Assassination vs. Murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assassination vs. Murder

How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Assassination is the murder of a public figure.[1] An added distinction between assassination and other forms of killing is that the assassin has an ideological or political motivation, though many assassins (especially those not part of an organization) also demonstrate insanity; other motivations are money (contract killing), revenge, or a military operation.

The assassination euphemism targeted killing (extrajudicial execution) also is used for government-sanctioned killing of opponents.[2] 'Assassination' itself, along with terms such as 'terrorist' and 'freedom fighter', may in this context be considered a loaded term, as it implies an act where the proponents of such killings may consider them justified or even necessary.[2]
    Wiki to the wescue.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Oh wikipedia, what don't you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
        Oh wikipedia, what don't you know?
        Wow...no kidding
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Moderators would count as public figures, wouldn't they?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

So, being assassinated is kind of a compliment?

Spec.
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Yeah, shows people care about you, like when you're famous enough to have stalkers
              Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Assassination is the murder of a public figure.[
                I don't agree with this definition.

For example, John Lennon wasn't assassinated. He was murdered.

If Hillary would have shot Bill because of the Monica Lewinsky scandal, that wouldn't have been an assassination. [Insert appropriate joke here.]

I'd say an assassination is the purposeful neutralization of a government official or political leader by killing him or her.

Comment

More accurately, assassination is politically motivated murder of a public figure. This encompasses a slightly more broad definition, but I think is accurate; if Lennon had been killed because of his politics, assassination would be correct (and it is actually used by many people in any event, I'd say that more often than not when his killing is mentioned to me, it's called assassination).
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Evidently, you boys are wrong. It isn't defined as strictly political. BUZZZZZZ! Next!

Comment

Zkribbler > Wikipedia

Comment

Ooooh. One of those. I see.

Comment

Re: Assassination vs. Murder

Originally posted by PLATO
                          How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?
                          I don't think it's who you are, I think it's why you're murdered. If Bush slept with someone dude's wife and he shot him, that wouldn't be an assassination. If someone killed me to stop me from leading a protest, it would be an assassination.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

According to The New Oxford American Dictionary, 2nd ed (hardcopy):

assassinate: murder (an important person) in a surprise attack for political or religious reasons. See note at kill. (p. 94)

Murder implies a malicious and premeditated killing of one person by another ..., while assassinate implies that a politically important person has been murdered, often by someone hired to do the job.... (p. 929)
                            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Assassination is murder for political reasons. When the crown prince of Nepal murdered the King and all the rest of his family but one brother, it wasn't considered an assassination. Just a murder.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X