Tribal villages of the Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribal villages of the Sea

In Alpha Centauri the equivalent to tribal villages were Unity Pods, the neat little difference was that they were placed in sea tiles as well as land ones. This encouraged exploration of the sea, even in the late game.

I have no idea what sea based equivalents of Tribal Villages might be called; the graphic might be a Polynesian boat or something similar. The idea being that your ships have spotted an unidentified vessel and may choose to investigate it further. The interaction would be similar to that of a land unit with a tribal village. I also suggest that Caravels should interact in analog fashion to scouts and privateers to explorers, with these unidentified vessels. The logic, naturally, being that Caravels are explorers and are used to dealing with the unknown. Privateers are further more free from certain restraints of the law and are not recognized by others as being agents of an empire; this gives them an even greater advantage.

Here are some ideas for the possible interactions:

It’s a stray work boat/cargo ship
    It’s a pirate ship! (barbarians)

Hostile locals (barbarian galley/trireme)!
    (triggers event) An experienced (literally) privateer seeking an employer /small probability that he isn’t /
    The native boat reveals the location of their tribal village /a new tribal village appears in nearby unclaimed territory/
    The ships navigator shares his geographical expertise /reveals map, your ship gains either the navigation I or II promotion/ž
    The foreign ship is captured and sold: small amount of gold

The native boat leads you to an atoll:
    -its large enough to settle
    /an adjacent tile is turned into a jungle/tundra land tile with a tribal village on it/
    -the locals share their knowledge of fishing/whaling grounds /new sea resources in costal territory/

-(if running anything but emancipation or anytime if stumbled upon by privateer): enslave locals: Gain one pop point in smallest city, temporary unhappiness
    -(if running anything but emancipation or anytime if stumbled upon by privateer): enslaved locals rebel and take over ship /turns into a barbarian ship/, this has a low chance and is further lowered if you are running slavery)
    -locals emigrate (emancipation), gain one pop point, temporary happiness /low probablity/
    -(if running organized religion): Evangelize the locals /gain missionary in capital
    -Sell locals products they don't need/ Gain large amount of gold
    /only under free market, if you have founded a corporation this event is more likely/
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Something like this would certainly give an incentive to map out the oceans, rather than abandoning as dark areas which you know can't contain land.

Comment

It seems like a really nice idea.

Further ideas for your implementations could be floatsam which would yield a minor gold boost (finding something of value from a wreckage), getting nautical maps from the natives (possibly showing the closest unexplored shores or w/e) or even spawning an island (native 1-tile size island was hidden in the ocean and was undetected until your ship stumbled upon a native fishing vessel).

All in all, this does seem like a nice idea.
      "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Similar to the ancient records found in a monastery, you might be able to get a research boost from examining a wreck from another nationality.

Comment

I wonder why there where so few comments on this?
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Missed this the first go around.

I did like the fact that unity pods were on the ocean as well as the land. It was especially useful in alien crossfire when you were playing the Pirates, who started in the oceans.

Comment

Other bad outcomes:

Ocean: Kraken! Your ship is dragged down to the bottom of the sea by a tentacled monster.

Coast: The song of the sirens enchants your sailors, and your ship runs aground and sinks.

Actually , there could be a small chance of surviving the encounter and gaining a promotion: say, Combat I for fighting off the kraken, Flanking I for evading the sirens.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I love this idea! Once I circumnavigate the globe I usually leave the black areas alone until I have to screw them. This would get me searching all over the map.

Comment

Tremendous idea.
                  And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Some nice ideas by Fleme (the island idea was covered in the original post ) and Lord Avalon. BTW I think we should limit the Kraken thing to navies before oil, I just can't wrap my head around loosing a aircraft carrier to a sea creature.

I’m glad people like the idea.

Comment

Yes, in the modern age your ships will be damaged/sunk by dolphins placing limpet mines on them.
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                        Yes, in the modern age your ships will be damaged/sunk by dolphins placing limpet mines on them.

Comment

I wonder Y ppl post comments for these kinda questinos

Comment

Well, why did you comment on it? This was an old thread that you felt necessary to resurrect?
                            We like to float ideas around. This can lead to refinement and actual inclusionm in a mod.

Welcome to the Apolyton abiallan.
                            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Out-of-the-box thinking is good for all of us. Not sure this one is a winner, but Heraclitus and the others gave it some thought, anyway.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X