X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Console Wars: The Clone Wars

Previous thread: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=172348

MS just announced Xbox Live Community Games:These will be community games that can be shared with everyone through Live. Four steps: Create, submit, peer review, play. The community gets to manage it.

From IGN's liveblog:

11:02: As of right now you can go to XBL Marketplace to download free trial downloads of a few of the games shown.

11:02: Quick thought: This is really going to make budget XBLA games look bad.

11:00: Little Gamers is another example. Game features chainsaws and zombies with a cartoony look. Also has beer and shotguns with Matrix bullet effects. It's a side-scroller. Now a video is being shown that highlights other community games.

10:59: Showing game JellyCar as an example. Game is about physics and not sound or graphics. Looks like crayons on graph paper.

10:58: Peer Review section -- First they look for prohibited content. Next they check the descriptors to make sure they're correct, too. Finally, play -- Thousands of games given to millions of players.

10:58: First part of submitting -- have a creator identity. Similar to an Xbox Live identity. Tell community what is in game. Blood, injuries..etc.

10:57: Ground rules: respect IP, no objectionable content.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Now they are demoing XNA on Zunes and connectivity with Xbox Live.

Epic is now onstage, right now talking about all of the new stuff they added to Unreal Engine 3.0 since Gears of War launched.

Edit: Some of the UE3 additions since Gears of War:
    - Ambient Occlusion technology: Better shadows
    - Soft body physics
    - Destructible environments
    Last edited by Asher; February 20, 2008, 15:20.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ninja Gaiden II, confirmed exclusive to the 360 and available June 3, 2008.

Comment

Gears of War 2 announced. Xbox 360 exclusive, published by Microsoft again, November 2008 release.

Comment

so much for the year of the ps3

Comment

More from GDC08

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

7 games will be put on the Marketplace to show what kind of games users should expect from Community Games. (JellyCar, Little Gamers, The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, TriLinea, RocketBall, ProximityHD, Culture)

Comment

Some of the games:

JellyCar:

Little Gamers:

Rocketball:

The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai

ProximityHD:

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                  so much for the year of the ps3
                  Still early, but I have my doubts. I told my brother he shouldn't let the PlayStation brand blind him, and get a 360, but he didn't listen. I just hope the PS3 doesn't die. I'm certain it will never be close to winning anything.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Gears of War 2 trailer:

Ninja Gaiden 2 trailer:

Comment

Some good games are certainly on the horizon. But I'm suspicious about the 'community' games.

Comment

Why? There's all kinds of good simple "community" games. Ever played the flash games on Newgrounds?

There's amazing potential here, but they're different types of games than XBLA or commercial games.

Comment

There's potential sure.

But if this was a Wii feature you'd be the first calling it a gimmick. I'll be convinced when and if there's a realisable benefit to gamers.

Comment

Epic is now onstage, right now talking about all of the new stuff they added to Unreal Engine 3.0 since Gears of War launched.

Edit: Some of the UE3 additions since Gears of War:
                            - Ambient Occlusion technology: Better shadows
                            - Soft body physics
                            - Destructible environments
                            Gears of war 2, now judging by the trailer that looks like a real work of art. I wonder what stunning improvements it will have, hopefully better shadows!!1 I mean GoW was great but better shadows and soft body physics would just like put it over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                              There's potential sure.

But if this was a Wii feature you'd be the first calling it a gimmick. I'll be convinced when and if there's a realisable benefit to gamers.
                              There already are 7 original games for download right now...

Comment

Working...
                              X