Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly created sprite causes game crash

Hi,

I created this new atomic explosion, it looks good in spriteedit, it also looks incredibly good ingame (although it appears below the city, instead of on top of it), but the no1 problem is that the game crashes after playing the sprite???

Screenshot http://apolyton.net/upload/view/63108_nuclear.jpg

Does anyone have any idea why this could be? It's just a bunch of pictures played after one another, how can this cause any such problems.

I attached the sprite.

Thanks

Tellius
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tellius; January 26, 2008, 09:39.
    Only tyrants need worry about tyrant-killers

I never had a sprite crash before, usually it just fails to compile if the images are wrong somehow. The colours all look fine, I didn't check the alpha channels.

Perhaps E had a sprite crash before, I know he made a lot of sprites too.

Here's the crash.txt from trying it with the playtest anyway:

Code:
    Version 2007-12-15
      0x004251e3  [?DrawLow565@Sprite@@IAEXPAGHHHHGGG@Z + 0x73]
      0x0041b2a7  [?Draw@Sprite@@UAEXHHHNFGG@Z + 0x127]
      0x00417068  [?Draw@EffectSpriteGroup@@QAEXW4EFFECTACTION@@HHHHHHNGGGHH@Z + 0x78]
      0x00410d4f  [?Draw@EffectActor@@QAEXXZ + 0x9f]
      0x0043d9c8  [?PaintEffectActor@TiledMap@@QAEXPAVEffectActor@@@Z + 0x18]
      0x0042cb3b  [?DrawActiveEffects@Director@@QAEXPAUtagRECT@@H@Z + 0x12b]
      0x0043e75f  [?RepaintSprites@TiledMap@@QAEHPAVaui_Surface@@PAUtagRECT@@_N@Z + 0xbf]
      0x006e53af  [?background_draw_handler@@YA?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@PAX@Z + 0xaf]
      0x006873ad  [?DrawThis@Background@@UAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@PAVaui_Surface@@HH@Z + 0xd]
      0x006785bb  [?Draw@aui_Window@@UAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@PAVaui_Surface@@HH@Z + 0x2b]
      0x0040c1a3  [?ProcessUI@CivApp@@AAEHIAAI@Z + 0x183]
      0x0040c55b  [?Process@CivApp@@QAEHXZ + 0x11b]
      0x00406f94  [?CivMain@@YGHPAUHINSTANCE__@@0PADH@Z + 0x394]
      0x004069f5  [WinMain@16 + 0x65]
      0x007fbafc  [WinMainCRTStartup + 0x134]
      0x7c816d4f  [__onexitbegin + 0x7be55217]
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Hi,

Solution found! I screwed up the numbering of the various pictures.

The readme that goes with makesprite.exe explains that, in case of goods, cities and units, the first frame must be numbered 0. For effects however, you are supposed to start with 1 - which I did. It's wrong though. For effects, your first frame also has to be 0 (as in GX04EA.[B]0.tif) and I had to adjust the script file accordingly.

I'll attach the new sprite for anyone who might like to have it.

Thanks for the help anyway Maquiladora.

Tellius
      Attached Files

Comment

Excellent job. It looks better than the original nuke effect IMO.

Is it much work to move it up a little though? Like you say it is slightly below the tile it explodes on.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Hi,

I'll give it a try Maquiladora, I'm still not satisfied with the colors anyway (I'd like the explosion to start as it is now, with a bright flash, but then the cloud should go more reddish) so I'll tinker with the center point info in the script file while I'm at it.

I now have two nukes. The first one is the normal nuke as it is in plain vanilla CtP2, with the normal explosion effect that goes with it, and the second, hydrogen ICBM one, with unlimited range and more damage (and of course this new effect to represent that).

Initially, I wanted to replace the original nuke with a bomb, that must be carried by bomber to its destination, but I'm guessing the AI won't be able to use it.

I'll keep you posted.

Tellius

Comment

Working...
          X