X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britney Spears: a $120m industry

Britney Spears 'worth $120m to US economy'
    By Jacqui Goddard in Miami

Her career appears to be fading, her home life is in ruins and fears are growing for her mental health following her committal to psychiatric hospital.

Yet even as she teeters on the brink of disaster, the troubled Britney Spears is doing more than most to prop up the equally faltering US economy.

The pop star, who was sectioned last week in Los Angeles, allegedly for her own safety, is an industrial powerhouse, pumping an estimated $120 million (£60 million) a year into the economy at least, and is indirectly responsible for even more.

The magazine Portfolio calculates that while Spears personally rakes in $9 million a year, what it calls the Britney Industrial Complex – all the associated economic activity that surrounds her – generates on average 13 times as much for those who feed off her.

A court has awarded her father, James, control of her affairs while she is in hospital.

“The Britney economy is the equivalent of a company that employs tens of thousands of people. She¢s a goldmine,” said Portfolio writer Duff McDonald, a former investment banker with Goldman Sachs.

Among those who have cashed in are Elizabeth Arden, the cosmetics company, which has sold nearly $100 million worth of fragrances in Spears¢s name, and Jive Records, which has made $400 million from the 83 million albums sold since she burst on to the scene in 1999.

Tour promoters and concert venues have pulled in $150 million from her various tours. Spears, 26, can pocket up to $400,000 per appearance just to show her face at an event like a nightclub opening.

She has also fuelled an estimated boom of $75 million a year for the media, with celebrity magazines reporting sales increases of up to 33 per cent when they put her face on the cover.

The paparazzi who follow her every move – from shopping expeditions and trips to fast-food joints to more explosive public meltdowns – pocket a further $4 million from picture sales.

Last week journalists and photographers massed outside her home once again as she was whisked to hospital for psychiatric checks for the second time in a month.

Yahoo! reports that Spears, whose hit of last year, Piece of Me includes the lyrics, “I¢m still an exceptional earner, You want a piece of me?”, has topped its internet search rankings for six of the last seven years. Searches of her name increased by 60 per cent last year.

“Whether she¢s shaving her head or battling for custody of her children, Britney seems to grow more fascinating and, to some people, more lucrative every time she stumbles,” Mr McDonald said.

“As one leg of the Britney economy declines, say record sales, another increases, like her paparazzi value. She appears recession-proof.”

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

So they've finally found out a use for BS?
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

In all seriousness, does no one else find it a shame?
      She had it all going for her. Looks, a talent that she could have done better on using, now this is how she's ended up.

I guess looks, talent and money assure nothing.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Britney Spears: a $120m industry

Robert Mugabe: "Britney figure is grossly exaggerated, not that I care in any particular way.."

Comment

Britney figure is grossly exaggerated

Observers worldwide: "We agree! There's no denying that lately, Britney's figure has been grossly exaggerated."

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            I guess looks, talent and money assure nothing.
            They only assure a sychophantic entourage, unlimited self indulgence, and a complete lack of responsibility. That would drive anyone crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              In all seriousness, does no one else find it a shame?
              I think it isn't even funny anymore. If you ask me who a candidate for a suicide in showbiz would be, she is certainly in the top three right now. And I mean this without any Schadenfreude.
              Blah

Comment

BS could kiss my ass years ago, BS can kiss my ass now. And no, I don't mean that literally.

Comment

I would care for her kissing mine, but she could definitely lick mine, especially after I make brownies.
                  APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Life out of balance.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

This one cracks me up:

"Whether she's shaving her head or battling for custody of her children, Britney seems to grow more fascinating and, to some people, more lucrative every time she stumbles," Mr McDonald said.
                      Only about eight billion select people know, that she's shaving more than just her head. And she's "stumbling" a lot, too.

Comment

That's true. It's normal in the US for girls to shave their pits. In fact, I'm all for it.
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I have to say that I'm amused by her folly, but I don't think I've spent any money on it. I think that would be unethical, spendthrift even.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

BREAKING NEWS

updated 32 minutes ago
                            LOS ANGELES - A restraining order against the man who’s been at Britney Spears’ side during her downward spiral alleges that he drugged her, took over her finances and controlled the ravenous paparazzi “like a general.”

The order against Sam Lutfi was based on a lengthy declaration from Spears’ mother, Lynne, who says Spears met the 33-year-old in October 2007 and “essentially moved into Britney’s home and has purported to take control of her life, home and finances.”

The documents released by the court Tuesday ordered Lutfi to stay away from Spears. In a section of the order detailing previous harassment, Lynne Spears says Lutfi “drugged Britney, he has cut Britney’s home phone lines and removed her cell phone chargers. He yells at her. He claims to control everything — Britney’s business manager, her attorneys and the security guards at the gate.”
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Spears met the 33-year-old in October 2007 and “essentially moved into Britney’s home and has purported to take control of her life, home and finances.”

Sounds perfectly natural to me. I don't see why anyone would blame her for that.

He yells at her

Now this is really out of line. What, he's trying to influence her in some mysterious way?

Comment

Working...
                              X