No announcement yet.

Assassination vs. Murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, it sounds like it's not who you kill, but why you kill. Therefore, the killing of an abortion doctor by a religious nutjob is an assassination? It sounds to me like it would be.
    "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      Assassination is murder for political reasons. When the crown prince of Nepal murdered the King and all the rest of his family but one brother, it wasn't considered an assassination. Just a murder.
      So why do people talk about the assassination of Tupac Shakur?

(NOTE: I will accept "because they're idiots" as an answer.)
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Governments assassinate rather then murder.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Because it was 'The Man' who was down on him, or, he had secret knowledge of 9/11 .
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

(NOTE: I will accept "because they're idiots" as an answer.)
            Because they're idiots works for me.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon
              So, it sounds like it's not who you kill, but why you kill. Therefore, the killing of an abortion doctor by a religious nutjob is an assassination? It sounds to me like it would be.
              That's my assertion, yes.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon
                I would say it isn't. Simple political motivations don't make someone an assassin, or else deadly voter intimidation would be an assasination. An interesting metric we could work with is if the killer was seeking a specific person rather then a representative of a group where one member would be as good as any other (ie. "it doesn't matter which abortion doctor is dead so long as a I kill one").

But I'm not sure if the political reasons are neccearily important. John Hinckley is generally said to have attempted to assassinate Reagan, but that clearly wasn't for political reasons.

Offhand, I'd say an assassination is the killing of a prominant political figure in a suprising manner (ambush poisoning or the like instead of military action or execution) because of thier political position.
                Last edited by Perfection; January 17, 2008, 13:42.
                APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Working...
                X