Fantasy Baseball at Yahoo - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Baseball at Yahoo - Discussion

Its that time of year, yahoo has opened up its baseball leagues and we need to discuss settings etc.

Who wants to play a daily roster change league?

Who wants to play a weekly roster change league?

2 leagues?

STATE YOUR PREFERENCE

I'll play in a weekly.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I want to have (run?) an auction league this year. 8-12 players, one league only, one or possibly two day auction (no idea how long this would take) on gtalk or apolyton irc. No opinion on daily/weekly; it would be probably a modified 6x6 with OBP, SLG, R, RBI, HR, SB x ERA, WHIP, K, W, SV, H for categories.

We'd probably draft on a Sunday afternoon or possibly a Saturday evening (but Sunday works better for me), standard style with $260 available for 23 players, start 9 hitters and 7 pitchers with 6 bench players.

Any takers?
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I kill time until football. That what you just said, I didn't understand a word of it. I guess I could be a Bye week or season or whatever.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

An auction league is where you bid for players, instead of 'drafting'. It allows a more fair distribution (less of the "first pick advantage") and more interesting results (you can bid for the top five players if you want, as long as you don't mind having a bunch of scrubs).

Basically each person in order nominates a person and says a bid ("Alex Rodriguez for $12"), and then everyone else can bid on him at will. You have $260 to get 23 players (and have to get 23 players exactly).

The action can be a lot of fun in an auction, and you're more likely to get the players you target (as long as you are willing to pay for them...) It's how Fantasy started in the Rotisserie leagues...

Comment

So it's salary cap, more or less. I might go that.

Comment

It's not like salary cap except in that there is "money" involved... each player can only be owned by one team owner. It plays like a normal fantasy game, once the auction is over, it's just a more interesting way of picking the players

Comment

How long does it take the auction (on average)?

It might be difficult for me to show up at your time as I'm in CET time zone..

Weekly like last year works fine with me.

Comment

I'll play either or both.
                  "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                  "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                  "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Auction takes as long as you allow for selections... A bit longer than a draft, but not necessarily that much more (1.5m/pick in draft, 2m/pick in auction on the high end if it's competed, but often at the end it's actually faster because everybody has only $1/pick so it's just a draft, and one where you have a more concise list of players usually).

I'd say, maybe 4 hours at most if it's not kept tightly run, and 2.5 if it's very tightly run, for a 12 person, and more like 2 hours if it's 8 person? I'd be setting it in the middle of the day Sunday, so it would be your evening (it wouldn't go past midnight, i'd set it early enough for that not to be a problem).

Comment

Re: Fantasy Baseball at Yahoo - Discussion

Originally posted by Berzerker
                      Its that time of year, yahoo has opened up its baseball leagues and we need to discuss settings etc.

Who wants to play a daily roster change league?

Who wants to play a weekly roster change league?

2 leagues?

STATE YOUR PREFERENCE
                      I'd probably go for the weekly league.

Comment

I'd play in all three, our standing daily and weekly leagues, plus an auction league.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I would do a weekly league for sure.

Comment

I'll do a weekly league and the auction league.

I'm not that into daily leagues though. Sorry.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Last year I destroyed in daily and was equally as destroyed in weekly. Then again, 2006 I won the weekly.

I still found daily more fun (because I had more control over it).

I'd do daily and, to try something new, auction.
                              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                              X