No announcement yet.

Diplogame HOTW XII Ragnarok - Story Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy LzPrt, glad I got here late, because now your secret is still safe-from me at any rate . Anyway, keeping this short so as not to disturb the story flow.

Comment

The Rise of Christopher the Yankee...

Jefferson and Arnold arrived in Richmond on a fine day, the sun blanketed the lush American countryside and both men were quite happy to be home after spending years in Carpathia negotiating a settlement with their leader Count Tepes. They were happy to be home, but even happier that they were bearing great news; the Americans and Carpathians had come to tentative terms regarding the status of the New York settlement as well as the future settlements and relationship between both nations. While all of Samuel's demands were not men, the two were quite assured of themselves that they would be well recieved. The only thing left was to tell the High Chief that Tepes wished for an official meeting to formalize the agreement.

When the two arrived at the High Chief's residence they were greeted by his nephew Christopher, who had just come of age while the two were away in Targoviste "Hey there, look at you Christopher, you've become quite the man." Benedict Arnold said as he greeted Christopher "Big and strong, you'll make a great general one day."

"I don't know if fighting's for me" Christopher replied "What tales do you have from Carpathia? Everyone is intruiged!"

"It was a little dreadful actually" Jefferson replied.

Benedict looked at him with comical disdain "Oh it wasn't that bad Jonathan, a little blood and he gets disturbed, their leader just has a different way of dealing with people, the country was fantastic, very orderly and the people were quite welcoming, especially considering the situation when we first arrived."

"Yes, Uncle Sam told me that Vlad was not pleased with the New York settlement, Sam is honestly distraught over the situation, but it seems like you two have some good news." Christopher said.

"Oh yes, we do, in fact the Count was-" Jefferson was interrupted as Christopher's mother, Agatha, burst from the front door crying.

"Mother, what is it!" Christopher said, coming to his mother's side.

"It's Samuel, he, he won't wake up." she cried, her eyes were bright red and glistened in tears.

"No-" Jefferson said "This can't be, not now!" he quickly ran into the home, he quickly ran to the High Chief's chambers.

"Halt!" the guard said "You can't go in there, the High Chief has died...."

Christopher the Yankee becomes High Chief...

The passing of Samuel changed many things in America, and none of this was apparent at the time. The unity behind Samuel had brought together the various tribes who referred to themselves collectively as Americans; Samuel was, after all, the descendant of the legendary Liberty and was the final one in the direct line. The College of Electors didn't know what to do, there were influential families for sure, but none that could unite their people as Samuel had done. The various little settlements and statelets had all become more insulated after his passing, choosing to run their own affairs for the most part and let the College of Electors decide the High Chief, who would now be relegated to foreign policy matters and even then the High Chief's clout would be challenged regularly.

The new College of Electors had recognized this change and saw this as an opportunity to establish themselves as a powerful oligarchy who would rule over America. What better way? The body was already comprised of the lords of America anyway, and since the states now had more authority why shouldn't the College? The College would now convene regularly and began to fashion itself the 'Senate of the American People' and changed the title of High Chief to simply 'Commander in Chief' as the role would now be considered to be more of a military role. The first Commander in Chief of America was to be Christopher the Yankee, nephew of Samuel.

This of course would also have an effect on the negotiations between Carpathia and America. True, an agreement had already been made using Samuel's points of interest and his chosen ambassadors (Jonathan Jefferson and Benedict Arnold, the former would quickly fall out of favor with the new Senate) and further the agreement was pretty much already finalized save for one final meeting between the two national leaders, but the feeling of certainty that Jefferson and Arnold had on their way home was lost. This was mainly due to the youth and inexperience of Christopher, and many doubted he would have the acument and where-with-all to negotiate with a man as powerful as Vlad Tepes. Despite these qualms it would be Christopher who would lead the Americans into a brave new era, more than anyone could guess this new young leader would serve an important role in his people's history...
      Last edited by Diplo America; February 5, 2008, 13:04.
      Land of the free. Home of the brave.

Comment

edit
        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Official American Message

High Chief Christopher the Yankee of Richmond, Prince of Virginia and Commander in Chief of the Americans

TO: Count Vlad Tepes of Carpathia

Hail Vlad Tepes!

I dutifully regret to inform you of the passing of High Chief Samuel the Yankee of America. He never heard of our agreement however his successor and nephew, the Prince of Virginia, has agreed to the terms and will be present to meet you at the date we set in your capital of Targoviste.

Samuel was a man who had great respect and admiration for Count Tepes and the Carpathian people, and I regret that we could not have finished our visit earlier so that he could join you in Targoviste, as I know he was looking forward to doing so. But alas, things did not work in that way and now young Christopher will be meeting you instead. Mr. Arnold and myself will accompany him on the way, and we shall bring gifts from America in honor of our friendship and mutual prosperity.

Samuel has passed into the afterlife and he will look down upon our peoples and guide us towards a bright and successful future.

-J. Jefferson
          Last edited by Diplo America; February 5, 2008, 12:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Diplo Ottoman
            A reliable method of sending messages in a lasting format not dependent on memory is being devised, so these agreements can be worked on.

In the meantime we respectfully ask that the peoples from Mongolia, Inca and Holland in particular do respect all the Land of the Great Rivers, from the flood prone desert plains to its source in the mountains, roads may need repairing occasionally, but its abundance of food, and our people, their multiple wives who are set up in self funding cottages and many children do require all this region for their future habitation.
            Sulamein the first,

I greet you once again kind sire.

Did Hollande not honour its agreement with you?

De Hague was settled in de agreed spot and as I, Willem de Despot, said we would settle no further south.

Please read diplomatic correspondence to be sent to you within a day.

Although we can not yet 'write' we have assistance from another nation.

Thankyou,

Willem de Despot

(private - sealed in wax)
            Dirk Ginkel of Huygens, Ginkel [RIP] & Clovis
            [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

de oz
              Attached Files
              Dirk Ginkel of Huygens, Ginkel [RIP] & Clovis
              [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

Your god is pleased.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

High Chief Christopher meets Count Tepes

It was spring when the new High Chief Christopher, Arnold, and Jefferson set out for the Carpathian capital of Targoviste.

"Where are all the victims of Count Tepes?", asked Christopher of his companions. "You had briefed me that Tepes made a point to display the fates of its criminal class for all to see."

"Odd", remarked Jefferson, "On our last visit you would be hard pressed to walk a mile without viewing the silhouette of some poor soul stuck on top a stake. The smell lingered throughout the countryside, but now the air is clear of the stench of death."

The trio continued toward Targoviste with it's personal guard in tow. The Carpathian people waved and offered advice about the road ahead. Very friendly, almost too friendly.

"It is almost as if they were expecting us", commented Arnold.

After many weeks of travel, the Americans made it to the gates of Count Tepes fortress. A huge and forboding structure situated precariously at the edge of a sheer cliff, Tepes fortress hung in the sky over Targoviste as a physical manifestation of the iron rule the Count had over his people.

Jefferson opened the front gate and motioned the party into the courtyard.

"We just walk in? Just like that?" inquired Christopher.

"You will find Christopher that the Carpathians operate very differently from us Americans," replied Jefferson. "They do not lock their doors, they do not hide valuables, they do not knock before entering. Tepes's "Code" has virtually eliminated crime from their society. It is quite an influencial book, have you had time to read it?"

"No, I haven't", said Christopher in a hushed voice. "It is on my to do list".

The trio made their way up the mountain of steps leading to the front enterence. Gargoyles glared down at them from various pedestals as they made the climb, and it added greatly to the already uneasy feeling Christopher had about this whole arrangment.

"In and out", Christopher whispered to Arnold, "Lets seal the deal and get out of here, this place gives me the creeps."

"Me too", chimmed in Jefferson, apparently having overheard the High Cheif's comments, "and I had to live here!"

They took a brief break to catch their breath. The town of Targoviste sprawled out from the foot of the fortress and seemed unusually quiet dispite it being almost midday. There were no other people on the steps, in fact, the Americans were not greeted since entering the front gate.

"Ahhh, my American friends, so good to see you again," said the Count having suddenly appeared at the top of the steps. "I trust your trip here was pleasent?"

"Yes indeed dear Count," replied Arnold, "It is always a pleasure to visit the Carpathian realm."

Jefferson stiffled a laugh, and was quickly elbowed by Arnold.

"Dear Count, High Chief Samual has expired, we present to you our new High Chief Christopher."

Count Tepes put his hand to his chin and spied the boy leader. Without removing his gaze, he commented, "It is quite unfortunate I never met Samual before he... expired. All of you come inside, I have a feast waiting."

The Americans followed Tepes into the fortress. Tepes himself although an old man, was almost as imposing as his home. Not physically imposing, but psycologicly. He walked ahead of his guests with a slight gaint, his long robes dragging behind him, his snow white hair propped up on top his head in two buns. His voice creeked and had a habit of varying wildly in volume. "Just plain errie," was how Jefferson once described the Count.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Christopher," Tepes said without turning around, "Good relations between peoples start with good relations between leaders".

"Indeed", responded Christopher, "Jefferson and Arnold speak very highly of you and your social advancments".

"Social advancments?" replied the Count, "Oh, you must mean The Code. Yes, it has done much to bring my people together. Once you weed out the morally corupt it is surprising how much smoother things run. We can send a missionary to America if you would like to learn more. We can also send a master impaler to help you implement the teachings of The Code."

Christopher shot Jefferson a worried look, to which Jefferson hand gestured not to worry.

"We look forward to the missionary and his teachings," replied Jefferson, "We feel the Americans and Carpathians could share many insights to benifit both our people."

Count Tepes finally turned around and gave a long pause as if comtemplating Jeffersons words, then announced, "Dinner is served!"

The dining hall was grand indeed. A long wooden table with seating for 40 was centered in the room. High ceilings and stone walls were adorned with various tapestrys and torches. A full grown roast pig filled the room with it's savory aroma.

One other feature of the room caught Christopher's eye. A dozen or so half foot thick wooden spikes were erected around the table.

"What are the pikes for?" asked Christopher of his host.

"Why, our entertainment of course," replied the Count.

It was then that Carpathian guards brought in a dozen bound criminals. Methodicly, they were impaled on top the spikes, their animal like screams echoing throughout the fortress. The Count viewed all this with a pleased smile on his face, while the Americans (save Arnold who had since become indifferent to impalments) looked on in horror.

"Ahhhh, the sounds of justice," commented Tepes, "I actually had to save these violators of The Code for several weeks due to rapidly declining crime. It's just getting harder and harder to find those worthy of the spike.

They all sat at the table and ate to one degree or another. Christopher himself was in too much shock and disgust to eat much more than a bite or two. After the initial few minutes of savage squeals and screams, the dining music degenerated into gutteral moans and the occasional outburst of incomprehendable pain.

Tepes waited for the right moment, and just as it appeared High Chief Christopher was about to jump out of his skin, he asked.

"I know you didn't come all this way just for a dinner and a show," Tepes said to Christopher while catching his eyes with his own gaze. "I understand we have some unfinished business to attend to."

"Yes", said Christopher almost choking on his bite of food, "A boarder agreement will be the keystone to good long term Carpathian American relations."

"Ahhh yes, boaders! I have noticed the American's lack of respect for such issues in the past. However, I do realize the founding of New York took place during your fathers reign, and therefore you cannot be held responsable. And neither can your people. My explorers have devulged the lay of the land to me, and I think an agreement can be made. I request that Carpathia found one more city east of our capital along the north coast of the great sea. From there, we will expand west and south, while America expands east and south. I will be willing to allow one more western American city, provided it is founded well south of current day Carpathia and is more "south" of your current holdings then it is "west". New York is already out of allignment from a geopolitical standpoint, let it be the last bone of contention.

"What do you say to such an offer my dearest Christopher?" asked the Count with both a smile and roast swine still clinging to his thin lips.
                  Last edited by Diplo Carpathia; February 2, 2008, 05:17.
                  YIM is CarpathiaCiv
                  MSN is CarpathiaCiv
                  Email is diplo_carpathia at plomp dot eu

Comment

The Land of Great Rivers and its cities have become a magnet for visits from other nations, most of whom have seen the greatness of our nation, happy to dine on our vast food reserves and with whom higher level delegations will be welcomed for signing treaties of various sorts.
                    This is in stark contrast to a nation that makes threats and demands which we think we have responded to appropiately so that long term peace can be arranged, to find that they place a further request upon us that we move even further a planned city site. We do have a philosophical nature as a people and therefore like to respond positively to reasonable requests, but there is a harder imperialistic edge to our character as well that can get our back up, and cause us to respond savagely to excessive requests. Their latest request gives them access to a long length of one of our 2 Great Rivers in the Land of Great Rivers and therefore cannot be agreed to. Our revised location of our 4th city will be proceeded with soon and defended appropiately.
                    We are a philosophical people and wish good relations with all the nations of terra, and Sulamein has no desire for war.

Comment

Required reading:
                      Ancient text, penned by French scribes ca 2000 BC on behalf of Hulegu the Swift of the Northern Plain. This ancient text is one of the first written statements made by any Mongolian, and it was apparently made to make sure that the French Chief would have access to what was apparently being told orally to the Ottoman.

"My master Hulegu the Swift has heard of your announcement, and I have been sent to discuss this with you. My master requests that I remind you that Ankara was a slight to us, as you settled it without discussing our claim to the eastern parts of the Khentii Mountains. My master is a wise man, and in many ways unlike most Mongol. Especially unlike his brother, Subutai the Merciless. My master wished to solve this dispute peacefully. Therefore he tempered Subutai, who was poised to destroy Ankara only last winter. Believing the matter settled peacefully, Subutai returned to his patrol of the Khalka river.

Subutai has now heard of your announcement and is in a blood rage. As we speak his men are sharpening pikes. They wish to make a forest of them on the hill of Ankara, clad with the head of Ankara's citizens. My master Hulegu has sent me as a last resort to seek peace. My master understands that there is much differences between the Mongol and other tribes. The French insulted us in a similar way, but my master has spoken with their leader and through mutual restraint and respect, we now consider eachother friends. If you throw yourself at the mercy of Hulegu, he may restrain his brother, and he could make our people friends.

My master requests that you heed his negotiation, for he is a man of words, but his brother is a man of action.

The Horde is...."

The rest of the text is unfortunately lost.

carpathia, I LOVE what you've done with the place!
                      e-mail: diplo_mongolia [at] plomp.eu
                      msn: diplo_mongolia [at] hotmail.com

“The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.” -Genghis Khan (allegedly)

Comment

...The young prince stared into Tepes' eyes and took a sip of his wine "that sounds reasonable, it is what my father would have liked (Christopher had taken to calling Samuel his father since his passing), and it is for the benefit of our two countries. That there be peace, cooperation, and of course understanding."

Jefferson began to clap, Arnold simply looked bored; "Well done, then we will raise our glasses" Jefferson said, rising from his seat "To prosperity, to brotherhood."

"Indeed..." Tepes said, he didn't seem amused.

"Now then my dear Count" Christopher continued "We should discuss the matter of southern expansion, or mutual defense as far as our southern interests are concerned."

"Oh, should we my boy?" Tepes asked, he gave a somewhat sinister glance towards on of the impaled "What exactly did you have in mind?"

"Well, nothing too complicated. Just an assurance, as we would give you, that our interests in the south will be mutually understood, respected, and protected, if the case calls for that of course, which I doubt it shall."

Tepes chewed his food methodically "I'm listening..."

"Well" Benedict Arnold began "I believe what the High Chief is refering to is the vast jungles due south of here. The great mountain range passes through vast jungles, where the blackskins live. Beyond is said to be a powerful black King, we had contact with these people centuries ago. It was not kept up very well, so we are unsure what their designs may be."

"Yes, General Arnold is right, we don't want an agreement towards aggression, just one that says we'll make sure our interests remain advantageous, that's all" Christopher said "Just a thought, this food is excellent..."
                        Last edited by Diplo America; February 5, 2008, 13:02.

Comment

The Expansion of America Under Christopher the Yankee

The reign of Christopher the Yankee began under much uncertainty; the College of Electors had opted to grant themselves powers that would normally be those of the High Chief for fear that the young nobleman would not be able to rule as effectively as Samuel the Yankee, Christopher would prove them wrong.

Christopher made his mark by quickly ushering in a new era for America by accepting Islam from the court of Tepes in Carpathia (in fact the star was added to the crescent to celebrate America's acceptance of the faith, the star being the symbol of America). In doing so he improved literacy throughout the American realm (a realm which he would increase greatly), and proved to handle diplomacy with Carpathia better than his predecessor. The two countries never had better relations before Christopher's reign. Christopher was even able to negotiate a better deal than originally offered by the Jefferson-Arnold trip to Carpathia. But he most important thing he did for America's future was secure settlements in (somewhat) far-flung regions, increasing American influence and clearly setting her up to be a future force in global affairs.

The jungles that exist between the great mountains (they would be called the Rocky Mountains by American soldiers who battled barbarians in the jungles) were the new target of Christopher, he saw in them an expanse of land that he felt America could not afford to lose. He first went about protecting the Americans from a barbarian onslaught in the north (the Carpathian city of Augsburg was razed by this barbarian army), in response American warriors retaliated against the barbarian army near the city of New York, an army led by Christopher himself (with the aging Benedict Arnold) marched south into the jungles where the barbarians were thought to have lived. This campaign was not only successful in eliminating a large barbarian army, but gave the American army great experience in combat, and many said would solidify man Americans' trust in Christopher as a leader. The best result of this incursion into the jungle was the settlement of Philadelphia at the end of the Rocky Mountain Chain and a general American land claim over the "interior jungles." The Americans also expanded south further with the founding of Boston, these two new settlements increased America's territory greatly and established two important port cities (something that America was lacking). To bolster his nation Christopher went on an aggressive policy of establishing public libraries and was a patron of sciences (new ship-building capabilities as well as the discovery of new herbal remedies were the results of new educational resources). All in all the reign of Christopher was judged as a success, but problems would arise within his court towards the end of his reign, and the College of Electors would yet again attempt to diminish the authority of the High Chief, or as they called him the 'Commander in Chief.'
                          Last edited by Diplo America; February 5, 2008, 13:01.

Comment

gg all!
                            Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Hello students. A beautiful day isn't it? My third lecture will be about the late Bronze Age to early Iron age in Mongolian history. It is a fascinating time period so please take as many notes as your touch-typing skills can manage.

-Professor Randall is in his element, he enthusiastically springs from one side of the stage to another, pointing to the maps on the canvas, remarking details and adding funny anecdotes. The tired students waken slightly from their early morning haze and become lost in the excitement of the professor.

So. As I was saying, following some apparent dispute with the Ottoman, that never erupted into largescale war, the Mongols continued to expand from their original home area, Runan'Gee. North of Beshbalik in the Khentii mountains was settled Turfan, or Desert Hill, in American. The Mongols also settled to their south. A very important aspect is the solidifying of the early friendship with France. Ogodei the Mighty, who after his visit in France became Ogodei the Lustful, lived in the area of Paris and became in many ways a French Mongolian. He spoke French, wrote French and carried with him this back to Mongolia. The Mongols would for several centuries use French as the written language of choice. All Mongolian literates would learn French in order to write, and as such the two nations were brought very close. The remainder of the Bronze Age is fairly uneventful. The Iron Age however, is insane! The Mongols are believed to be one of the first peoples in the world to smith iron. Apparently, it was Ogodei the Lustful himself, who after having inspected the Copper Mines of Paris experimented with other metals and found Iron to be a suitable metal fo weapons. Living in France he shared this knowledge, along with the knowledge of Masonry and in return brought home with him the French Alphabet, still in use today. This heralded the Iron Age.

The interesting thing about this part of history is the wars. The Mongol domination of the plains by use of Chariots continued and increased. A time came when a man could not walk upon the Plain without a Mongolian Chariot rider knowing about it. The Carpathians apparently discovered this in a very uncomfortable way. According to some Carpathian sources, the Mongols destroyed a scouting party that had crossed the river Khalka. A formal state of war existed between the two nations for a long time, but the Mongols did not care, and seemingly the Carpathians were too far away to launch any direct campaign against them.

As in our own history, in ancient times there were several minor tribes that did not belong or submit to the major regional powers. In the southeast of Mongolia, this was particularly true. Huns, Ghuzz's and Khazans are among the fierceminded people that inhabited the region, but were brutally crushed and enslaved by the Mongols. These tribes sent warriors by the thousands to plunder Mongol farms and pastures, but were always effortlessly defeated by the thundering Chariots. However, there was an exception. I mentioned last lecture the likelyhood that Bronze workers living in the lands between France and Mongolia, may have shared their knowledge, well, these people did more than that. Having been enslaved by Mongols and French, they lived as high-ranking slave-smiths, smithing was of great value and honoured in both French and Mongolian society, but these people were nonetheless slaves. Shortly after discovering Iron Working, they banded together with all the hostile tribes of the borderland plains and fielded an army of superiorly equipped soldiers. Sources indicate somewhere around 20-25 THOUSAND Swords! (1 unit = 5 000). Every male on the Franco-Mongolian plain it was said! This was an army that was unrivalled anywhere in the world. It could have destoryed whole empires. But the Mongols did not fear them. As the army of smiths and swords marched from the French border where they had revealed themselves, towards Turfan in the west, the Mongol nobles gathered. Mentioned in song, is Subutai the Merciless, Hulegu the Swift, Ogodei the Lustful, yes yes, giggle all you want, he lived in French lands... Yes, I'll wait.

*The laughter subsides quickly*

yes, Ogodei the Lustful, Yogotë the Young, Timur the Tradesman, and Kubilai the Blessed. The Horrible Horde as they became known met up north of Onon river and assembled at Beshbalik. Here on the plain southeast of Turfan, they struck the barbarian army with such skill and ferocity that the world was stunned. France and Holland combined an impressive force of some 20 000 to aid, but there was nothing left by the time they got there. Only an infertile plain, so soaked with blood that nothing would grow there ever after.

The Mongols managed this feat through skill and strength. According to Mongolian songs and French records we have a clear picture of the battle. Ogodei who had experience fighting barbarians in France was the first into the fray and broke one of the formations with Shock speed and force. Leaving a flank open for Hulegu, he harried the enemy and retreated out of range before they could counterattack. Timur followed suit, but was killed when his Chariot wheel broke and he was left out in the open. Enraged to see his brother killed, Subutai the Merciless crashed into the barbarian army slaughtering wildly before being skewered by a sword. Yogotë the Young struck the enemy's flank before retreating, allowing for Subutai to be drawn to saftey. The vast barbarian army was wounded and exhausted. One barbarian cohort marched north towards Turfan to throw themselves uselessly at the fortified hills where experience Mongol archers shot them down before they even came within fighting range. The others remained behind attempting to regroup. But Subutai would give no quarter and the Horrible Horde struck again. Ogodei crushed the last of the organized defenders and the others mopped them up. The French were astounded that nothing remained of this seemingly indestructable army.

Mongolia had prevailed in the most glorious fashion.

Ok, that's it for the first half of the lecture. In the second half I'll discuss more about the political developments, and particularly, religion.
                              Last edited by Diplo Mongolia; February 3, 2008, 14:11.
                              e-mail: diplo_mongolia [at] plomp.eu
                              msn: diplo_mongolia [at] hotmail.com

“The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.” -Genghis Khan (allegedly)

Comment

What can you trust?

Sometime in the second millennium BC…

It was raining, it always rained. The grey clouds covered the sky and lightning bolts signaled an impending storm. Aurnaud’s boots were soaked, he was covered in mud, he smelt like decomposing horse. I’m not a human anymore. I’m a wildling.

No wonder the savages are what they are. Living their lives in this dark forest, where crawling beasts and fire demons lurk, eager to take the life of any Ozzian. The wretched fools, maybe in sheer desperation, spend their days worshiping the vengeful sun of doom, hoping he will take them last. They not deserve to live. Tis mercy to kill them.

They where cattle, being hoarded like in the pens north of Orleans. And like all cattle they were to be milked or slaughtered. He couldn’t help but wonder which was the case. No, they weren’t cattle, they were much worse off, they were slaves. And this is how our master tortures us. He would not torture a cow… A smirk came over Patrick’s face, perhaps I’m mad cow, which thinks it’s a slave. He rested that night, the first time in far too long. He dreamt happily of eating grass and resting in the warm sunshine…

Arnaud felt tired, far too tried for someone so young. He wanted to serve in the Kings Guard… he honestly did, the fact his fathers debts forced him into it, was if he properly thought of it, in fact a felicitous circumstance.

But was he a part of the Kings Guard? The same group which had once traveled the four corners of the world, which deposed the forgotten king, which had killed the wargs of southern Mongolia? That had met the Bear Slayer? He didn’t feel like a companion to the King, he felt like his servant… You are his servant whether you live in grasslands tending your stock or if you wander across the arctic tundra beyond outer Mongolia or in the great Rus Desert, you are his servant. Even the exiles were his servants. Explorers they were called. And serving the king meant being his servant. Such silly thoughts.

The moisture must be rotting his brain , it certainly did Patrick’s. The buffoon, kept smiling, the other day he had caught him chewing grass. He had half a mind to have the slave whipped by the slave master, something always did stop him.

"I am so weak"Aurnaud realised. He wasn’t used to seeing slaves, Orleans was mostly a free city, and later during his months of training in the King’s Guard (division of Remi the II as it was official know), he had not seen any slaves in the armed forces. The addition of slaves to carry the supplies, was a bad omen.

They must be desperate to get to Paris, in these the dark narrow valleys, entrapped by the surrounding this was a thought, that made him feel old. “Blessed is the young, and cursed is the old for it shall face the fire...” He wept before sleeping that night, he was old, the king was old and worst of all France was old.

(End of part I )
                                Last edited by Diplo France; February 3, 2008, 12:08.
                                'Impossible' n'est pas français.

Comment

Working...
                                X