "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Kyle - open a DOS window, and type

SET HOME=C:\FREECIV

or wherever you have Freeciv installed. Better still, put this line into your autoexec.bat file. I did that, and can start civserver and civclient. Civserver seems to be working OK, but civclient immediately complains about
    1: Could not open file "c:\freeciv/.civclientrc"

When I try to Connect to localhost, name "name", port 5555, the Freeciv window displays "No such file or directory" and that's the end.

I feel like I'm really close to having this program running, but have no idea what to do next...

Comment

Which version of Freeciv are you guys using, the one that requires X window system, or the one that doesn't?

quote:

Have you checked if .civclientrc (it's the main configuration file for the client, btw) exists in that directory?

quote:

When I try to Connect to localhost, name "name", port 5555, the Freeciv window displays "No such file or directory" and that's the end.

Sounds like it could be problem with your TCP/IP stack.
      [This message has been edited by Kumiorava (edited July 11, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 07-11-2000 07:18 AM

This file is created when you first time save your client settings. Client can (and first time have to) run without it.

But path separator should probably be '\' instead of '/'.
        [This message has been edited by Caz (edited July 11, 2000).]

Comment

Kumiorava - I'm trying to run the version that doesn't require X windows.
          [This message has been edited by DaveV (edited July 11, 2000).]

Comment

I just downloaded Freeciv and I get the error no home directory set. Hopefully now I can fix that but the only way I've played is by starting a server then starting the client, connecting to server (localhost), then went back to the server window and started the game. I played for a while but I think it was only a 1 player game?? Which got really boring. But that was a multiplayer game with 1 player I think? I haven't tried anything else yet. Well better get back at it.

------------------
            "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
            "If the great Emperors of Rome, Egypt and Greece were alive today, do you think they would prefer Coke or Pepsi?"
            I AM CANADIAN!
            Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
            CornEmpire Owner/Operator
            Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

quote:

But path separator should probably be '\' instead of '/'.

Yup. This shouldn't be too hard to fix. Just change the separator in what ever sets the path from where to look for .civclientrc. I don't have the time to look it up though...

DaveV, if you're still having trouble connecting to your localhost civserver, you should take a look at your Win TCP/IP stack, maby try reinstalling it. Anybody know any Win diagnostics Dave could run to test the stack?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by CornMaster on 07-11-2000 09:54 AM
                I just downloaded Freeciv and I get the error no home directory set. Hopefully now I can fix that but the only way I've played is by starting a server then starting the client, connecting to server (localhost), then went back to the server window and started the game.

That is the one and only way to do it...
                quote:

I played for a while but I think it was only a 1 player game?? Which got really boring. But that was a multiplayer game with 1 player I think? I haven't tried anything else yet. Well better get back at it.

You have to manually add AI players. fx, in the server write "set aifill 30" or "create <AI player name>"
                [This message has been edited by Thue (edited July 12, 2000).]
                http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Kumiorava - I think I'm stuck with my current TCP/IP setup. It's configured to talk with an internet server over a LAN. Changes in the past have messed up my email and/or internet access. But thanks for the help...

Comment

Yeah I figured out the AI fill. Thanks anyway but I still can't get that home directory set. The game will save and stuff but still no home directory. And how do you reload a game???

------------------
                    "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
                    "If the great Emperors of Rome, Egypt and Greece were alive today, do you think they would prefer Coke or Pepsi?"
                    I AM CANADIAN!
                    Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
                    CornEmpire Owner/Operator
                    Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

quote:

Yeah I figured out the AI fill. Thanks anyway but I still can't get that home directory set.

With my quite limited windows knowledge I think that if you don't set it at autoexec.bat, you need to run civclient from the same DOS Prompt you used SET command at.

quote:

And how do you reload a game???

Run civserver from DOS prompt:
                      civserver -f savename

You probably should check out also other options for both civserver and civclient with option '--help' or '-h'.

Comment

Working...
                      X