PolyCast Christmas Special 2007: "Girls Playing Civ"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast Christmas Special 2007: "Girls Playing Civ"

The first PolyCast Christmas special is a present worth waiting for. To celebrate the festive season and to mark the conclusion of the show's first season, an all-female panel led by regular co-host Makahlua discusses dozens of topics on the venerable Civilization franchise. Her co-hosts are first-timers Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney, Gloria "condor223" Nolan and Kelly "KMadeleine". Entitled "Girls Playing Civ" (89m59s), it's 50% longer and follows a looser format than standard episodes.

PolyCast is the official and regularly bi-weekly one-hour audio production of Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS) is an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice. The show will return for the start of its shiny second season on January 11th, 2008 with its thirty-fifth episode. The seventh blooper reel is to be published one week before that.

ACS is the only known website to produce its own Civ podcast.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

05m57s: Getting into Civilization
    10m50s: Engaging in Multiplayer
    15m35s: Playstyles
    21m26s: City Naming
    26m57s: Difficulty Levels
    30m41s: Interest in History

33m29s: In-Game Signs
    37m35s: Most Powerful Unit
    40m16s: Playing Morally
    42m33s: On Random Events
    44m06s: Pre-War Strategies
    46m08s: Favourite Civics
    50m27s: Most Useless Unit
    51m45s: Units in General
    53m47s: Technology Routes
    56m34s: Restarting a Map
    58m01s: Favourite Map Types
    60m32s: Naval Warfare
    66m35s: Diplogaming

68m21s: Random Leaders
    71m03s: Saving Your Games
    75m54s: The Modding Front
    77m37s: On Civilization: Revolution
    80m03s: Civilization V Wishlist
    81m54s: History Lessons
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Girls playing civ?

A very entertaining episode, a nice idea for a Christmas special.

Concerning the hosts:

-First of all there was more Mackie in the episode, always good.
      -And there was 100% less DanQ, which is something I’ve been asking since episode 8.
      -It was nice to hear something form older players.
      -The co-hosts were very interesting; brining some of them back for future episodes would be a nice touch.
      -They actually were girls. That was a shock.

It was interesting to find out that there actually are boyfriends/husbands who did manage to get their girlfriends/wives into Civ. I generally though that people who try that are inevitably disappointed. Some of the references to all the cute things in civ were hilarious.

Some interesting discussions, it was nice to have an update and a fresh perspective on some of the things that were already discuses in some previous regular episodes.

PS: WTF is CFC?
      Last edited by Heraclitus; December 24, 2007, 06:57.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Awesome show, made my Christmas shopping enjoyable for once

Hey, I did put 'feminine' in quotes

I knew I should've supplied you girls with a few female leaders to contemplate Some you didn't mention:

- Cleopatra of Egypt
        - Dido of Carthage
        - Jeanne d'Arc of France
        - Margrete of the Vikings
        - Wilhelmina of the Dutch
        - Semiramis of Assyria
        - Candace of Nubia
        - Zenobia of the Arabs
        - Roxelana of the Ottomans

You can effectively change the camera angle to 2D Civ2-style by Ctrl-Left Arrow and then zooming out to just before Globe View (if you don't do the Ctrl-Left Arrow you get a Civ1 look). Of course, the graphics haven't been designed for that so it doesn't look terribly great, but it's possible (and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mod out there that makes it look better)...

The guy who made the city name lists was me, the thread mentioned is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=214926

I love the suggestion of spies as scouts, I never realised that.

I'm afraid the ancient Mediterranean defition of pirates was quite liberal: pretty much anyone with a seaworthy ship that wasn't Roman, Greek or Phoenician was considered a pirate I reckon kidnapping young Roman aristocrats is a proper act of piracy though Not that Ceasar seemed to mind too much: he insisted his ransom be raised from the 20 talents the pirates wanted to 50, then once he was released he raised a fleet and went after his captors, captured and played with them for a while and then crucified them, as he had promised he would do to them while he was in their captivity. Fun guy, that Caesar fellow

I'd definitely listen if you girls did more shows like this

Well, off to do my remaining shopping with a Christmas Special for another podcast
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
          The guy who made the city name lists was me, the thread mentioned is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=214926
          right after the show was done, we were thru taping but still talking, it dawned on me that "the guy who made the city lists" was you! i had totally spaced on that, and hadn't made the connection when i was reading the thread. then it dawned on me that day after talking about it, and i told dan so he could laugh at me for being a dork. thanks for finding it and linking it!

Originally posted by Heraclitus
          heck if i know. i saw it in the Poly username of some guy named "Methos from CFC" and i like the ring of it.

Comment

Yeah, I've been there. Too many n00bs on CFC and almost noone uses avatars, so I never know who anyone is over there either. On more than one occasion have I gone, geez, this guy really knows what he's talking about, he's spot on with every point he makes, and it turned out to be me

I'll admit that you owe part of your invitation for this special to your Hello Kitty avatar, that makes you stand out like... well, a girl on a board full of nerds
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
              Girls playing civ?

A very entertaining episode, a nice idea for a Christmas special.
              Thank you kindly.

Concerning the hosts:

-First of all there was more Mackie in the episode, always good.
              For sure.

-And there was 100% less DanQ, which is something I’ve been asking since episode 8.

-It was nice to hear something form older players.
              -The co-hosts were very interesting; brining some of them back for future episodes would be a nice touch.

-They actually were girls. That was a shock.

It was interesting to find out that there actually are boyfriends/husbands who did manage to get their girlfriends/wives into Civ. I generally though that people who try that are inevitably disappointed.

Some of the references to all the cute things in civ were hilarious.

Some interesting discussions, it was nice to have an update and a fresh perspective on some of the things that were already discuses in some previous regular episodes.
              Indeed.

~snicker~

Comment

Awesome show, made my Christmas shopping enjoyable for once

Yeah, me neither.

And if Dan edits them! -- why thank you!

I'll admit that you owe part of your invitation for this special to your Hello Kitty avatar, that makes you stand out like... well, a girl on a board full of nerds
                Speak for yourself -- I'm decidely a geek.

Originally posted by KMadeleine
                right after the show was done, we were thru taping but still talking, it dawned on me that "the guy who made the city lists" was you! i had totally spaced on that, and hadn't made the connection when i was reading the thread. then it dawned on me that day after talking about it, and i told dan so he could laugh at me for being a dork.
                Aw -- I was gonna to tell that story...

heck if i know. i saw it in the Poly username of some guy named "Methos from CFC" and i like the ring of it.

Comment

I almost forgot about the spies, weird considering that I thought it one of the rare fresh suggestions I've heard in recent times. It just seems to me that strategy discussion has gone stale, its good to hear a fresh suggestion.

I'll definitely try it in tomorrows game.

Same here.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

We had a blast recording this episode. I would like to thank Dan for editing the 3 hours of talking and giggling so that our conversation was coherent (and for taking out some of the stupid things I said ).

Oh, and Locutus, I did mention Joan of Arc and I will stand by my position that she is JUST a great general.

I think I'm going to move to Peepsville of the Candyland Empire. It sounds like a happy place
                    In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                      We had a blast recording this episode.
                      And it sounds like it.

I would like to thank Dan for editing the 3 hours of talking and giggling so that our conversation was coherent (and for taking out some of the stupid things I said ).
                      You're welcome. As I can understand reasons why so few comments are made about the editing, thank you for saying so.

Though I don't recall what "stupid things" you're referring to, I'll take your word for it.

I think I'm going to move to Peepsville of the Candyland Empire. It sounds like a happy place

Comment

Really enjoyed this episode. Have only listened to it twice so far.

For determining how much time I spend playing a game, I make it a habit when I am about to pause from the game for awhile, to:
                        Quicksave (Shift-F5); Pause Game;
                        and then to make sure I KNOW I have paused the game when I come back to it, F11 out to globe view.

ADDENDUM: Thanks for the Christmas gift!
                        Last edited by Jaybe; December 25, 2007, 16:53.

Comment

65minsXXseconds: gigglefest

Comment

Excellent episode!

Always nice to hear different points of view, and to know that I am not the only one who makes illogical game decisions.

And the elephants are not cute - they are vicious beasts of war, bred for their natural aggression!

Good format too - nicely "chunked" for stop/start listening - escpecially for a long episode like this.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Best episode yet!

I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X