Tribal villages of the Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
    Out-of-the-box thinking is good for all of us. Not sure this one is a winner, but Heraclitus and the others gave it some thought, anyway.
    Well the rational behind it was two fold:

1. The naval aspect of the game is underrperesented
    2. The same solution worked in SMAC as it encouraged naval exploration

I don't quite see why this would be considered a bad idea by anyone, as far as I can see the only aspect lacking was timing (too bad I didn't get the idea before BtS came out )
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

Well the rational behind it was two fold:

1. The naval aspect of the game is underrperesented
      2. The same solution worked in SMAC as it encouraged naval exploration

I don't quite see why this would be considered a bad idea by anyone, as far as I can see the only aspect lacking was timing (too bad I didn't get the idea before BtS came out )
      the explanation worked better in SMAC. Pods SHOULD fall on water as well as land, if the planet has a lot of water. Polynesian boats as villages? Er, no.

There should be privateers though.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

the explanation worked better in SMAC. Pods SHOULD fall on water as well as land, if the planet has a lot of water. Polynesian boats as villages? Er, no.

There should be privateers though.
        It has been said numerous times: Game play trumps realism

PS: Wouldn't the pods sink?
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Pods did indeed sink in SMAC; that's why you sometimes got a hostile native water lifeform.

Anyway about the only things that would seem to be realistic are:

1. Abandonded site -> Nothing

2. Hostle Natives -> X Barb Galleys appear. (If you have a Scout / Explorer on board this can't occur)

3. A Galley was found but is damaged:
          Choice A: Spend X gold to salvage it -> Gain a Galley
          Choice B: Scrape ths ship -> Gain X Hammers in nearest city.

4. Map found -> Reveals nearby tiles.

And all the above would be on coastal tiles.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Hehe..

I like the Idea of the Kraken. You could substitute other Sea creatures though.

A couple of others for possible mention.

Your ship finds...

1..... refugees fleeing their land (could be natural disaster or an oppressive regime). Gain 1 worker in capital.

2. ... A ship wreck. You can salvage x amount of gold from the wreck. (post industrial only in sea or ocean)

3.... .an uncharted reef (coastal only). Ship sinks

4...Sea mine (industrial or later)

Could be others but most of the good ones have been mentioned.
            * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
            * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
            * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
            * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

I still think this is a good idea.
              Resurecting thread.
              I have no living enemies!
              Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                I wonder why there where so few comments on this?
                there just isn't enough real world incidence of this happen. The fact is open ocean is pretty much useless.

Comment

I'm against this idea. There is already too much random crap in the game to add more goody huts. However, goody huts are less advantageous as the game goes on, so perhaps getting rid of land goody hut and just having the sea version would be better.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

FFHII has ship wrecks on coasts that act as "goody huts".
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                    X